VOGONS

Reply 4240 of 27502, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trank wrote:

Went back to see what else i could get my hands on. Im glad i went back, here is a Hercules Stingray 128 Voodoo Rush.

000.png

I believe this card is fairly rare? Not to mention it still has the manual, and driver CD.

The voodoo Rush is more rare than most other mass produced 3DFX cards but isn't popular due to the poor performance of the 2D Chip used. There are two main versions and the one you got is more common better performing version, the much more rare MX versions are noticeably worse outside of 3D. All in all you get worse 2D performance than traditional Voodoo 1 setups and the 3D side is 10% slower.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4242 of 27502, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Allmost finished installing Os2-Warp-4 + BeOS-5 + Win2K on my Compaq Deskpro Pentium-III.
Started by installing Warp without the bootmanager, then installed BeOS with the bootmanager.
During the BeOS installation, I made the apprpriate BeOS and Win2k partitions, formatting only
BeOS and finishing it off by installing the BeOS bootmanager on the MBR.
To install Win2K I choose it, and it reported no OS. When doing this I made the Win2K partition
active, and it was then only a matter of inserting a Win98 bootfloppy and then formatting c:
I know Win2K will remove the bootmanager by creating a new MBR. I will reinstall BeOS and
it's bootmanager one time more. After Windows are installed.

I tried to run the teapot demo in BeOS. This without the drivers for my Diamond Viper V550 installed.
Or any other drivers for that matter. It gave my roughly 160 to 180 FPS. Not bad for BeOS.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4244 of 27502, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finished off my Compaq PIII tripple boot. As it turned out, BeOS bootmanager does not hide other primaery partitions.
I don't know what it does, it just makes Windows think that HPFS is the same as NTFS and what is placed before is C:
Wich resulted in Win2K thinking that it was installed on the D-Drive. I tried to run Extended Fdisk on the harddrive.
Wich then resulted in write error's. In the end, I replaced the Maxtor 40 gb drive, with an Seagate 16 gb drive.
After that it was a breeze installing every OS on each own Primaery partition.

Had some sparetime left today, so I fixed up an old HP Vectra VE Series 7. Slot-1 440ZX Chipset.
I installed an Celeron 300, 256mb Ram and a 30GB drive. SB16 (ISA + OPL-Chip) and a Rage-3D-Pro-II PCI.
Installed Win98se, drivers, Doom1 and Duke3D on to it, and placed it up for sale on an online trading place.
I simply can not have that many cases, and I have no use for it anyway. And I do not use 440ZX boards.

Reply 4245 of 27502, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Testing the SBC which I bought about a month ago but didn't have time to test until today. It's alive!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

All the ISA and PCI slots anyone would ever want...

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4246 of 27502, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does drinking this count as a retro activity? 🤣

CrystalPepsi.jpg
Filename
CrystalPepsi.jpg
File size
470.98 KiB
Views
File comment
Crystal Pepsi
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As a more serious retro activity, I recorded a video showing how I made my own homemade dialup internet server for my 486 rebuild and other vintage computers that lack a network connection. I need to edit it down before posting it on YouTube though, because it's quite long-winded and rambly currently. That, or actually script it out and re-record it in a more professional manner.

Reply 4247 of 27502, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
torindkflt wrote:

CrystalPepsi.jpg

It doesn't count unless at the same time you go all Paul Bunyan on a tree with an axe.

Or unless you follow that Crystal Pepsi with a bottle of New Coke.

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-08-09, 15:59. Edited 2 times in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4248 of 27502, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Must be a Horror to populate them and adress the irq, adress conflicts =)

Crystal Pepsi ? 😳

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4249 of 27502, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:

Must be a Horror to populate them and adress the irq, adress conflicts =)

Unless you populate them all. The PCI slots actually have 4 IRQs assigned to them, and in the BIOS you can fine-tune the IRQ and DMA assigned to each slot individually. That takes about 3 screens in BIOS setup. 😀

My goal for that one is a W98 plus Voodoo2-SLI. I need to fabricate a mouse connector, and a SLI cable from a floppy cable because I can't find my old one.

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-08-09, 14:09. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4250 of 27502, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

Crystal Pepsi ? 😳

You could buy them all over the northern part of Germany in the 80's.

stamasd wrote:
torindkflt wrote:

CrystalPepsi.jpg

It doesn't count unless at the same time you go all Paul Bunyan on a tree with an axe.

Unless you follow that Crystal Pepsi with a bottle of New Coke.

Tasted neighter of them.... We had this:
(these day's, they are named "Albino cola")

frem-cola-uden-farve-stor.jpg

Reply 4251 of 27502, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote:

Crystal Pepsi ? 😳

brostenen wrote:

You could buy them all over the northern part of Germany in the 80's.

For those outside the US or who are too young and don't know the story...Crystal Pepsi was released here in America back in 1992. It flopped big time. New Coke (Albeit under a different name) lasted longer than Crystal Pepsi, that's how badly it failed. Eventually, a bunch of people started doing "Bring Back Crystal Pepsi" letter-writing and advertising campaigns a few year ago, so Pepsi finally decided to bring it back for a limited time this year. It's a gimmick pretty much, because other than being clear there's nothing special about it. It is LITERALLY just clear Pepsi. No special flavors or anything, it tastes almost exactly like regular Pepsi...I'd say 98% the same. In all honesty, I don't see why it's gotten so much hate, because I quite enjoy it. 🤣

Reply 4252 of 27502, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That takes me back to the days when you could find hidden messages on the Pepsi "Cool" cans.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4253 of 27502, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the last few days I've been considering whether it's worth it to buy a PC-98 system (that's NEC's Japanese PC-9801 and PC-9821 systems, not the Microsoft standard). Some of those systems are quite impressive when it comes to the sound cards included as standard (FM sound + MIDI).

Things that complicate everything:
- Although using i386/i486/i586 processors the architecture is completely different and requires special versions of MS-DOS and Windows, even the later systems that are more of a hybrid between regular PCs and PC-98. Of course they're in Japanese.
- Special video connectors that require a converter to attach to a VGA monitor. VGA monitor also needs to support a 24 kHz signal.
- System-specific keyboards.
- 100 V Japanese mains (but I have a 240/100 V converter for my Japanese Sega Saturn).
- Weight. 10-15 kg for the base case is normal. There's a few all-in-one systems with impressive specs that include a monitor, but those weigh close to 25-30 kg (i.e. the maximum that can be shipped out of Japan by conventional means).
- Finding a working system that includes a functional OS is difficult. Finding one that includes the original disks is more difficult.

Advantages:
- Cheap.
- Exotic.
- Games.

Reply 4254 of 27502, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Allmost finished installing Os2-Warp-4 + BeOS-5 + Win2K on my Compaq Deskpro Pentium-III. Started by installing Warp without the […]
Show full quote

Allmost finished installing Os2-Warp-4 + BeOS-5 + Win2K on my Compaq Deskpro Pentium-III.
Started by installing Warp without the bootmanager, then installed BeOS with the bootmanager.
During the BeOS installation, I made the apprpriate BeOS and Win2k partitions, formatting only
BeOS and finishing it off by installing the BeOS bootmanager on the MBR.
To install Win2K I choose it, and it reported no OS. When doing this I made the Win2K partition
active, and it was then only a matter of inserting a Win98 bootfloppy and then formatting c:
I know Win2K will remove the bootmanager by creating a new MBR. I will reinstall BeOS and
it's bootmanager one time more. After Windows are installed.

I tried to run the teapot demo in BeOS. This without the drivers for my Diamond Viper V550 installed.
Or any other drivers for that matter. It gave my roughly 160 to 180 FPS. Not bad for BeOS.

You don't have to reinstall BeOS afterwards, you can run bootman from a terminal, just boot into the version you installed by pressing [space] as the CD boot menu appears, or at the BeOS install screen press ctrl-alt-shift-T to get a terminal window.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 4255 of 27502, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lolo799 wrote:

You don't have to reinstall BeOS afterwards, you can run bootman from a terminal, just boot into the version you installed by pressing [space] as the CD boot menu appears, or at the BeOS install screen press ctrl-alt-shift-T to get a terminal window.

Good to know. Thanks. 😀 I choose extended fdisk instead, in order to be able to hide primaery partitions from each other.

Reply 4256 of 27502, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swapped out my 15+ year old Trust PS/2 Direct Access Keyboard for a somewhat newer and less used Cherry PS/2 RS 6000 M keyboard I got out of a stack of parts some time ago, as more and more of the keys on the Trust keyboard started to need really hard 😵 mashing down to actually register. This also solved a problem with certain key combinations simply not working (not the usual 2KRO problem - numpad keys that couldn't be pressed together 😕 ). This will do 😀 until I buy an actual mechanical keyboard... 😎

The worn-out Trust is going in the trash, although I'll save the cable + PS/2 plug...

Reply 4257 of 27502, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the past 2 days I have started, and am now part through a project of organizing and sorting my collections (I do collect other things apart from vintage PCs and parts). My basement looks like a battlefield now. I just hope I finish before the beginning of next week.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4258 of 27502, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This week I finished recapping my Soltek SL-54U5 (SS7) and KT7A-RAID (Socket A). Some issues I had with USB and CD-ROM transfers appears to be gone, and stability seems to be improved across the board.

I tried to 'upgrade' my socket a to a mobile Barton XP-M 2400+, but it was DOA. 🙁 Sticking with my unlocked XP 2400+.

Reply 4259 of 27502, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cut up a cheap busted case I had to make an open-bench platform. Doesnt save me space as I had hoped, however testing various builds is much easier now.

P_20160811_191820.jpg
Filename
P_20160811_191820.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7