VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13261 of 52725, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, it's been a long time since I've gotten some retro hardware (and posted in the forums), but this week I got lucky and wanted to share it here. I bought a bunch of cards as junk, and there were two interesting items:

1) Roland LAPC-I
Looks complete but unfortunately it has a blown-off ceramic capacitor. I didn't dare testing it like this, I think I'll look into replacing it (I can't solder but I'll see if I can find someone that does it for me).

Without knowing much about electronics, I think the rest of the card look ok-ish (besides the dirt and a couple of bent pins), what do you guys think?

IMG_20160810_155022.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160810_155022.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG-20160810-WA0005.jpg
Filename
IMG-20160810-WA0005.jpg
File size
141.79 KiB
Views
File license

2) Willow Peripherals VGA-TV GE/O
After some googling I learnt that this is some sort of a video titler card, from around 1990. It has an ET3000AX Tseng chip, composite in/out and an s-video out. The output combines whatever it's being sent through the in with the vga image.

I hope this one still works, I find it really interesting! Although finding the programs/drivers/documentation is surely going to be a pain.

IMG_20160810_164342.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160810_164342.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20160810_164440.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160810_164440.jpg
File size
2.1 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 13262 of 52725, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh crap, who would do something like this to a LAPC-I?

It's definitely worth trying to repair.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13263 of 52725, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:

Also if anyone is interested, there is a Voodoo 5500 AGP listed freshly for $110 on ebay right now. I have one, don't need another.

So that's the Voodoo5 that I just picked up....

More processing power for Deus Ex over my Voodoo4 4500 I suppose.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 13264 of 52725, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3dfx-HAMMERHEAD-FX-Ra … g-/162164142227?

So I saw this and had to jump on it. 30USD shipped. I never knew 3DFX made game controllers. I might have overpaid for it but no regrets.

Reply 13265 of 52725, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fantasma wrote:
1) Roland LAPC-I Looks complete but unfortunately it has a blown-off ceramic capacitor. I didn't dare testing it like this, I th […]
Show full quote

1) Roland LAPC-I
Looks complete but unfortunately it has a blown-off ceramic capacitor. I didn't dare testing it like this, I think I'll look into replacing it (I can't solder but I'll see if I can find someone that does it for me).

Without knowing much about electronics, I think the rest of the card look ok-ish (besides the dirt and a couple of bent pins), what do you guys think?

Congrats!

It looks like that card has been at the bottom of a pile for awhile. While it is perfectly normal to have those components leaning over or flattened, it seems like the ones on your card are doing so due to other items stacked on top of them. That cap you mentioned basically had its back broken by being smashed into another component. Also note that your IRQ selection pins are bent. One area that concerns me just a little bit is IC7 - it looks like you might have a bit of pin corrosion - probably just enough that it needs to be cleaned up slightly (in other words - no leg damage).

But really that board first needs to be cleaned! Hopefully you have someone local that can help you out with component testing/replacement. I am jealous! 😀

Rhuwyn wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3dfx-HAMMERHEAD-FX-Ra … g-/162164142227?

So I saw this and had to jump on it. 30USD shipped. I never knew 3DFX made game controllers. I might have overpaid for it but no regrets.

Hmm. I had one of these back when it was new. The original version gave me some issues (15 pin joystick port) when I was using a PCI sound card's joystick port vs an ISA sound card's joystick port. I *think* it had something to do with voltages. I ultimately took it back (even a year or two later) as defective and got a replacement Hammerhead that came with a 15 pin to USB adapter. I don't know if there were any internal changes, but the gamepad remained useful until my PC gamepad needs disappeared in later years.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13267 of 52725, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CkRtech wrote:

Congrats!

It looks like that card has been at the bottom of a pile for awhile. While it is perfectly normal to have those components leaning over or flattened, it seems like the ones on your card are doing so due to other items stacked on top of them. That cap you mentioned basically had its back broken by being smashed into another component. Also note that your IRQ selection pins are bent. One area that concerns me just a little bit is IC7 - it looks like you might have a bit of pin corrosion - probably just enough that it needs to be cleaned up slightly (in other words - no leg damage).

But really that board first needs to be cleaned! Hopefully you have someone local that can help you out with component testing/replacement. I am jealous! 😀

Thanks for the insight! I don't even want to think what this poor card went through. It certainly was at the bottom of the box when I received it.

I will clean it this weekend with compressed air and q-tips, and inspect if there's some further damage. Then I'll look into replacing that cap, I hope it's still salvageable!

Reply 13268 of 52725, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

I agree with you, but there are people who are willing to pay these prices. From what I've seen lately, $110 is reasonably low for a 5500.

True that. It's just not me, who are buying. 😁
Shure V5 would be nice to play with, yet the price alone, tells me that V5 is not my kind of hardware.

It's a bit like the same with GUS cards.
Just too darn expensive.

If I had one of eighter right now, they would probably not be sold. 50℅ chance they would not be. If selling them, the money would be spend on 486 stuff.

Personally I did sell a boxed GUS ACE last year. And I used half of the money on 486 stuff and the last half on my daughters burthday present.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13269 of 52725, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Following the trend that has everything Apple >3yrs old called "vintage", I'll have to post this here 🤣 Received a replacement fan for a MacBook 13" unibody late 2008 model, my first and only bought-as-new Apple hardware. The old one was slightly ringing after nearly 8 years of constant use (bearings going bad probably). New one is a Sunon MagLev, which I got from eBay from some seller in Hong Kong. Was a pretty straightforward replacement (just three screws), noise levels are almost like the stock one's. Pretty happy with this laptop still being my everyday go-to machine, despite its age.

p.s.: why is it that I don't feel confident considering anything s775++++ as "vintage"/"retro"? 😕

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 13270 of 52725, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
psychz wrote:

p.s.: why is it that I don't feel confident considering anything s775++++ as "vintage"/"retro"? 😕

You are not the only one here... S775 are just old, not retro/vintage by far.
It will be in 10+ years from now.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13271 of 52725, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right. Apart from that, I think we can all agree that these platforms are, even by today's standards, too usable for everyday cases to be called vintage...

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 13272 of 52725, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
110 for a vga card. I know it is a rare card and everyone wants.... You know... Things like that. I can't justify paying more th […]
Show full quote
stamasd wrote:

Also if anyone is interested, there is a Voodoo 5500 AGP listed freshly for $110 on ebay right now. I have one, don't need another.

110 for a vga card. I know it is a rare card and everyone wants.... You know... Things like that.
I can't justify paying more than 15 US Dollars for a vga card.
I gave 4 US Dollars for my Radeon-9800-XXL (the Medion model) this year.

Really depends on the card. I wouldn't pay much more than £15 for an AGP or PCI GPU unless I was going for the best of the best (or needed another Voodoo and got impatient, then I might spend a little more). But if I was buying for a rarer platform, like ISA, EISA (if there are many such GPUs), VLB or MCA - then I might expect to pay a fair chunk more. Mind you, I have a couple of TNT2s and a Radeon 9550 in my spares bin, so I'm not in dire need of them anyway (at least on the AGP front).

Reply 13273 of 52725, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this Asus AGP-V3200 card for free. It's a 16 MB Voodoo Banshee for the AGP slot:

2016-08-11 19.35.47.jpg
Filename
2016-08-11 19.35.47.jpg
File size
102.82 KiB
Views
File license

Well, guess I am about to build a Slot I machine (or two): I now have both Pentium II and Pentium III, a Voodoo Banshee, a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, an Aureal Vortex-based card and two empty AT cases with PSUs. The only thing I'm missing seems to be an AT 440BX motherboard for a Slot I.

Another score is a 4x Creative (Panasonic) CD-ROM:

2016-08-11 19.36.20.jpg
Filename
2016-08-11 19.36.20.jpg
File size
57.6 KiB
Views
File license

That's the oldest drive I have. I'll have to see if it can read CD-R (not to mention CD-RW which I use a lot), but chances are, it's gonna be useless. Still cool in its own way.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 13275 of 52725, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:

anyone made these run off a battery? i often thought of it, but im just too lazy

What's the point? You want to use it as an audio CD player?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 13276 of 52725, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

The only thing I'm missing seems to be an AT 440BX motherboard for a Slot I.

Those are ATX, not AT.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13278 of 52725, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

The only thing I'm missing seems to be an AT 440BX motherboard for a Slot I.

Those are ATX, not AT.

Not necessarily, but I do get the feeling that ATX is much more common for Slot 1 in general. But still there are things like Asus P2B-B. The article says that many "Chinese" manufacturers have done Slot 1 mobos for baby AT. I guess the implication is that big-name brands like Asus weren't likely to make products like this.

It's just that I already have some AT cases, PSUs and keyboards, so I really don't want to use ATX.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 13279 of 52725, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My eyes almost popped out then i saw this Intel D845WR motherboard listed for £23.82. But the joy went away when no shipping to Norway was possible 😵
It seemed strange that most things were possible to buy, but not this and some random other parts. Contacted the seller and the next day they replied it was some weird eBay thing that put some parts not available for international shipping, but corrected it manually. Rushed to press buy and im now a lucky owner of a socket 478 board with AGP and ISA 😊

Intel_D845WR.jpg
Filename
Intel_D845WR.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license