VOGONS

ASP403 - The Neverending Project

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 178, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd be most eager about a Windows 9x driver that is bug free and sounds balanced. And ideally working TOSLINK output. I tried the Turtle Beach drivers you mentioned, it also has bugged TOSLINK. Only the 2048 work for me in that regard.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 122 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I'd be most eager about a Windows 9x driver that is bug free and sounds balanced. And ideally working TOSLINK output. I tried the Turtle Beach drivers you mentioned, it also has bugged TOSLINK. Only the 2048 work for me in that regard.

What were the issues encountered exactly? I could probably work up a fix so you can record better quality A3D.

badmojo wrote:

I'm in the market for a workable DOS mixer when you have it ready! I'll UAT it if required

No problems, I'll spiffy it up and post it for you guys then. 😉

Reply 123 of 178, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I have captures at home.

In Half-Life for example, you don't hear that female voice at the introduction tram ride. This works great with the 2048 drivers though. And all the surround over headphone goodness is also captured nicely over optical that way.

2046, the Turtle Beach driver, sounds great over analogue. You mentioned it's even better than the 2041?

I'll check out the captures when I get home and extract the audio.

Reply 124 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

In Half-Life for example, you don't hear that female voice at the introduction tram ride. This works great with the 2048 drivers though. And all the surround over headphone goodness is also captured nicely over optical that way.

I see, this indicates the routing table isn't mixing all the channels into L and R before S/PDIF output. I've been doing a few tests and I think I can setup a routing table that doesn't get overwritten since the drivers are pretty good at chaining what it needs to the end of the work to do list.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

2046, the Turtle Beach driver, sounds great over analogue. You mentioned it's even better than the 2041?

The 2046 are the 2041's but with added code for the S/PDIF input boards the Montego-II HomeStudio came with, it also looks like it has properly working S/PDIF output on my Montego-II.
Just be sure to unmute the S/PDIF output after the drivers install, if it defaults to unmuted then toggle it muted then unmuted to clear the register.

Not sure why so many bugs exist in the drivers, the chips aren't "that" hard to program for.

I started a fresh mixer project without all my debug code/routines in the way. It's almost done, should have it posted here shortly after some more testing.
It enables S/PDIF output in DOS, routes the audio through the EQ, and allows you to adjust the parameters for each of the audio channels. Also enables speaker output cloning for 4 speakers, and this can be toggled by the user. And some other options...

Reply 125 of 178, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe include S/PDIF-in for the TB HS as well?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 126 of 178, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bugger, couldn't find a capture, I must have deleted them straight away 😒

I'll try to record it at the latest opportunity!

Reply 127 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

Maybe include S/PDIF-in for the TB HS as well?

It can be done, S/PDIF input has been identified now.

Last edited by ZanQuance on 2018-08-15, 16:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 128 of 178, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you going to make these cards sing A3D 2/3 on Windows 10 x64? That would be interesting. I suspect eBay prices might go up. 😁

I am most excited about them at least working properly with XP. These cards are almost the only reason I mess with the horrors of Win9x and eliminating that would be neato.

Reply 129 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Are you going to make these cards sing A3D 2/3 on Windows 10 x64? That would be interesting. I suspect eBay prices might go up. 😁
I am most excited about them at least working properly with XP. These cards are almost the only reason I mess with the horrors of Win9x and eliminating that would be neato.

I plan too of course, but A3D support is still a ways off. Need to get the drivers completed first and foremost. In the meantime since it's taking me much longer to get them done than I estimated, I'm looking at some bandage patch support for the current drivers to help smooth everything out and give everyone something new to chew on.

I'm still looking into a simple and easy to implement fix for the pops and clicks in the XP drivers. I'll play around with it more after I finish the new DOS mixer.

Reply 132 of 178, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I suspect eBay prices might go up. 😁

Sssshhhhhh! [quiet] 🤐

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 133 of 178, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any news? 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 134 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sssshhhhhh! 😀 the thread was sleeping.

I've got a few employment and schooling issues being worked out taking all my time, so the project was updated at Aureal3D.com last month about the delays, then I had to move the site to a new proper site host on the 3rd this month. I'll make a formal post later on with the projects status.

"Little by little the engine chugged along"

Reply 135 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm really sorry everyone, some major family matters have come up and I may not be able to post anything for a while until we know how things turn out.
See you all when I can.

[edit]
I will be getting back to the project soon here hopefully. Thanks for your eternal patience with me and all these blasted delays.

Last edited by ZanQuance on 2016-11-15, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 138 of 178, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I I've also found that there was actually an official Aureal driver for the Vortex 1 in Windows 3.1x - I'm going to link to my Google Drive folder because I got it via an FTP-finder and many invalid clicks later. I'm trying to make a store of all the Aureal files I come across. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ho41iL0Tc … TVZYWFlfRWJaYXM

Reply 139 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah at this point in time all I can do is continue to apologize for all the damned delays facing this project. Some really terrible things occurred over the summer that affected my life in very drastic ways and now I'm living in a place less than conducive to driver development. I'm doing everything I can to get back on my feet and continue doing what I love.

But on a major bright side, I managed to find someone to call my soul mate through all this and we fell in love last month, so she is a major motivator to continue having a happy outlook on life, because depression really sucks!

I'll keep in touch all I can, but it's highly unlikely I will be making any stable releases this year...
Thanks for all your support and patience, I love Aureal tech.

Last edited by ZanQuance on 2018-06-26, 18:39. Edited 2 times in total.