VOGONS

First post, by Wacky25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I found an old Asus P2B REV 1.10. with US3007CW voltage chip. Can I use a slot1 adapter with a coppermine or tualatin cpu? I found several information about this board and officially, 1.10 revision is not compatible with these cpu. But my board have a US3007CW voltage regulator who can provide 1.3V-3.5V. So, I am not sure if I can or not. Thank you.

mini_53516220160730124034.jpg mini_17450020160730124013.jpg

Reply 1 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wacky25 wrote:
Hello, I found an old Asus P2B REV 1.10. with US3007CW voltage chip. Can I use a slot1 adapter with a coppermine or tualatin cpu […]
Show full quote

Hello, I found an old Asus P2B REV 1.10. with US3007CW voltage chip. Can I use a slot1 adapter with a coppermine or tualatin cpu? I found several information about this board and officially, 1.10 revision is not compatible with these cpu. But my board have a US3007CW voltage regulator who can provide 1.3V-3.5V. So, I am not sure if I can or not. Thank you.

mini_53516220160730124034.jpg mini_17450020160730124013.jpg

I also got a 1.10 P2B and it worked perfectly fine with a Coppermine (I did flash a newer BIOS I think before trying out the Coppermine).

I never tried a Tualatin in this particular board using a Slocket, the Coppermine I used in my P2B 1.10 was a Slot 1 one.

When looking at the voltage, it should (in theory).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 17, by Wacky25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank for your fast reply.

Does I need a particular Slocket adapter, or any generic one will do the job? I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131865325914?_trksid=p … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The bios you're talking about is a beta version?

Thank again.

Reply 3 of 17, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same board and I couldn't get it to boot a fcpga coppermine with a generic slotket adapter but I didn't check the bios version. I check it and flash if needed and then we will see! That is an awesome board best of luck.

Reply 4 of 17, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 1.10 running a slot1 p3 750 (1.65v), no problems.

I was also looking for an s370 adapter for a while, but it's really difficult to find a good one, what I would find was mostly generic adapters made for early s370 Celerons and incompatible with Coppermine;
if you can find a good one made for Tualatin, or one that fully works with Coppermine and was adapted for Tualatin, I would expect it to work (since you have the voltage regulator that supports lower vcore and there are bios available for Tualatin on this board), but I definitely haven't tried it

Reply 5 of 17, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used this site when checking compatibility for my 1.10 P2B and P3 1 GHz Coppermine. Mine has an updates voltage regulator and the CPU works fine.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 6 of 17, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a bunch of P2B boards several years ago before I sold them. Lots of v1.10 boards have Coppermine capable VRMs, the only thing that keeps those boards from running Coppermines is the BIOS. Just use an older CPU to flash it and then it will work.

The reason Asus said rev1.12 was required is because that was when the boards were finally guaranteed to always have a compatible VRM and BIOS from the factory. As long as your v1.10 board has the right VRM then the rest is easy. v1.10 boards are also late enough that they have a good chance of running stable at 133MHz bus.
They are great boards, and one of the few that have quality capacitors you won't have to worry about.

I've never tried a Tualatin on a P2B but from what I've read I believe it requires the last Beta BIOS that Asus released. The other issue is electrical - I think putting a Tualatin on any 440BX board requires a pin mod or a slocket that's designed to do the same thing as the pin mod. I don't know the details of the mod but it was a popular thing to do so you might be able to find writeups about it somewhere.

Reply 7 of 17, by Wacky25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank everyone, now I know my board is compatible. The only question I have is about the adapter itself. Some on eBay have jumpers to set the voltage, and other didn't. Because I have US3007CW voltage chip, I suppose the adapter no need to be complex. But I just want to be sure before buy anything. 😕

Reply 8 of 17, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really like the Asus P2B. It's in one of my favorite systems:

Celeron-T 1300MHz
768MB SD100 2-2-2-8
Asus P2B (don't know the revision, but I can check!)
ATI Rage Fury MAXX 64MB AGP 2x
Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 SLI 24MB PCI

Reply 9 of 17, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm.. I have the rev 1.10. I guess it's time to check the voltage chip. The already mentioned hispeed.ch P2B/P3B upgrade article link is a great resource indeed. I wouldn't worry if a P2B didn't have the right VRM for Coppermine, as long as there's another option such as the MS-6905 slotket with its own voltage switch.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 10 of 17, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

one clue that I used to not buy a non Coppermine compatible slotket was to check the photos, if they have a jumper for voltage and it goes to high voltages and starts at 1.80v min it's for old Celerons, not for Coppermine, problem is some adapters without any jumpers were also made for just those Celerons...
and even some adapters made for Coppermine might have compatibility issues...
this basically made me go after a slot 1 Coppermine... I only got a 750 for the price I was willing to pay, but I think they made up to 1GHz... one complication is that a lot of the slot 1 p3s are fsb133... and while my boards seems to be ok with 133, it's overclock, so it might not work well for you.

Reply 11 of 17, by Wacky25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I just received my slot1 adapter, but it's not working. I tried many different processors, Pentium 3/Celeron, 100mhz/133mhz, Coppermine/Tualatin. But the computer no boot at all, no beep, nothing. Off course, I flashed the bios with 1014.003 beta version. I don't know what can I do now. Does the jumpers on the motherboard can change something? The Slot1 adapter is an Epox s370 cpu converter.

mini_9985231957.jpg

Thank you.

Reply 12 of 17, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It might be an early adapter that only works with Mendocinos. Was a Mendocino one of the CPUs you tried in it?

Have you confirmed this board works with an actual Slot-1 CPU?

Re the motherboard jumpers - they just need to be set appropriately for whatever CPU is in the adapter. Set them for 66FSB with a Mendocino Celeron to start. If that works then try switching to a Coppermine with motherboard jumpers still the same, and work up from there.

If even a Mendocino at 66FSB doesn't work, but the board does work with an actual Slot-1 CPU, then that would leave the adapter as the culprit. In that case look it over carefully for any deep scratches that may have cut a trace.

If this is a Mendocino only adapter then I don't know what the actual difference is between those and the later adapters. Maybe there's a way to mod it, but I have no idea. I wonder what that "reserved" jumper does.

Reply 13 of 17, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you make a backup of your BIOS? I JUST found one of these boards, yesterday at a surplus place, and inside the anti-static bag it was packed in was an instruction sheet for how to flash the BIOS, software on disc and floppy to flash the BIOS, and the original manual. I'm afraid that I might go to fire it up and it has a bricked BIOS so JUST IN CASE... 😀

Matthew

Reply 14 of 17, by Wacky25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to set jumpers to 66FSB with 2-3 different CPU, but I have the the same issue. And yes, the motherboard works without any problem with a normal slot1 CPU. The trouble probably came from the adapter, and the reserved jumper on it, doesn't change anything. Anyway, I just bought an ASUS CUV4X on eBay, and this one doesn't need any adapter. So, one problem less.

Yes, I make a backup from my original bios. 😉

If someone is interested, my P2B is for sale.

Thank you.

Reply 15 of 17, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
y2k se wrote on 2016-07-31, 07:09:

I used this site when checking compatibility for my 1.10 P2B and P3 1 GHz Coppermine. Mine has an updates voltage regulator and the CPU works fine.

Hello,

Seems like this site is no longer available. Could you please confirm what type voltage regulator needs to be checked for? Preferably a picture of the board and the regulator would help. Thanks a lot!!

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 16 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-11-26, 09:18:
y2k se wrote on 2016-07-31, 07:09:

Hello,

Seems like this site is no longer available. Could you please confirm what type voltage regulator needs to be checked for? Preferably a picture of the board and the regulator would help. Thanks a lot!!

You can still access the site on archive.org - https://web.archive.org/web/20030615020742/ht … pgrade_faq.html

Reply 17 of 17, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-26, 11:01:

You can still access the site on archive.org - https://web.archive.org/web/20030615020742/ht … pgrade_faq.html

Thanks a lot!!

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP