VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently went looking for a PS/2 compatible mouse that could be bought new at retail location close to me and came to the following conclusions:

a) PS/2 compatibility is no longer advertised on packaging and no passive USB to PS/2 adapters are included .
b) most mice are now wireless and thus unlikely to be PS/2 compatible .
c) Those wired mice for which I could find info online in terms of PS/2 compatibility usually had negative comments (not PS/2 compatible with a passive adapter)

So I took chance on the cheapest USB corded optical mouse I could find and tried it with a PS/2 passive adapter I already owned and... it worked perfectly !

The mouse in question is Staples branded model 23415 and seems to available online and in stores across North America . The packaging on mine listed a copyright date of 2012 .

Reply 1 of 2, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went into a similar research recently, just a bit more hardcore. I was searching for a pure PS/2 mouse, only because I wanted to plug it into the (PS/2) KVM I use for my retro-desk and no adapter can fit there (the PS/2 mouse port is too close to the PS/2 keyboard port). I followed the same path thinking, silly me, that finding something with a PS/2 plug at local stores should still be possible . Not even close of course.

But I did find on ebay going for normal prices (=not sold as "retro") brand new quality PS/2 mice, so this is still an option. Obviously not for long so I got two. I'd never thought the time would come to search for such a thing!

Reply 2 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote:

I was searching for a pure PS/2 mouse, only because I wanted to plug it into the (PS/2) KVM I use for my retro-desk and no adapter can fit there (the PS/2 mouse port is too close to the PS/2 keyboard port).

You could also try a PS/2 extension cable with a USB to PS/2 converted mouse . That should take care of the tight fit issue.

konc wrote:

But I did find on ebay going for normal prices (=not sold as "retro") brand new quality PS/2 mice, so this is still an option. Obviously not for long so I got two. I'd never thought the time would come to search for such a thing!

I was a bit impatient, otherwise I would have tried ebay too . Maybe I should stock up on mice as well (I am okay on PS/2 and AT keyboards as I still have a few working IBM model M units in storage).

Incidentally, active adapters to convert essentially any USB mouse and USB keyboard to PS/2 equivalents do exist but are rather expensive (100+ $US ). An example is the Startech PS22USB . Something like his would probably be a better long-term solution .