VOGONS

I created a VOGONS subreddit

Topic actions

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(Note to the mods: I wasn't sure where to shove this and this is the closest thing to a announcements board that we have. I was going to message all the mods about this before posting but I couldn't find a list of all the mods to send a mass message)

https://www.reddit.com/r/VOGONS/

I was fooling around on reddit and i couldn't find a decent retro-computing subreddit that wasn't ran by opinionated assholes who impose strict rules or completely dead. I also noticed /r/VOGONS wasn't taken and since the name is already well associated with retro PC stuff i figured it may as well be put to good use. Anyways I invite all users to come and join in on reddit and i also extend and invitation to any VOGONS.com moderators to become full mods on the subreddit aswell should they so desire. This is one of 12 subreddit's i currently run (Including the SkyrimSE network, consisting of 9 subs that should take off here next month 😀 ) so I may not be very active.

Anyways just figured I would share this information.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 3 of 22, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

What's this? Links collection? Redirects?

I created it as a free-form discussion area though links to say, drivers and stuff, would be fine assuming its something that wasnt available before.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Isn't this just fragmentation?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 22, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

And do we really wanna be associated with a vogons group that will most likely contain links to illegal stuff that we try to keep out of here.

Reply 6 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Harekiet wrote:

And do we really wanna be associated with a vogons group that will most likely contain links to illegal stuff that we try to keep out of here.

I'm not even going to click on that link. I herd of what kind of stuff goes on on that site.
I want nothing to do with it. Nor do I want the cops nocking on my door for being a part of all the smut and crime that goes on on the site.

Reply 7 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

I herd of what kind of stuff goes on on that site.
I want nothing to do with it. Nor do I want the cops nocking on my door for being a part of all the smut and crime that goes on on the site.

Oh, please, it's not that bad. A huge step up from the likes of 4chan, probably. Lately I've been making extensive use of the Animal Crossing subreddits (i.e. for the 3DS game).

But I agree, I see no particular purpose for a VOGONS subreddit.

Reply 8 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I don't know how things work in Canada, but from what I know its a pretty fudged up site and mostly a home to thieves, scammers, piracy, trolls, rapist, murders. and a lot of sick weirdo's.

Reply 10 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Jade, please inform yourself. In general all that is not true about reddit.
Read the wiki first https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit

There are bad people on reddit just like there are bad people on vogons and in general all over the world. Reddit was just very non-moderated for a long time. But that has changed a lot.
I know a lot of people that use it as a news site and all of those are neither of what you made them out to be

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 22, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I don't know how things work in Canada, but from what I know its a pretty fudged up site and mostly a home to thieves, scammers, piracy, trolls, rapist, murders. and a lot of sick weirdo's.

Yep. For Russian users getting an account on Reddit also involves giving up your firstborn son. The mods will use him to smuggle drugs and eventually will harvest him for organs.

Guess it's pretty sweet to be a Canadian on Reddit, though. I should try a proxy one day.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 12 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Dominus wrote:

Jade, please inform yourself. In general all that is not true about reddit.
Read the wiki first https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit

I have informed myself. I seen/read and heard nothing but offal stuff about that site and want nothing to do with it. I also known a few people that use the site and there pretty messed up too.

Heck a few months ago there was a report that someone killed his wife and posted nude photos of her dead body and users were asking for more photos. That's pretty messed up.

Reply 14 of 22, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah Reddit isn't as good as it used to be ever since this new CEO they have took away the free-speech aspect and started banning subs based on there own Morales and opinions which is messed up imo. Pretty much every sub that has been banned in the last two years (excluding the CP sub which DID deserve a ban) didn't deserve banned. I've lost 2 of my own subs to that witch....

Anyways I didn't mean this to divide the community, I mesnt it to be there for people who can't/have a hard time accessing VOGONS.com or just like the way Reddit works better. It's not going to end up a giant list of illegal game downloads if anyone was thinking that and anyone who causes trouble will be receive a swift iron-fisted ban.

Reply 15 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes like vogons is going to be represented by a software piracy advocate with negative karma points. not tainted by petty squatting at all. no ulterior motives here especially given your history on this forum 🙄

also there is no "Free Speech" on privately run sites like reddit, vogons, etc. It's been this way for the past 30+ years of internet, even in the pre-anonymous days

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 22, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

yes like vogons is going to be represented by a software piracy advocate with negative karma points. not tainted by petty squatting at all. no ulterior motives here especially given your history on this forum 🙄

also there is no "Free Speech" on privately run sites like reddit, vogons, etc. It's been this way for the past 30+ years of internet, even in the pre-anonymous days

Yes, I'm quite certain the steam account with over $1000 USD in games and the several hundred retail games I own (and thats before you count consoles mind you, which would raise the total by a further few hundred) make me a software piracy advocate. I hate DRM for the inconvenience it causes me and the fact it sucks performance away from other things and developers should be putting said DRM money (which does them nothing, the person who pirates games won't go and buy a copy, theyll go without) into actually optimizing for PC and upgrading the visuals to PC standards instead of harming the end product. I have no need for pirated games, just in my steam library I have a back log of games that would take me a few years to complete.

Tell me, does this look like the steam account of a thief?

http://www.mysteamgauge.com/account?username=A_USA_Crusader

Now take your petty morale values and false accusations and go away

Reply 17 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Let me remind you of your first post here... Anyone know what happened to the Booter stuff at Retrograde Station?

Reply 18 of 22, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Let me remind you i found info about that site here on VOGONS in another thread posted by a then-VOGONS admin so i had assumed everybody found it to be an OK source.

Whatever happened to Retrograde Station? Almost hilariously Leiloleil chimmed into that thread as well and claims to have an archive of it.
Now archiving a crack site, that may very well make you a software piracy advocate.
697e72b920.png

54536e751f.png

I'd like to point out everyone in particapation of that thread are respected users here. So You can't really use that against me

Reply 19 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not disputing that, I just think that a user called AbandonwareGuy with history about asking for pirated stuff can claim innocence...

On topic, while I don't share any misgivings about reddit, I really dislike that you took this sites name for your sub there. Why not just name it retromachines or whatever instead of dragging this site's good name along your reputation?