VOGONS

No voice on CD games like DOTT... Please help!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spaceman73 wrote:

Now time to work on getting the rest setup (mixer and such)

Glad you got it all sorted. Here's a couple of tips:
-if you're more comfortable with editing a text file, you can change the setupsa mixer values by editing opl3sa.ini which is in your c:\audician directory.
-Here's a screenshot of my basic settings. Basically, I max out everything under SB Mixer except Line because I don't use it, then mute everything else except for Master Volume, which I set to 6. Why they put Master Volume under WSS Mixer, I don't know. Must have been a serious oversight during QA. It should be in its own box, like Mic.

setupsa.jpg

When I adjust soundcard mixer settings, what I like to do is max out FM, WAV, CD, then drop Master down real low to start. Then I set the volume knob on my speakers to about 40%. Finally, I play some games to check the volume and adjust Master in the mixer until it's as loud as I'd ever want to actually put it during gameplay. That sets 40% at the volume knob as my "max" volume which I find reduces background hiss a bit. Then I try to play a few different games that have FM, WAV, and CD and if their volumes are off from each other, then I adjust them in the SB Mixer to try to equalize their volumes. After that, if necessary, readjust Master to keep your max-usable volume at 40% on the speaker volume knob.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 21 of 21, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, man. That mixer screen really is a mess to figure out!

My big-red-switch 486