First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Emerson, Lake & Palmer...

Pink Floyd...

Yes...

Progressive rock giants, whose musical proficiency and instrumentation can hardly be thought of as appreciable sources for MIDI adaptation, especially when arranged for a device commonly regarded as stodgy and limited - the "vanilla box-of-sounds" that is Roland's SC-55. Right?

Not hardly.

Mitsuru Sakaue, of Idecs Inc., apparently thought otherwise back in the 1990s, and fully utilized the latent capabilities of both the SC-55 and Roland's GS specification to craft some of the most amazingly programmed MIDI files I've yet heard.

If you're intimately familiar with these songs, you'll likely appreciate the remarkably faithful conversion efforts that went into the instrumentation and effects usage. Unfamiliarity isn't a detriment though - prepare to experience several sounds you likely never thought the Sound Canvas capable of, and a greater degree of realism for others. I will give fair warning, however, that "MIDI-fied" vocals in any form are almost universally awfulness incarnate, requiring an above-average suspension of disbelief even here, and despite some pretty decent timbre matching besides.

Basically, if you have any preconceived notions about the SC-55, or you're simply guilty of considering "Grabbag" to be a fine example of MIDI sequencing, these ought to blow your mind.

(Note that while the original MIDI files were specifically arranged with and for the SC-55, I've recorded the playback from an SC-55mkII due to its improved sound-stage and clarity.)

TRILOGY.jpg
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
"The Endless Enigma (Part One)" - "Fugue" - "The Endless Enigma (Part Two)"

DSOtM.png
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
"Speak to Me" - "Breathe" - "On the Run"
"Time"
"Money"

CTTE.jpg
Yes - Close to the Edge
"Close to the Edge - I. The Solid Time of Change, II. Total Mass Retain"
"Close to the Edge - III. I Get Up, I Get Down, IV. Seasons of Man"

Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2016-09-24, 00:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I listened to the 1st song from Pink Floyd so far and I was impressed on some parts of the music. It almost seemed like it was ripped from the CD.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 5 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried to Shazam the songs, and it didn't work 🙁

This is awesome! I want to hear some Journey now please 😀

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is awesome, I grew up on this stuff. But yeah, these would've been better off left without vocals. They would make great karaoke tracks then. 😀 Some Rush would be fun to hear on the SC-55 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 14, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is definitely some of the best MIDI music i've heard coming out of a Sound Canvas. For MIDI music i very much prefer Yamaha XG. There's Fields of Gold from Sting optimized for XG that will sound amazing even on a MU-10/15. So if this can be done on a Sound Canvas i would like to see the same effort being put into XG MIDI.

The most impressive stuff about this is the detail into the sound effects, like on "Money" for instance, where everything sounds pretty much tempo accurate. Good stuff indeed!

Reply 8 of 14, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Could you please make the MIDI files available?

I'm afraid not. While the MIDI files are part of collections that Roland originally published and sold on 3.5" media some 20+ years ago, they continue to be sold in downloadable format today, and remain under JASRAC protection.

Reply 9 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Could you please make the MIDI files available?

I'm afraid not. While the MIDI files are part of collections that Roland originally published and sold on 3.5" media some 20+ years ago, they continue to be sold in downloadable format today, and remain under JASRAC protection.

That's fine, where could one buy them?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'd probably have to use a middleman service and hope that the download service has no IP restrictions, otherwise you'll need to ask the middleman service to download the files and send them to you, or use a VPN exiting in Japan. Also understand that publishing those files on the internet once you got them could result in killing the Roland download service...

Reply 13 of 14, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I listened to Time, I think some manly tears were shed at how beautiful this sounded, even coming from the SC-55 in MIDI form. Anyone with experience with the Roland site posted, any chance of linking where to purchase Mitsuru Sakaue's work to purchase? If he did the whole Dark Side of the Moon album in MIDI form, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Reply 14 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are those songs heavily optimized for Sound Canvas? I hope typical game songs would sound that good.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.