Intel SE440BX-2 ("Seattle") & IRQ 9

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tyuper wrote:

In some motherboards (like Abit BE6-II) even with disabled ACPI, ISA cards can't use IRQ9, because manufacturer reserved this interrupt for SMBus. However, it's possible to reclaim IRQ9 - by modifying value in southbridge (in our case, the 82371AB/EB) internal register SMBHSTCFG. I used this program http://www.o3one.org/hwdocs/lsilogic/pci.exe to check if this fix is effective and yes, WSS in YMF719 could finally use IRQ9. But to make this fix permanent, proper BIOS modification have to be done.
http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/datasheet/290562.pdf

Ah, thanks for the info. I think that rather than try to force a fix, I will just use this card with 486 and lower builds. I don't have a Pentium system ready to test, but I will eventually put one together. I will try it with my Socket A system (VIA KT133A), but I expect it to be the same as the BX and MVP3 systems in this regard.

Reply 21 of 28, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yea it would be good to know if the interface is intelligent mode compatible.

The interface is UART.

keropi wrote:

Maybe the card can't be used with anything more than a 386/486 - it's not uncommon. The Yamaha SW-20PC also has severe issues with anything above 486, *if* one is really really lucky maybe he can set it up on a p1 machine but anything above that is always troublesome without solution. Maybe the Maui also requires other memory addresses that used to be free on 486 machines but later mobos use them for components/functions.

No, the card works well in my Celeron 466 and also in my PIII 800, but I don't know If it still works with much more faster than >1GHz machines. But as the Wavefornt Synthesizer is a closed multi chip circuit with own firmware, RAM, ROM and data exchange and processing routines I expect it to me quite independent from the CPU speed.

boxpressed wrote:

Right, it doesn't initialize. The only jumpers on the board are used to set the address of the MPU-401.

To boxpressed, regarding the IRQ number of the MAUI:

One can change the IRQ via the setup utility, not via jumpers. But especially very old games expect the device at IRQ 9.
But setting a different IRQ will help you to get the card going in your system where the IRQ 9 is blocked.
Just use IRQ5 , 12 or 15. Most of the games from late 1993 and later will work with a different IRQ.

Just tested your scenario on a PIII 800MHz Coppermine / BX board with blocked IRQ 9 - Works well, sounds good 😊

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 22 of 28, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, FGB. What you're saying is that I use the setup program with the card in the 486 system, change the IRQ to something like IRQ 12, and then try to use the card in the BX or SS7 system?

I'll poke through the docs to see how to do this from the setup program.

Reply 23 of 28, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the card won't remember the setting. The SETUPSND program sets the IRQ directly before initializing the card.
To set it up with IRQ 5 instead of IRQ 9 type "setupsnd /i5 osmaui.mot"

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 24 of 28, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:

No, the card won't remember the setting. The SETUPSND program sets the IRQ directly before initializing the card.
To set it up with IRQ 5 instead of IRQ 9 type "setupsnd /i5 osmaui.mot"

Thanks, FGB, that worked! I didn't realize SETUPSND had all of those options. If you start it without any variables, you don't see the menu of options. Only because I tried to do "setupsnd /i7 osmaui" (because my AWE32 was set for IRQ 5), did I see the menu that says you have to select IRQ 5, 12, or 15 only.

IRQ 12 and 15 do not work with the Maui in my BX, by the way. Only IRQ 5. But one IRQ is all you need.

Reply 25 of 28, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great! I'm happy you got it working! Now you can use the Maui with your beloved Intel Seattle board 😀

Reply 27 of 28, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tyuper wrote on 2016-09-25, 15:10:

In some motherboards (like Abit BE6-II) even with disabled ACPI, ISA cards can't use IRQ9, because manufacturer reserved this interrupt for SMBus. However, it's possible to reclaim IRQ9 - by modifying value in southbridge (in our case, the 82371AB/EB) internal register SMBHSTCFG. I used this program http://www.o3one.org/hwdocs/lsilogic/pci.exe to check if this fix is effective and yes, WSS in YMF719 could finally use IRQ9. But to make this fix permanent, proper BIOS modification have to be done.
http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/datasheet/290562.pdf

What tool do you use to modify SMBHSTCFG register ?

Reply 28 of 28, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2016-09-25, 18:52:

IRQ 12 and 15 do not work with the Maui in my BX, by the way. Only IRQ 5. But one IRQ is all you need.

IRQ12 - PS/2 mouse
IRQ15 - second IDE channel
if you disable that, it will work with such IRQs