VOGONS

First post, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just wanted to document this rarer laptop from I believe 1995. I see almost nothing online about it. I will be doing a benchmark soon and will do an additional after upgrading the processor. The ram might be upgradable by desoldering its current package but I'm iffy on exploring that option.

Seems to have Sound Blaster Vibra S CT2504 And a Cirrus Logic chip for video. cmos chip is a MT5LC2568DJ-12. 430tx intel chipset supports 64mb cahced ram and 256mb of ram. The most likely highest compatable cpu is a p54cs 150mhz. Has the same core and i/o voltage as the 75mhz cpu.

8t434a6.jpg
Filename
8t434a6.jpg
File size
698.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
iIrEPhP.jpg
Filename
iIrEPhP.jpg
File size
988.74 KiB
Views
File license
FuQEi9P.jpg
Filename
FuQEi9P.jpg
File size
867.78 KiB
Views
File license
PqAFtWd.jpg
Filename
PqAFtWd.jpg
File size
985.54 KiB
Views
File license
VBsl6s2.jpg
Filename
VBsl6s2.jpg
File size
903.05 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by goodtofufriday on 2016-10-04, 21:33. Edited 7 times in total.

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 1 of 10, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
csjHbYy.jpg
Filename
csjHbYy.jpg
File size
600.37 KiB
Views
File license
47pDFca.jpg
Filename
47pDFca.jpg
File size
856.92 KiB
Views
File license
IvyYdRl.jpg
Filename
IvyYdRl.jpg
File size
967.78 KiB
Views
File license
6fT6Axc.jpg
Filename
6fT6Axc.jpg
File size
891.48 KiB
Views
File license
PB85Cph.jpg
Filename
PB85Cph.jpg
File size
684.72 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by goodtofufriday on 2016-10-04, 19:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OZ3k9fQ.jpg
Filename
OZ3k9fQ.jpg
File size
611.28 KiB
Views
File license
kUmGal9.jpg
Filename
kUmGal9.jpg
File size
602.72 KiB
Views
File license
MydsRGe.jpg
Filename
MydsRGe.jpg
File size
461.23 KiB
Views
File license
ji0Cisp.jpg
Filename
ji0Cisp.jpg
File size
605.82 KiB
Views
File license
4SpuT35.jpg
Filename
4SpuT35.jpg
File size
686.24 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 10, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SB Vibra + CL video is a great combo for retro gaming. The screen is disappointing tough... I use an Inspiron 3000 for retro gaming because it has a modern TFT screen, but the Neomagic video card acts up in some dos games...

Reply 5 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From the case, I can tell you for sure this was produced by MITAC and then sold under various brands. They used this case already for some of their 386sx-based notebooks, from which I owned two (one sold, one trashed).

Reply 6 of 10, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry about the bump - just curious if you still have this laptop today, and if it still works. These have a bit of a reputation for problems and I'm trying to find more accounts. You should also really pull that NiMH green hibernate battery if you haven't already. They leak catastrophically with age.
I'm also wondering if you'd be fine with me using your photos on my website - I document vintage laptops and don't have any photos to use of this model yet.
See: macdat.net/laptop_home.html

And on these being made by Mitac - are they? The FCC ID is usually a good way to tell who actually made a laptop, and these lead direct back to AST, not to Mitac. I think these were made in house.

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 7 of 10, by RetroSpector78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 3 of these and all of them share common issues:

brittle plastics
power on / off issues
random shutdowns
PCB with lots of bodge wires (unclear if it was delivered to customer by AST this way, or if this was the result of a repair). Have different motherboards with different patches applied.

When it works its a nice little laptop, but it's a real pain due to its random and erratic behavior.

If you need any more info or pictures feel free to contact me. You can use whatever material I put out. (I have a video on it on my channel and will publish a new one tomorrow).

3lectr1c wrote on 2023-12-06, 14:44:
Sorry about the bump - just curious if you still have this laptop today, and if it still works. These have a bit of a reputation […]
Show full quote

Sorry about the bump - just curious if you still have this laptop today, and if it still works. These have a bit of a reputation for problems and I'm trying to find more accounts. You should also really pull that NiMH green hibernate battery if you haven't already. They leak catastrophically with age.
I'm also wondering if you'd be fine with me using your photos on my website - I document vintage laptops and don't have any photos to use of this model yet.
See: macdat.net/laptop_home.html

And on these being made by Mitac - are they? The FCC ID is usually a good way to tell who actually made a laptop, and these lead direct back to AST, not to Mitac. I think these were made in house.

Reply 8 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroSpector78 wrote on 2024-02-28, 09:31:

If you need any more info or pictures feel free to contact me. You can use whatever material I put out. (I have a video on it on my channel and will publish a new one tomorrow).

I was about to link your video 😀
AST Ascentia 950N laptop repair attempt RetroSpector78 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaeU5J4QjOM
I have 810N in need of free time myself, 486 with trackball.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 10, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroSpector78 wrote on 2024-02-28, 09:31:
I have 3 of these and all of them share common issues: […]
Show full quote

I have 3 of these and all of them share common issues:

brittle plastics
power on / off issues
random shutdowns
PCB with lots of bodge wires (unclear if it was delivered to customer by AST this way, or if this was the result of a repair). Have different motherboards with different patches applied.

When it works its a nice little laptop, but it's a real pain due to its random and erratic behavior.

Ah hello! I've been watching your channel for a couple years now and saw your first video, currently watching the second one. There's some great shots of the components there I could definitely make use of on my website!

I have pages published on the 950N here now: https://macdat.net/pc/ast/ascentia_950n_home.html
I found an archive of the drivers as well so I need to put those up still.

It's a real shame they're so problematic, one of these configured with the TFT 640x480 option would hit the mythical requirements for the "perfect DOS gaming laptop". Mainly, 640x480 TFT screen and DOS compatible sound (of which that Vibra definitely counts). The Lexmark keyboard is also a big plus - it should have the exact same switches that ThinkPad keyboards of the time used.
Edit: Wait, I'm mistaken. There was no TFT 640x480 option, all were 800x600. Still a great DOS system though.

I was in talks with a guy on VCF that wanted to sell one to me that worked, but they went inactive. Maybe they'll come back at some point, I hope they do.

Reply 10 of 10, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I pushed an update my my site last night with new 950N info and photos from your videos.
Here's the gallery: https://macdat.net/pc/ast/950n/gallery.html

Also added the latest BIOS update and video drivers, along with new notes on the issues page from what you encountered.