VOGONS

NESticle

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by resident alian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to report that VDMSound 2.0.4 works with NESticle and genecyst emulators. Yeah! Of course, you could always download WinNT-compatible emulators too.

--r;

Ford, what about my home?

Reply 1 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why in God's name would you use Genecyst when you've got Gens which works SO much better and has SO many more features? I mean, geeze. There are a bunch of perfect NES emulators out there, but only one (very nearly) perfect Genesis emulator, and that's Gens. So, yeah. You suck! 😉

Seriously, though. There's no reason to use DOS emulators that only support 8.3 filenames and have bad features and bad resolutions when you can use l33ter ones that work natively in Windows and that have other nifty features like 2xSAI, or Super Eagle, or whatever. You know, like ZSNES. Or something. My eyes hurt. My head hurts. My chest is going to explode. Ow. Fuck.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 11, by resident alian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, you're right. I use nester now instead of NESticle and have started to use gens, which does rock. For die-hard Bloodlust Software fans, though, there it is, working with VDMSound.

Peace out.
--r;

Last edited by resident alian on 2002-10-12, 17:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

You know, like ZSNES.

heh, ZSNES sucks ass. At least in Win32 form. Of course, the last time I tried it was about 3 years ago so most likely improved since then but I only have eyes for Snes9x now when it comes to SNES Emulation.

While on the subject, anyone know of a good Win32 Sega Master System emulator? I've been using NeoSMS for ages but it's author appears to have given up on it and it still has a few major issues (Game Gear emulation still isn't 100%, Joysticks still aren't user configurable and the way it detects DirectX sucks).

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 6 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata
LSD wrote:

heh, ZSNES sucks ass. At least in Win32 form. Of course, the last time I tried it was about 3 years ago so most likely improved since then but I only have eyes for Snes9x now when it comes to SNES Emulation.

ZSNES - http://www.zsnes.com/
Try the new version for Win32 now, it's quite excellent... 😀
But this isn't going to turn into a flame war ("Which is better", etc.). Okay?

While on the subject, anyone know of a good Win32 Sega Master System emulator? I've been using NeoSMS for ages but it's author appears to have given up on it and it still has a few major issues (Game Gear emulation still isn't 100%, Joysticks still aren't user configurable and the way it detects DirectX sucks).

MEKA - http://www.smspower.org/meka/
No contest. Yes, there's a DOS port too - but the Windows version is fairly new and fairly awesome. 😀

Reply 7 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ZSNES 1.337 was the best. The newer versions have introduced strange blocking artefacts without any other obvious fixes. SNES9x loses. Just admit it and keep walking. And trust me -- three years ago, they both sucked ass. Now only SNES9x sucks ass. 😀 And it's OSS. What's not to love?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 11, by chanza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ZSnes never sucked ass snover, 'twas always the king:)
Snes9X is just awful though, add to that the fact that it hasnt been updated for aeons, and there's no contest.

The newer versions have introduced strange blocking artefacts without any other obvious fixes.

I've never seen any of these... what games do they appear in?

One minor annoyance I have with Gens is that when it starts/quits, it blanks my screen, hangs my comp for a few seconds, *then* starts. And if I do anything that it doesnt expect while its doing that, like move my mouse too fast in any direction, it crashes. This is a recent thing for me... none of the older versions did it. Ahwell.

One NES/Gameboy emulator I liked was rew. Don't think it's still being updated though. Pity, it was v.lightweight. No bloat at all. On the downside, it had no netplay:)

"How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

Reply 9 of 11, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

ZSNES - http://www.zsnes.com/
Try the new version for Win32 now, it's quite excellent... 😀
But this isn't going to turn into a flame war ("Which is better", etc.). Okay?

Well, it starts without crashing now so that an improvement over three years ago. Does it only apply the accelerated smoothing in window mode? It's also slower and the sound sucks. It doesn't handled zipped ROMs as neatly as Snes9x either. Oh well, it was worth a shot I guess...

MEKA - http://www.smspower.org/meka/
No contest. Yes, there's a DOS port too - but the Windows version is fairly new and fairly awesome. 😀

This stutters a bit in fullscreen mode as well... Also, how do I reconfigure the button assignment? It detects my gamepad properly (something NeoSMS won't) but the default button assignment is quite uncomfortable.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839