VOGONS

Reply 500 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this HP Pavilion m6000 (m6552.es) laying near the trash containers. The PC is still working, i wonder why someone would trash an still cappable PC

Specs are:
AMD Phenom x4 9550
4 GB DDR2 800 (4x 1 GB)
Geforce 210
1 TB HDD
Windows 7 x86

Attachments

• 20161006_165042.jpg
    Filename
    20161006_165042.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20161006_165053.jpg
    Filename
    20161006_165053.jpg
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Views
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 502 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this the other day. This tower is HUGE - 6 5.25" external bays, and 3 3.5" internal bays. It's missing 5 5.25" bay covers, shell, power supply and switch. I don't know what type of AT power supply it uses, but it's not the same type that's found in baby- and mid-tower cases.

What's inside - Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600, Diamond Stealth VRAM 1MB (according to the jumper setting), ~14MB RAM (2x4MB if I am reading it correctly, and 6x1MB), generic modem, controller card, and 25pin external SCSI card. I don't know the brand of board it is, but it is full-length, has an ETEQ chipset, and an Intel 486DX 50 (Not the more common DX2-50!), and the best part - NO CANCER BARREL!

[EDIT]

Quick search on the ETEQ ET82C493 chipset leads to a J-BOND JB A450CC http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/I-L/30786.htm

ZRSZwa0.jpg

EctDLMV.jpg

mL80Wrv.jpg

B9yBTFb.jpg

Reply 503 of 4609, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow... that's a perfect example of "one man's trash is another man's treasure"... with all the missing external parts, most people would say that was not only useless, but garbage. We at vogons know better though! 😀

That motherboard looks sweet, and to get a real CT1600 for nothing is awesome. Even if the tower ends up being too difficult to reuse (a missing cover is pretty hard to replace, and those power supplies are tougher to find), the parts alone would have cost a decent chunk of change on eBay if you were looking to build a nice 486-era system.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 504 of 4609, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a wonderful restoration/clean up project, Brickpad! Whenever I see a full tower like that, I feel like it needs to be loaded down with filler for the 5.25" bays. Tape backup, 5.25 floppy, CD-ROM, etc..

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 505 of 4609, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find! CT1600, DX-50 and pristine-looking early 486 motherboard sound like a great start for an "Ultimate 486DX build"!

Also, even if the case may end up being unusable in a build due to the missing cover, it may be worth to salvage stuff like the MHz LED display and buttons since it's always good to have spares.

Reply 506 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sweet find, Brickpad! That's going to be a fun project. 😉 Cheers!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 507 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Sweet find, Brickpad! That's going to be a fun project. 😉 Cheers!

Absolutely. While there isn't much I can do with this chassis, its spacious design makes for an excellent benchtop case for hardware testing. Right now it's in need of a thorough cleaning. What you see in those pictures is quite deceptive! Before I broke out the camera I had to blast everything that was coated in a film of dust so thick you couldn't read anything on those cards.

What is most surprising, to me, is the fact that the CPU lacks any sort of cooling device. I'm sure most are already aware of this, but the DX-50 runs dangerously hot without a heatsink! I just wonder how stable that system was without proper cooling. 😵

Reply 508 of 4609, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I took a browse at my parents' attic once more to scavenge as much of my old stuff I stashed there in my youth. This time I found:

20161019_145556_zpseipfr4xf.jpg
My old Amiga 500 with few games.

20161019_145258_zps2jt2qflm.jpg
20161019_145314_zpsxtc8ryms.jpg
An old chassis for external CD drive (SCSI).

20161019_145052_zpstzlla1e9.jpg
20161019_145123_zps3xhxdpso.jpg
My old Asus Socket A mobo. This brings back memories... it served first as my AMD Duron board. Then I later upgraded CPU to Athlon XP (before completely jumping to Athlon 64 X2 with new Socket 939 motherboard). Too bad it's still a bit too "new" tech for me to get excited about. My heart beats for 386/486 machines... And the way I see it anything from WinXP era (and forth) can be (usually) replicated with current hardware and operating systems with ease. So what's the point? Naturally I'll hold on to it either way. 🤣

Reply 509 of 4609, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ariakos wrote:

My old Asus Socket A mobo. This brings back memories... it served first as my AMD Duron board. Then I later upgraded CPU to Athlon XP (before completely jumping to Athlon 64 X2 with new Socket 939 motherboard). Too bad it's still a bit too "new" tech for me to get excited about. My heart beats for 386/486 machines... And the way I see it anything from WinXP era (and forth) can be (usually) replicated with current hardware and operating systems with ease. So what's the point? Naturally I'll hold on to it either way. 🤣

I see KT266/KT333 motherboards and think "fast voodoo 3/4/5 win98 rig" witch gets me pretty excited 🤣

Reply 510 of 4609, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:
My latest dumpster find! […]
Show full quote

My latest dumpster find!

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-daifxqx.jpg

that Packard Bell monitor, I have exactly the same, it doesn't have horizontal width control which is annoying. Have you tested it already ?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 511 of 4609, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last week I got a cool from the guy who works at the dump saying he's got a large box containing a Commodore and a monitor. Went there this monday and picked up a Commodore 128 with keyboard and monitor. The thing is very dirty inside and outside and I didn't have time to clean it up and test it yet. The Run/Stop key is there but the spring is missing. Here are some pics:

DSC_0078.JPG
Filename
DSC_0078.JPG
File size
539.79 KiB
Views
File license
DSC_0079.JPG
Filename
DSC_0079.JPG
File size
689.01 KiB
Views
File license
DSC_0081.JPG
Filename
DSC_0081.JPG
File size
655.97 KiB
Views
File license

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 514 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote:
Got this the other day. This tower is HUGE - 6 5.25" external bays, and 3 3.5" internal bays. It's missing 5 5.25" bay covers, s […]
Show full quote

Got this the other day. This tower is HUGE - 6 5.25" external bays, and 3 3.5" internal bays. It's missing 5 5.25" bay covers, shell, power supply and switch. I don't know what type of AT power supply it uses, but it's not the same type that's found in baby- and mid-tower cases.

Quick search on the ETEQ ET82C493 chipset leads to a J-BOND JB A450CC http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/I-L/30786.htm

ZRSZwa0.jpg

[UPDATE]

Fired up the board today and was greeted with a pleasant surprise. Not only did it POST, but it also turns out that 4 of the 8 SIMMs are 4MB each, totaling in at 20MB of RAM (4x4MB and 4x1MB). I was also able to confirm that the board is in fact a J-Bond JB A450CC.

Attachments

• IMG_20161023_121421.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20161023_121421.jpg
    File size
    457.17 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 515 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn't believe my luck when I saw this at the trash after having gotten groceries, but taking this home was a nobrainer.

dumpsterfind1.jpg
Filename
dumpsterfind1.jpg
File size
411.66 KiB
Views
File license
dumpsterfind2.jpg
Filename
dumpsterfind2.jpg
File size
384.4 KiB
Views
File license
dumpsterfind3.jpg
Filename
dumpsterfind3.jpg
File size
462.38 KiB
Views
File license
dumpsterfind4.jpg
Filename
dumpsterfind4.jpg
File size
451.75 KiB
Views
File license

I took it apart after taking these pics but I haven't tested any of this stuff, the board has a couple bend pins, but even the cheapest CPU for this board is way to expensive for my taste. The PSU looks almost like new when I opened it up, just haven't had the time to test it.

The case didn't come with its side panels (drats) but it came with a SATA DVD burner (only had 2 in total till now, so it's most welcome) and a couple SATA cables.

The PSU has most of its cables, one heck of a lucky find if you ask me!

My arms were sore for 2 days I can tell ya 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 517 of 4609, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Man, that nvidia tower is pretty sweet looking. A shame they didn't leave the side panels on it! I'd keep an eye out at that spot for the side panels to show up next week. 😁

Also, being Socket 2011 (x79 chipset) that's an extremely expensive, (potentially) powerful and expandable platform. People must have money coming out their ears or sense coming out their bums to just drop something like that off at the curb. The original owner would have spent a ton of money on that, and any kind of online classified for that stuff "AS IS" would have gotten him enough to buy some new parts. That P9X79 is a $300 motherboard... and there's the$189 power supply... even the case is worth $200+, as the non-nvidia version is $187 new.

Quite a find!

I'd probably opt to part it out though. Keep the PSU, as it is extremely nice (80Plus Gold 1KW is more than most will ever ever need) and sell the board AS-IS for parts and use the proceeds to buy something really old or something newer and cheaper. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 518 of 4609, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

I couldn't believe my luck when I saw this at the trash after having gotten groceries, but taking this home was a nobrainer.

Nice!

I do have a toolkit on my bike, but where I live, I never see anything like this. I'm sure I could have fit that case on my bike rack 🤣 Though I think I would have just removed the PSU.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 519 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks all!

I never see anything like this where I live either 🤣
It is only the second time in my entire life I find something on the sidecurb that's actually better than the best I actually own at the time (the last time this happened, I found a 1GHz Coppermine s370 system while my then-fastest was a Katmai 550), this is a 1-in-10-year find.

I think I will do as suggested and part with the board. Not sure what to sell it for. I could really use the cash but I do intend to keep the PSU 😀.

And even though I kinda always keep some screwdrivers and bags with me at all times, this one I simply wanted on the other side of my front door ASAP, I turned my head and there it was (wth am I seeing?...), walked over there, saw it had nice stuff inside and didn't bother checking it in more detail, it was mine!

My god, and I was already carrying groceries, including a complete watermelon 🤣! Had to take a break like every 50 meters maybe 😵

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-10-27, 00:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!