Rank Member
Rank

Did any games like this exist?

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 1 of 55, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SCUMM V5 non-talkie has it. Actually, it handles music and sound effects the same. All sampled sound effects have an Adlib alternative, which is used when playing in Adlib mode.

Games with Soundblaster support usually have Adlib only available for music.
Older games without Soundblaster support however frequently do have Adlib support as their best sound effects option. SCUMM V3 and V4 are among those.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 2 of 55, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Supaplex

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 55, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dnewhous wrote:

F-15 Strike Eagle II or King's Quest IV, could you select Adlib for both sound and music on these games?

Not sure about the former, but based on the year of release, I strongly doubt that the game had any sound effects (digital voices).
The latter does not have any sound effects (digital voices). Any "sounds" you hear are purely generated from the FM synthesis chip.
It was also the first game that supported the Roland MT-32.

Reply 10 of 55, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wolfenstein 3D's got a few adlib sound effects mixed in with its digitized sounds. I believe Falcon 3.0 does too. Bubble Bobble and Super Space Invaders are pure FM from what I remember.

Reply 11 of 55, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Commander Keen 4, 5, 6, and Dreams (and mods/fangames based on these) all have purely Adlib sound effects and music. No digitized sound whatsoever.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13 of 55, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dnewhous wrote:

Did any games like this exist?

it depends on what you consider a "sound effect" - are we talking about PCM samples here? (for example, a .wav file)

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 16 of 55, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blake Stone, Wolfenstein 3D, Commander Keen 4+ and games that use the same engine, such as Bio Menace, Dangerous Dave 2 and more.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 17 of 55, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
nukeykt wrote:

Doom

more on this

More like an option of the sound library they used. Not exactly an option of the game, which has no Adlib sound effects included.
Interesting discovery nevertheless.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 18 of 55, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for necroposting, but Adlib can output digital sound, using more or less the same tricks as a PC speaker.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 19 of 55, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Exterminator (1990). Bit of an odd one, you can select Adlib or MT-32. If you select MT-32 you can switch in game between music or SFX, not both . If you setup with Adlib you get no music option and it is only used for sound effects. This game needs a patch to enable both MT32-music and adlib SFX option.