VOGONS

Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 2070, by bbhaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got my new cpu and the cooler today. Got my RX480 a few days ago. Now I'm looking for a good mATX mb and a mATX case with some sizzle. Tired of the dull black cases like the CM n200. I want some pop with this build! hehe

Attachments

• DSCF5248[1].JPG
    Filename
    DSCF5248[1].JPG
    File size
    2.79 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 361 of 2070, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😲 😲 😲

Wish I had that kind of money.

You gonna pair it with a GTX 1080 or something? 🤣

Edit: I'm stupid. The RX480. Duh. Just didn't read your post 😒

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 362 of 2070, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got this lovely Lenovo Ideapad Flex 15 for the cost of nothing at all after helping the previous owner transfer her data off it & wipe the drive. (A failed windows 8 recovery had left it bootlooping to a kernel panic, and it was set not to allow booting from USB, so she chucked it in a closet for a few months and got a new machine.)

lenovo1.jpg
Filename
lenovo1.jpg
File size
280.07 KiB
Views
File license
lenovo2.jpg
Filename
lenovo2.jpg
File size
313.23 KiB
Views
File license

Quad-core i7, 8GB DDR3, 500GB SSHD. Far and away more powerful than anything else I own. It was kinda grungy when I got it but after a solid couple hours cleaning it looks great. The big display and numeric keypad are going to be a godsend for tracking. It's not completely perfect, the backspace key is a little intermittent and its purported touchscreen functionality doesn't seem to work, but who cares.

Oh yeah, and since I wiped the drive I got to load on my choice of OS.

lenovo3.jpg
Filename
lenovo3.jpg
File size
182.55 KiB
Views
File license

...Yep, I went there. 😈

Ironically I'd just ordered 16GB of RAM for my actual Macbook Pro before scoring this thing. No matter, always room for two. 😁

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 365 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kanecvr wrote:
Private_Ops wrote:

🤣 🤣 🤣

For the Emperor!

That's nothing. I built a custom Unix OS for my fathers laptop that's is just like apple osx.
Even bugs you about doing updates and has all the funny apple glitches 🤣

Reply 366 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
Private_Ops wrote:

🤣 🤣 🤣

For the Emperor!

That's nothing. I built a custom Unix OS for my fathers laptop that's is just like apple osx.

giphy.gif

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 367 of 2070, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
Private_Ops wrote:

🤣 🤣 🤣

For the Emperor!

It sounds like you are describing Redstar OS.. which leads me to some uncomfortable questions that I do not want to ask.

Reply 368 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

the system would not work with hackintosh. it had some funky boot loader on the bios that had to use a cert in order to boot the OS. Odd for a asus laptop. That and I was board, only took two nights to finish. My Grandmother is using it now to for finances. Believe it or not it works grate.

Reply 369 of 2070, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update on the IdeaPad: in the end I couldn't get OSX to work to a satisfactory degree. It would sometimes refuse to boot even after I 'dialled in' the bootloader options, patched the kernel, and it turns out it's absolutely impossible to get the Intel wifi chip to work. So I wiped it and installed the latest ElementaryOS which took 10 minutes, needed no drivers or tweaking whatsoever, is lightning quick, and works beautifully. Sometimes doing things the easy way makes life easier - who knew?

Anyway my *actual* Macbook Pro is one of the last models you can upgrade, so it'd be rude not to:

16gb-1.jpg
Filename
16gb-1.jpg
File size
163.13 KiB
Views
File license

I also blasted out all the dust inside & cleaned everything while I was in there. Much better.

16gb-2.jpg
Filename
16gb-2.jpg
File size
193.47 KiB
Views
File license

Of course it turns out when you add more memory OSX immediately gobbles up more HDD for swap space. 😠

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 370 of 2070, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought Thermaltake Core V1 last month,decide to upgrade file server and make it smaller and quieter:

ttzL3v9l.jpg

Also for that case i bought pictured Asus P8H77-I,other spex:core i5 2400,8gb ddr3,an 60gb ssd,2x1tb hdds,380w FSP psu.OS win server 2003 x64

Ssd was just spare laying around. Os... i have licensed just this server os and x32 version,somewhere around was 2k server but too old 😜

VedBBwOl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 372 of 2070, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

How do you deal with dust with these grid cage cases?

Slowing down coolers as possible,i'm choosing dust filters atm,at the front panel with 200' fan dust filter by default just as on psu also,top is plexiglass so holes only back and on sides,not such bad as with my Nzxt elite 210,that has it on a top 😀

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 373 of 2070, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this to replace my Core2 Rig

Core i7 2600k
16gb GSKILL DDR3 1866
Corsair 120mm Liquid Cooler
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
EVGA GTX 680
HAF 932
Corsair HX850

15311630_560446440822144_1427443909_o.jpg
Filename
15311630_560446440822144_1427443909_o.jpg
File size
302.03 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 374 of 2070, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/1M9fmo1WAFVK0/giphy.gif […]
Show full quote

giphy.gif

^Good question.

I was gifted an Asus GL752V as an early christmas present - first time I received tech w/o me actually selecting it beforehand. Apparently my folks got it for black friday thinking it was heavily discounted (it was not) because apparently I keep saying how much I regret selling my old G751JY (used the money to buy a Yamaha Dragstar). It's a pretty good machine, and frankly it does pretty well for what it cost (~750 euro). The GTX 960M is disappointing, but It's not like I'll be playing anything more demanding then world of tanks or wow on it, so that's OK. Battery life is also pretty poor, because asus used a tiny battery - other then that i's pretty nice to use and I was very (pleasantly) surprised when I got it 😀

IMG_20161209_010049.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161209_010049.jpg
File size
2.28 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by kanecvr on 2016-12-08, 23:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 376 of 2070, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got some not-so-retro stuff today for my guest gaming PC:

MSI R9 280X + 120GB Kingston SSD:
VkZae0kl.jpg

Asrock 870 Extreme 3 AM3 motherboad:
ND8x8BGl.jpg

I stuck the Phenom II X6 1090 BE I got a few weeks ago in it and clocked it to 3.6GHz (cheap cooler can't handle more safely). The thing runs all our multiplayer games perfectly (70-90fps) at full resolution and with a little AA. I'm very surprised, especially considering I payed 110 euro for the video card, 32 euros for the mainboard and 24 euro for the SSD.

2nr8JxMl.jpg

Full specs:

Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz (will be running at 4GHz when I can get a better cooler - I'm thinking thermaright macho HR02 or an all in one water cooler)
Asrock 870 Extreme 3
2x4GB Corsair XMS3 2133MHz CL11 (running at 1600MHz CL7 due to chipset limitations)
MSI R9 280X TwinFrozr 2
120GB Kingston SATA3 SSD + old 500GB WD HDD
Thermaltake 730w 80+ PSU
Zalman Z11 Plus

Reply 377 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would it be too much to ask for ya to run the hdtune benchmark on that kingston ssd and share with us? I've been curious about it's real world performance in a real system.. not the paid view of a reviewer channel. Been tempted to try some but not sure how they -really- perform.

Reply 378 of 2070, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought another thinkpad T520 for $30 shipped, swapped out the dead board and got it running. Looked like it was owned by the parks service and didn't put much use at all on it however they abused the shit out of the lid but thankfully the screen survived. Swapped the practically new keyboard and palmrest over to my main W520 🤣. All in all it was a Good deal 😀

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 379 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kithylin wrote:

Would it be too much to ask for ya to run the hdtune benchmark on that kingston ssd and share with us? I've been curious about it's real world performance in a real system.. not the paid view of a reviewer channel. Been tempted to try some but not sure how they -really- perform.

I have one, I even let a friend borrow it for a benching setup. I'll give him a ring and see if he's can bench it. In fact I have 2 I let him use for a short wile. I'll be sure to get you a HDtune read and write run provided it can run on win2k. Its in my old 604 setup I gave him to bench so it will be limited to sata2.

I think I payed 30 some dollars a piece for them