VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Deep in the bowels of Adobe Premiere's preferences box I noticed this interesting little tidbit: "GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2." I'm using driver version 372.54.

I was running v340 on an Athlon XP not too long ago. It worked just fine. Has anyone tried newer NV drivers on machines without SSE2? Do they work at all? Just curious, I don't even have that AXP anymore.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 1 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably for signifying additional non-required CPU extensions usage, like with what many GL ICDs did in the day to report 3dnow! etc.

though, it would be a little ridiculous to stick a GTX970 in an........ Athlon XP. that's like sticking a geforce2mx in a 486

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 14, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What? That first part was about my main system. I never said I wanted to try running a GTX 970 in an Athlon XP. 😜

Years ago I did get a 9500GT working in the A-XP system, mainly to help out with AVC video decoding. That worked well enough with the 340.xx drivers. I was just wondering if anyone with a similar setup tried drivers in the 360-370 range. Do they require SSE2 now? Again, mere curiosity.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 8 of 14, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

How, isn't the fastest PCI NV card an 8400GS, and unless im wrong no PCIe chipsets exist for AXP

There were several cards faster than the 8400GS for PCI, like the 9500GT I had. It did a great job playing 1080p H.264 on my old Barton 2800. Even the high-rate 35Mb/s stuff ripped directly from the Blu-ray played just fine.

Like I said, I don't have that system anymore, and I certainly don't plan on recreating it anytime soon. But to those of you with a GT420/520/610 PCI and an Athlon XP (or PIII): I would still love to know if SSE2-less CPUs let you install the latest NV drivers. 😀

Reply 9 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if they require it. The OpenGL drivers reported 'SSE2' if your system supported it, for as long as I can remember.
NVidia had multiple backends in their drivers (there also was a '3DNow!' variation, and probably a vanilla 'SSE' as well). The driver would detect your CPU and select the best backend for your system.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 10 of 14, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

Not sure if they require it. The OpenGL drivers reported 'SSE2' if your system supported it, for as long as I can remember.
NVidia had multiple backends in their drivers (there also was a '3DNow!' variation, and probably a vanilla 'SSE' as well). The driver would detect your CPU and select the best backend for your system.

OK, that makes sense. Though, I wonder why they haven't been writing backends targeting newer instruction sets like SSE4 or AVx. IIRC SSE4 was a fairly beefy upgrade and it's been available since what, 2008?

Reply 11 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:

OK, that makes sense. Though, I wonder why they haven't been writing backends targeting newer instruction sets like SSE4 or AVx. IIRC SSE4 was a fairly beefy upgrade and it's been available since what, 2008?

Well, I will make two assumptions here:
1) The fact that the driver reports "SSE2" actually means that it uses only SSE2, not any newer versions (which are basically extensions of SSE2, using the same register set).
2) Given the fact that NV invests so much into R&D of their drivers and tools, they would have explored the possibilities of using newer instructionsets.

Under those assumptions, my explanation would be that CPUs and GPUs are competing technologies. That is, SSE and AVX are meant to speed up matrix/vector maths, which is exactly the same purpose a GPU has. Except that a GPU is much faster for massively parallel tasks.
So the more matrix/vector maths NV offloads to the GPU, the less the CPU actually has to do. Roughly since the DirectX 9 era, we've pretty much reached a point where the GPU is fully 'self-sufficient', and the CPU mainly needs to pump the data into video memory, at least, in the driver.
Maths are either performed in GPU shaders, or in preparation of data to be sent to the driver, so on the application side. There's not much going on in the driver itself.
Perhaps SSE2 is adequate for that (it has cache prefetching instructions, you can swizzle your data), and the new instructions don't add anything of value.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 12 of 14, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like I said, I don't have that system anymore, and I certainly don't plan on recreating it anytime soon. But to those of you with a GT420/520/610 PCI and an Athlon XP (or PIII): I would still love to know if SSE2-less CPUs let you install the latest NV drivers. 😀

No problem installing Nvidia driver ver. 368.81 on my old P3 Sytem + GT520 PCI (WinXP), the latest for the platform. However it needed SP3, .Net 4 & WIC(Windows Imaging Component).

Nvidia+P3_1.JPG
Filename
Nvidia+P3_1.JPG
File size
73.53 KiB
Views
File comment
WIC needed
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Nvidia+ P3_2.JPG
Filename
Nvidia+ P3_2.JPG
File size
108.26 KiB
Views
File comment
Success
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 13 of 14, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gandhig wrote:

No problem installing Nvidia driver ver. 368.81 on my old P3 Sytem + GT520 PCI (WinXP), the latest for the platform. However it needed SP3, .Net 4 & WIC(Windows Imaging Component).

You're my hero! 😁
Damn, I'm actually a bit surprised that the newest drivers don't require SSE2. Everything else seems to these days--even Office and iTunes!

Reply 14 of 14, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're my hero! 😁

You are mine too, remember 😁
Kudos to Nvidia for still supporting old systems

P.S. Unforunately, GT520 PCI seems to have bitten the dust (artifacting), after it was brought alive today after a long time gathering dust. It barely stays stable for few minutes after boot 😢 . IIRC, it showed similar signs just before it was retired a year ago. R.I.P.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain