VOGONS

First post, by cuba200611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I just registered, even though I've been lurking this forum for a long time now.

I have a question to ask concerning DOS audio under this laptop.

When I try to load the driver via AUTOEXEC.BAT under DOS mode via Windows 98, it borks out requesting that "Please use Windows Software Applet to enable Sound Blaster, MPU401 and Game port for Real/Windows DOS".

Can anybody provide some context to this? That would be helpful. 😀

Reply 1 of 11, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My ESS Solo-1 cards requires a configuration file called ESSOLO.INI placed in C:\ when using it in pure DOS, guess the Allegro also need it's configuration file in C:\.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 11, by dutchdosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i recently acquired this exact laptop model from a random thrift shop and wanted to give it a go with some old games.
Windows games ran fine no problems there but dos games didn't get any sound as explained in the first post here.

I'v spend a few hours on the internet trying to find appropriate drivers to no avail.
I'v also tried what seems to be the solution for "Cuba200611" but then it prompts with an error about the config file.
I also tried a different file i found on the net but while this gave no errors there was absolutely no sound when i tried to boot Quake (1) and the setup of duke nukem 3d flatout froze the whole machine when i attempted to test the sound.

I was hoping if you could perhaps give a more detailed explanation how you ended up solving the issue on your machine.
(ps i'v installed Windows 98SE on the machine as main operating system)

Reply 4 of 11, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even tried this one? http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=60&menustate=0

YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 11, by dutchdosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

I have yes.

I'v followed the instructions that come with the relevant driver to the letter but the result is that my games still run without audio (even tho there are no errors)

Reply 6 of 11, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dutchdosgamer wrote:

I have yes.

I'v followed the instructions that come with the relevant driver to the letter but the result is that my games still run without audio (even tho there are no errors)

Which mode does the initializer show, DDMA, TDMA or PC/PCI? Do you boot directly to DOS (F8 or edited MSDOS.SYS to BootGUI=0) or do you exit to DOS after booting Windows first?

You can also try the DOS mixer utility for the ES186x cards after initialazion to see if the audio are muted (utility worked on my Solo-1/ES1938S for adjusting volume): http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=616&menustate=0

YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 11, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dutchdosgamer wrote:

I'v tried booting it in all the ways you mentioned (using F8 at startup, in windows its self and after quiting from windows)

As for the mode it says its "DMA Mode is TDMA"

Not sure if the chipset of your motherboard works with the sound"card" in TDMA mode, but DDMA is out of the question. Too bad the thread starter doesn't hang around.

You can try this modified INI file, I changed the Sound Blaster IRQ from 5 to 7. Just a shot in the dark. 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    ESSAUDIO.INI
    File size
    98 Bytes
    Downloads
    426 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 11, by dutchdosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again for your help but sadly that didn't result in any sound output either 😵

On the bright side however i struck gold at an other flea market today and got myself a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 laptop for which i had the exact same problem and found out about the VMDSound sound blaster emulator.
I ended up fixing the dos sound for both of them using that which i found here : Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Only downside is that it only works while running in windows but at least it works so i can enjoy my quake and other dos games properly with sound 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did it! Now i've got sound on my Compaq Evo N400C in pure dos!

Downloaded archive from here http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=60&menustate=0
Unpacked content from ES198X.zip\ES198X to C:\
Did WIN+R, typed Sysedit and then followed instruction ES198X

Into config.sys I added :

DEVICEHIGH=C:\ESSAUDIO.SYS

Into autoexec.bat I added:

LH C:\ESSAUDIO.COM
:: SET BLASTER=A220 D1 I5 T4

Then i rebooted my PC, F8, command prompt only, tried Duke Nukem 3d and GTA 1. Both with Sound Blaster 16, both had sound under dos!