VOGONS

Roland SC-88 Pro demo songs?

Topic actions

First post, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, my SC-55 came with 3 built in demo songs, and it was easy to find out how to play them.

Yesterday I bought an SC-88 Pro, and I was wondering if it also came with built in songs. I can't for the life of me find how to activate them if so.

Anyone know?

Reply 1 of 23, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Contrary to the SC-55, I believe the SC-88Pro doesn't have any demo songs in its ROM. It might have shipped with demo songs on a floppy disk, you can easily find these online with some googling.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 23, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, no built-in demo songs for SC-88 ... I am attaching the Roland Demo Songs for the SC-88 Pro, I believe these are the ones that the unit came with 😎

Attachments

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 23, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this: http://www.grandgent.com/tom/projects/tmidi/ , works wonders

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 23, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some midi files of the music from Conquests of Camelot, downloaded from Quest Studios, I think. They come both in a GM and an MT variant. At least the MT variants also come with an extra Sysex file, that I have no idea if it is needed.

When I play the Black Knight theme through my MT-32 I get some weird instrument sounds at some points in the song, which are not there in the Youtube version nor the Ogg version I have.

I haven't tried the game itself in Dosbox, it might simply be the midi file that is incorrect.

Reply 8 of 23, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For these MT-32 midi you need to load the SysEx files first and then play the midi - else like you found playback is wrong. TMIDI only works with SysEx messages integrated to the midi files, not sure about mt-32 ones though.
For these I use DOS, dump.exe to load the SysEx to MT-32 and then MFPLAY to play them. Not sure about windows though, maybe someone else has a solution.

Reply 9 of 23, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For windows I can recommend Midi-OX - use it to send a SysEx file to your MT-32 and then use TMIDI to play your Quest Studios midifile, which should now sound correct because the custom instruments will have been loaded into your MT-32.

http://www.midiox.com/

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 10 of 23, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately, when I load the sysex file in Midi-OX it seems to clog down the USB to midi adapter or something. Trying to play the song afterwards, either in the built in midi player in Midi-OX or TMIDI, only gives an error message about the USB midi interface not being available.

I might have configured it wrong, but I'm not sure.

Reply 11 of 23, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is the complete Sound Canvas (55, 55MKII, 88, 88Pro, 8820, 8850) demo collection, including the complete SC User Groups archives.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ylluildl9q18mil … Canvas_Demos.7z

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 12 of 23, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
c0keb0ttle wrote:

Unfortunately, when I load the sysex file in Midi-OX it seems to clog down the USB to midi adapter or something. Trying to play the song afterwards, either in the built in midi player in Midi-OX or TMIDI, only gives an error message about the USB midi interface not being available.

I think I might have come across a similar issue a few years ago, although I don't remember if it was with an MT-32 or a D-550 - maybe MIDI-OX is transferring the Sysex too quickly for the MT-32 to be able to deal with it. You can try to adjust the speed of the transfer by reducing the buffers in MIDI-OX, see if it helps.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13 of 23, by Romantique Tp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Neither the SC-88 or SC-88Pro have built-in demos.
The rest of the Sound Canvas line do.

Last edited by Romantique Tp on 2016-11-20, 22:57. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube - Sound module demos and video game music

Reply 14 of 23, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
c0keb0ttle wrote:

I think I might have come across a similar issue a few years ago, although I don't remember if it was with an MT-32 or a D-550 - maybe MIDI-OX is transferring the Sysex too quickly for the MT-32 to be able to deal with it. You can try to adjust the speed of the transfer by reducing the buffers in MIDI-OX, see if it helps.

Thanks for the tip, but I can't get it to work properly.

I'll keep fiddling with it. Maybe I should borrow a Roland UM-ONE USB midi adapter from a friend just to make sure my cheap Ebay junk is not the cause.

Reply 15 of 23, by Romantique Tp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're using either of these, or something similar...
http://i.imgur.com/8f5slma.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/KcfXYme.jpg

These cables are unable to transmit sysex.

YouTube - Sound module demos and video game music

Reply 16 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Incorrect. These cables are very often built without proper impedance and/or optical isolation which is generally what causes the problem.

From the point of view of the UART, SYSEX messages are just serial data.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Potentially some sequences might get chopped, but it will all be because of what I mentioned.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 23, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Got hold of a Roland USB interface, and can now transfer Sysex without a problem.

The midi file sek has a weird instrument in it, but I'm starting to think that is the fault of the file...