VOGONS

Dual boot software recomendation?

Topic actions

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a pice of software i should be able to have a boot selector and able to help on starting installation from d drive and select what hard drive i want to install it on, im not talking about partition's, but seperated hard drives.

Reply 1 of 20, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nic-93 wrote:

Its a pice of software i should be able to have a boot selector and able to help on starting installation from d drive and select what hard drive i want to install it on, im not talking about partition's, but seperated hard drives.

I currently use GRUB4DOS quite successfully for my DOS/Windows 95 dual boot setup. I originally wanted to use System Commander Deluxe which would be more period correct for my computer, and would be able to handle your situation as well, however I didn't have a legit serial number for it so wasn't able to install. I found GRUB4DOS, and I like it very much, other than it is configured entirely through text file(s) rather than a polished GUI like System Commander. Using GRUB4DOS's "map" command it would be very easy to set up a dual boot configuration with separate physical hard disks. My setup is two partitions on the same drive which, for DOS, made it a bit more complicated than if I were to be able to just use the "map" command (DOS needs to be installed on the first partition, and this requirement extends to DOS-based OS including Win9x).

Reply 3 of 20, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nic-93 wrote:

how would i need to install system commander?

If you have a copy of System Commander and a legit serial, the setup is pretty easy... just boot from the install floppy(s) and go through the install process. System Commander provides a GUI-like interface with some wizard-like options to install OS's on druves and partitions. Note, however, that I have never tried to use a System Commander-like software and a Dynamic Disk Overlay program together before... both will attempt to get in to the MBR of the drive, so be wary if you are using a DDO. You can definitely use GRUB4DOS with a DDO (I do) with certain configurations, but as mentioned, GRUB4DOS provides no configuration GUI or wizards so you sort of have to know at least what you're trying to accomplish when reading through the configuration documentation.

Reply 5 of 20, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nic-93 wrote:

its a floppy disk series? then its gonna be quiet hard to find it.

I was able to find quite a few different versions as floppy images at a couple different sites online, but no serials (that worked, anyway); your best bet is probably to find a used/real copy somewhere, perhaps eBay. System Commander is definitely the defacto multi-boot manager for non-Linux systems in the 90s. They even had marketing campaigns in magazines, like Computer Game World, PC Mag, etc.

Reply 6 of 20, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

could you possibly upload those image's if stil haveing? im haveing a serius difficult time finding them at all, if i even try searching i get the game total commander because it holds that word.

Reply 7 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Likely a no no, unless you can provide documentation that the software has been released as public domain or free-to-use. This forum has a pretty strict policy against warez and abandonware.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 20, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Masterbooter is one that I use, for years, and very happily. Its shareware version is good for 3 different boot options. If you need more in a single system you need to get the registered version.

http://www.masterbooter.com/main/news.php?lang=en

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For old pre p2 systems, with HDD's smallere than 4gb. I use Os/2 boot manager. For bigger and newer systems, I use extended fdisk.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

would it be easy on dual booting from xp and have windows 98 as the second system? the motherboard are compitbel with either system.

Don't know. Never tried that way around. I have allways used eighter Os/2 boot manager or Extended Fdisk.
Unless we are moving into Unix and Linux territory. Then I have used whatever came with the distro.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 20, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sammy wrote:

If you have win98 installed on C: and then install xp on another partition D:, E:, etc... then XP will install a boot menu where you can choose between 98 and XP

thats what i am trying to get he computer to do, installing windows xp on d, but doesnt sem to work

Reply 14 of 20, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:

If you have win98 installed on C: and then install xp on another partition D:, E:, etc... then XP will install a boot menu where you can choose between 98 and XP

Ah, yes, I've been in the DOS world so long that I forgot that Windows NT (and successors such as 2000, XP, etc.) doesn't care about not being installed on C:. So long as the older DOS-based Windows OS is already installed on C:, you should be able to install the newer NT-based OS on D: and the installer should detect the older OS and create the boot menu. The NT boot process is pretty slick compared to DOS boot process, almost like a real boot manager.

Reply 16 of 20, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will work, wherever it is. Install Windows 98 first, then start installing XP. It will ask you if you want to keep the existing OS on the disk. Tell "yes" and continue as instructed by the setup program. Chose whatever you want as the target (D:, E:, X:, etc.). It will create a bootstrap in C, which will act as a boot manager and will ask you each time which OS do you want to boot and will let you choose.

You probably don't want to do that, though, since making Windows 98 working with more than 1GB RAM is problematic at best, and running Windows XP with less than 1GB is slow.

Last edited by tayyare on 2016-12-19, 10:50. Edited 2 times in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000