VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking on buying iClone 5 or 6 for making 3D characters. I read that each of these cards meet the recommended system requirements, but how well do they do they perform in max visual quality? I have an Asus GT 210 with 1GB DDR3 to start off with and i'm considering to get a GT 730 or GTX 750Ti in future. I try to stick to cards like these due to their low power draw.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 10, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

I'm thinking on buying iClone 5 or 6 for making 3D characters. I read that each of these cards meet the recommended system requirements, but how well do they do they perform in max visual quality? I have an Asus GT 210 with 1GB DDR3 to start off with and i'm considering to get a GT 730 or GTX 750Ti in future. I try to stick to cards like these due to their low power draw.

I can't speak to the GT 210, but I've currently got a Geforce 660 which I believe has a higher bus bandwith (192 as opposed to 198) and more RAM, but I think the number of shaders on the 750ti is probably higher. I'm fairly happy with the 660, it will run Fallout 4 at 30-40 fps in 1440p. I don't know how well that translates in terms of content creation but I think you will be happier with the 750ti.

Reply 2 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the low prices of 750ti's I cant see any reason to skimp and go with something lesser. There was a Black Friday deal I saw where they were $60 And they are usually $80-90 on sale anyways.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 10, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I just checked the specs, memory is the same but the bus bandwidth and number of shaders on the 660 is higher compared to the 750ti. I imagine the 750ti would be your best bet of the cards you mentioned, I don't see a reason to go lower than that, especially if you plan on doing any gaming. A 750ti would blow a 210 out of the water, so would the 730 most likely but I think you'd be happier with the 750ti unless you are particularly budget constrained. GPUboss actually has the 750ti slightly edging out the Geforce 660, but that should be expected probably considering it is a generation ahead: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs … GeForce-GTX-660

Reply 4 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

skip all and go to GTX 1050 Ti, no external power it runs very cool and sits inbetween a GTX 960 and GTX 970 in preformance

Reply 5 of 10, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In high poly character modeling only the 750 will perform decently, the rest are pretty crap. When I'm modeling I want as fast as possible viewport performance, and the GT210 and GT730 are too slow. The GTX 750 is OK for character modeling as long as you don't use advanced viewport rendering like in 3dsmax 2016.

Reply 7 of 10, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

skip all and go to GTX 1050 Ti, no external power it runs very cool and sits inbetween a GTX 960 and GTX 970 in preformance

GTX 1050 Ti does not support Windows XP, and I don't use anything Vista onwards. (Only Linux) So it looks like the 750Ti is the best option. (Only 20W power consumption) I'm surprised the prices are crazy low now. Just around $80? What a steal.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 8 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The G210 is so low end that nVidia didn't give it a "T", people just started adding it out of habit. It's actually just called the "Geforce 210" or "G210". 😀 Low power card that can be useful for H.264 video acceleration but not for any remotely modern 3D demands.

Reply 9 of 10, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

I'd say Quadro...

Quadro is for autocad (common misconception). They actually perform worse then regular cards in 3dsmax due to more conservative clocks. Rendering is not done on the video card anyway, so viewport performance is what you're looking for in a video card for a 3d modeling machine. If you do want to render on your video card, you'd want something like an nvidia Tesla (witch is not actually a video card 😜 ) + nvidia iRay (for max) or nvidia mental ray (for maya).

My 3d modeling and rendering rig uses a RX 470 + Dual Xeon X5690. Rendering is done on the CPUs, and the RX 470 gets great viewport performance even with complex scenes.

bZmpyB8l.jpg

Reply 10 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh.......my 3d modeling didn't really demand anything more than OpenGL complaince and big 24/32-bit texture support on the various hardware between 2000-2016. Input hardware was a lot more important than video for me

Blender 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem