VOGONS

Common searches

Just got Shadow Warrior Working

Topic actions

First post, by Spædbarn Dakin

User metadata

ingakxsw0017zm.th.png

The only issue I found might the gamma, which I had to significantly increase in order to make the screenshot visible.

Can this get fixed?.

Reply 4 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No reason why you shouldn't, but I tried and had to do some weird stuff to get it to work at all, and then the colours were all reversed.

One trap with Glidos, is that you can think you have it working, but all you have actually managed is to get Glidos to start the non-Glide version of the game. A good test is to run Glidos in windowed mode. If the game appears in a window rather than full screen then you've done it.

Reply 5 of 20, by Spædbarn Dakin

User metadata

1- I don't think Glidos would run sw.exe instead of sw3dfx.exe unless you specify so (and I didn't).

2- There's a mipmap filtering method being applied, no pixelation.

3- Shadow Warrior doesn't do 1024x768, not even through the original glide.

4- Certain settings modified in Glidos produce different visual reactions.

The game however, won't run in windowed mode at all (closes). Once it's starting, TOMB minimizes to taskbar, so I just click to get full screen. That would be all about it.

I fixed the gamma/constrast problem by messing up with my monitor's settings, the game itself doesn't benefit much from the Glidos' gamma because there are no constrast controls to make a proper balance.

Reply 6 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hope you are right, but:

1) sw3dfx.exe may fall back to VESA if it can't find what it needs to run Glide.

2) Some build engine games have highres textures, which make it look like filtering is being applied.

3) Blood runs at 1024x768 in VESA, but not in Glide (except via Glidos).

4) That sounds promising. But then the Gamma setting should work.

Reply 7 of 20, by Spædbarn Dakin

User metadata

1) sw3dfx.exe may fall back to VESA if it can't find what it needs to run Glide

That would be quite messy on XP, not to mention textures wouldn't look blurred out.

Some build engine games have highres textures, which make it look like filtering is being applied

SW doesn't have these as far as I know, however, if it did, they would have to be something created with enough detail to make my current hardware catch fire.

Blood runs at 1024x768 in VESA, but not in Glide (except via Glidos)

I doubt the voodoos available back then could perform good running first person shooters under that resolution. It's to be expected.

That sounds promising. But then the Gamma setting should work

The Glidos gamma works but as I stated before, it also takes contrast in order to get a decent picture. Do something to make sw3dfx display correctly or add a contrast control, any of them would be fine 😉

Reply 8 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spædbarn Dakin wrote:

1) sw3dfx.exe may fall back to VESA if it can't find what it needs to run Glide

That would be quite messy on XP, not to mention textures wouldn't look blurred out.

TR1 manages it under XP, but yes the blurred out textures sound very hopeful.

Some build engine games have highres textures, which make it look like filtering is being applied

SW doesn't have these as far as I know, however, if it did, they would have to be something created with enough detail to make my current hardware catch fire.

Somebody posted about another build engine game, and the screen shots looked very smooth, but it turned out it was just the textures being high res. Looked good enough to confuse me anyway. Might have been Redneck Rampage.

Blood runs at 1024x768 in VESA, but not in Glide (except via Glidos)

I doubt the voodoos available back then could perform good running first person shooters under that resolution. It's to be expected.

As I said "in VESA, not in Glide", and whether or not hardware back then could handle it, the game will run at the resolution.

That sounds promising. But then the Gamma setting should work

The Glidos gamma works but as I stated before, it also takes contrast in order to get a decent picture. Do something to make sw3dfx display correctly or add a contrast control, any of them would be fine 😉

I think the Glidos gamma control working is conclusive proof that it is working via Glidos, although there is still the possibility that it is using Glidos's VESA emulation, and not Glide.

Does what you have done work for the downloadable demo. If so I could try your set up here and maybe work it into the next Glidos release.

Reply 11 of 20, by Spædbarn Dakin

User metadata

Somebody posted about another build engine game, and the screen shots looked very smooth, but it turned out it was just the textures being high res. Looked good enough to confuse me anyway. Might have been Redneck Rampage

Redneck Rampage does high-res but only for sprites and very few textures such as the wall picture ones, the rest is still low-res as in any other build game. The confusion could have been triggered by the screenies, which were probably taken in a resolution your monitor display very little.

As I said "in VESA, not in Glide", and whether or not hardware back then could handle it, the game will run at the resolution

We have a misunderstood here, but it's still too small to worth further discussion 😉

Does what you have done work for the downloadable demo

Yes it does, no problems so far.

If so I could try your set up here and maybe work it into the next Glidos

From Glidos.ini

Name: Shadow Warrior
Executable: C:\SW\sw3dfx.exe
ControlJudderFix: 100
Resolution: 2
FullScreen: Yes
GammaAdjustment: 1.00
ForcedTextureSmoothing: Yes
BloodFix: Yes

From OpenGLid.ini

WrapperPriority=0
CreateWindow=0
InitFullScreen=0
EnableMipMaps=1
IgnorePaletteChange=0
Wrap565to5551=1
EnablePrecisionFix=1
EnableMultiTextureEXT=1
EnablePaletteEXT=1
EnableVertexArrayEXT=0
TextureMemorySize=32
FrameBufferMemorySize=16

From SW3DFX.CF2

[Setup]
;Setup File for Shadow Warrior
SetupVersion = "1.2 (3Dfx v1.1)"
;
;
[Screen Setup]
;
;
;ScreenMode
; - Chained - 0
; - Vesa 2.0 - 1
; - Screen Buffered - 2
; - Tseng optimized - 3
; - Paradise optimized - 4
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6
;
;ScreenWidth passed to engine
;
;ScreenHeight passed to engine
;
;
ScreenMode = 1
ScreenWidth = 640
ScreenHeight = 480

He he. Tell us your secrets

Actually I don't have any other than these config settings and possibly some nicely tweaked NVIDIA drivers 😁

The first screenshot (left), show how SW looks without adjusting gamma/constrast, the second one (right) is the same screenshot but "equalized" with an image editor. Have a taste 😁

sdsw026cj.th.png sdsw030kd.th.png

Reply 13 of 20, by Spædbarn Dakin

User metadata

Actually it is not possible (I might be wrong thus in case, someone enlight me) to force this stuff on Glidos via NVIDIA drivers (same goes for mipmaps, anisotropic filtering, etc). I've changed a few settings though, but mostly related to OCing, nothing (excepting the gamma/constrast) I could actually tell is affecting the way SW displays on my screen.

Reply 15 of 20, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nVidias antialiasing definitely works with Glidos -- makes TR look lovely at lower resolutions. And the anisotropic filtering at a medium setting is pretty good too.

You can get very different visuals using driver combinations with/without the mipmaps enabled in openglid.ini. I found a good combination that I like in TR.

Anyway, going OT. Sorry.

Last edited by Gambit37 on 2005-04-01, 09:50. Edited 1 time in total.