VOGONS

First post, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installing OS/2 on my 486-DX4-100 (120 due to OC), and I have never used (That I was aware of, probably used it in an integrated system) it before. It's OS/2 Warp 4, any tips?

I hear that Win support isn't that great, is it just Win16, or is it Win16 and Win32?

Either way DTC drivers are supposedly better on OS/2, so here goes.

Last edited by Ampera on 2016-12-20, 03:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice to hear. Yeah.... Os/2 is great. Personally I like 3.0 better. (That's just another story)

Anyway...
If you set it up for dual boot with Dos/Win and Os/2, then you won't have to think about win integration at all.
Just a matter of choosing the needed OS at boot. I allways do dual/tripple boot when running Os/2.
And it is quite fun to set a computer up this way.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 8, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I saw some OS2 WARP systems in action when I was very young. I know a lot of people on this forum like it. I'm curious what do you actually use them for outside of a business?

OP: Also putting OS2 in the subject line might get more forum members who are familiar with OS2 to read it. Just a thought. 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depending on your version of OS/2, it might have support for Windows 3.1 (win16 only,) or it might not have Windows support at all. It will have DOS support, though.

At this point, it's hard to find native OS/2 software, the latest OS/2 version of Firefox is 2.0.

Really, just play with it and enjoy the historical curiosity that is OS/2. (I was a major OS/2 proponent back in the day - ran OS/2 2.0 beta on a 386-upgraded 286 PS/2, all the way up to running Warp 4 as my main OS until Windows 98 came out. - Or at least until I got the Windows 98 beta.)

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Freak wrote:

Depending on your version of OS/2, it might have support for Windows 3.1 (win16 only,) or it might not have Windows support at all. It will have DOS support, though.

Yup. Some Win32 apps will run via Odin, though. I was shocked when it actually ran my copy of Neko Project II.. (^_^)

Anonymous Freak wrote:

Really, just play with it and enjoy the historical curiosity that is OS/2.

os2pm.gif
Filename
os2pm.gif
File size
16.11 KiB
Views
File comment
OS/2 v1.1 Presentation Manager and Applications (on 286 system)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played with os/2 warp and liked it. Got it years ago together with a ps/2 386 system, saidly i gave them both away.
I remember that the Escom shops here in the Netherlands where the main supporters of os/2, selling it as a cheap alternative to windows back then.

Reply 7 of 8, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, funny story, I have an old IBM Eserver 235 that is still quite useful today, however no modern version of windows will run on it. Linux works (Sometimes), but that's about it. I was thinking of picking up a copy of EComStation (The successor to OS/2) which still has support and security patches. It supports modern versions of Java, so it would be useful as a Minecraft server or something.

Reply 8 of 8, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Warp 4 only has one option : with Windows and networking (if you're being very picky, I seem to remember there's a Windows less version included as part of the IBM Developer programme..). It can only run 16 bit Windows apps, and some Win32s programs. Odin is a bit hit and miss in win32 compatibility.

I personally wouldn't use OS/2 for anything Java related - use a Unix instead, and do it for free. It was a lovely operating system at the time, but harder to justify using if you don't have an existing archive of software.

There's a Galactic Civilisations 2 demo at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/ … strategy/galciv - still a great game.