VOGONS

First post, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For DOS I have always used creative cards in the past. Right now I am building a K6-2 system which can be slowed down to 386/486 speeds. I plan on using a Labway A151-A00 with Yamaha YMF719 chip along with a DreamBlaster S1 for sound. Oddly I've not been able to find a Windows 98 or DOS driver for the Labway card? Am I missing something?

Reply 1 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those cards, I have it on a 486 and I really like the sound for DOS games.

I don't know about Windows drivers, but for DOS all I needed was a Yamaha utility called SETUPSA.EXE that allowed me to configure the address, interrupt and DMA among other things.

I think it was bundled with a driver package, I will try to look for it when I get home, but probably someone here knows exactly where to find it on the web.

Reply 2 of 9, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I just finished installing Windows 98 SE and it looks like there is a driver built in. It recognizes it as a "YAMAHA OPL3-SAx" so it appears I may have asked the Windows 98 part of this question prematurely, unless there is a better driver then the one that's built in. Now just need the details on getting it to work in DOS mode.

Reply 4 of 9, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could not find any drivers on Yamaha's website and google searches didn't find much. I did find one reference to a Labway driver CD on Vogon's Drivers which indicating it was for a YMF724 chip. I went ahead and downloaded that and it looks like it works for YMF719 as well. It has the same executable SETUPSA.EXE as referenced by 'TheMobRules" and all it did was setup the "SET BLASTER" line in the autoexec. Had some trouble getting DirectX working but fixed that. I'll mess with sound on some DOS games later tonight.

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=6 … &menustate=35,0

Reply 5 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I believe I used the same YMF724 driver package from vogonsdrivers.

That DOS utility does not only add the "SET BLASTER" line to AUTOEXEC.BAT, it should also configure the PnP values for the card settings. For running DOS games, that should be all you need to get it working without any additional drivers (at least that was the case for me).

Reply 6 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You want the OPL3-SAx driver package. Yamaha appears to have just reorganized this part of their website, so older information on this forum might be out of date.

You can now find the software here:
http://device.yamaha.com/en/lsi/download/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 9, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I'll take a look at that. Interestingly enough I've tried Doom and the Midi music works but the other sound like gunshots and other effects isn't working. I assume this means the system is recognizing the dreamblaster S1 but not the actual OPL?

Reply 9 of 9, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is this card any good? i just found one in an old k2 amd system my dad had

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP