VOGONS

First post, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a mis-packaged item from ebay, where I thought it was an ISA EIDE controller, the seller didn't check the box contents and I got a really old IDE controller and then also some very odd ISA card.

The odd ISA card LOOKS like a mouse bus card, and only has MT204A-IF Rev. E on the card. There is a similar one on ebay, MT204A-IF REV. 0. The layout is similar, but I have chips mounted everywhere, where the one on ebay has missing chips.

Anyone have any idea what it is? Recycle it? (worthless POS..."point of sale" guys...isa expansion card or something?)

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 1 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most cities have an electronics recycling depot of some sort which takes old electronics for free. They often have surveillance cameras setup to ensure that you do not take what others have left. It is VERY tempting.

Is that a Microsoft Mouse Bus card? That is what it looks like. I'd really like it to be a PS/2 mouse card, which probably does not exist. PS/2 tends to operate on IRQ 12, but that would require a 16-bit ISA card.

EDIT: Looking on eBay for that card, it counted 8 pins. Mouse Bus had 9 pins. PS/2 has 6 pins. ADB had 4 pins. I do not know what that card is which you received.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 8, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll hold to it for a while. No point in giving it to the recycler's right now. Odd that I can't find anything about it anywhere. Must be a very specific industry card.

EDIT: I might have an idea. An ISA port for a hand-scanner. Golden Image scanner (amiga?). I'm looking more into it. 😎

Reply 3 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps something very old consumer or less old, but not so consumer oriented. Ask the ebay seller.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 8, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My eBay google-fu is failing me, I can't find a picture of the card you're referring to.

Is the 8-pin port like an old Macintosh serial port? http://www.cablestogo.ca/product-images/02315/600/02315a.jpg

There is a possibility it's a PC "AppleTalk networking card" - a few companies made cards to add AppleTalk ports to PCs so you could network them with your Macintosh network.

Reply 5 of 8, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ebay item #231976510541

(i think this is okay, as its not a direct link to ebay?)

It does look like that there's an on board BIOS, or at least firmware chip, on mine.

Reply 6 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a chip by "Marson" on the Ebay card. Googling Marson gets me this, a manufacturer of barcode readers, whose product codes all start with "MT". So a handscanner was a pretty good guess.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also share the idea this could be an interface card for some sort of scanning device. It reminds me of the card which came with my old handheld scanner.
It was made by Mustek, I think. On eBay, you will find a similar, albeit older model (#231520241783): a Mustek CG-6000.
Other popular handheld scanners (aka hand / handy scanners) where the Logitech ScanMan or the Genius GeniScan series (like GeniScan GS-4500).

Logitech Scanman Handheld 256 Greyscale (youtube)
Genius GeniScan GS-4500

Edit: Speaking of scanners (optical, not radio types), there is an interesting episode of The Computer Chronicles..
It aired in 1991, and has got some footage of popular scanners along with the computer systems of the day (like Windows 3.x and Macintosh systems).
..and in the news part, it also confirms that the original MPC specs included a 286 processor, not a 386SX. 😉

Computer Chronicles - Scanners (1991) (youtube)

Last edited by Jo22 on 2016-12-29, 14:48. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty sure it is a card for a barcode scanner for a Point-of-Sale in a shop, made by the manufacturer I found earlier. That company, Marson, had a pen/barcode scanner with product code MT-205 available in 2001: http://web.archive.org/web/20010923235252/htt … om.tw/form2.htm, so the MT-204 would be its direct predecessor. The "IF" in the ISA card product numbers likely stands for "InterFace".

The card is probably useless without the barcode scanner itself and the card drivers. The OP could try contacting Marson for more information. Finding drivers was already a problem back in 1997...