VOGONS

Reply 60 of 106, by Vincebus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

weeks ago i ALMOST killed my only 286 board, typical.. i plugged the AT p8 p9 connectors backwards , when i turned on the pc it didnt made any sound and the PSU fan wasnt spinning, so i assumed that i killed it.. however, i dont know why i had that feeling but , you know those nuts down the motherboard for mounting, in my case noticed those were big enough to make contact with some traces and short them, that short caused to turn off the psu before screwing the mobo from the bad connection.. so i isolated the screws, plugged correcty the psu, and BEEP, that was close.

lo-fi fingers...

Reply 61 of 106, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Sorry to hear that. My childhood collection (7-8 sets and about 3000 pieces in total) still exists with all the parts intact and I added to it a little bit more (about 170.000 pieces 😊) during my adult life, so I'm still an addict. Stopped buying a few years ago though, due to financial problems. 🤣

I prefer KNex myself, or meccano. But ultimately I preffer raw electrical engineering and device design.

Look for "mindstorms" in a relevant site (like bricklink.com catalog section or brickets.com). You will be amazed, I guess. 😀

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 62 of 106, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
Ampera wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Sorry to hear that. My childhood collection (7-8 sets and about 3000 pieces in total) still exists with all the parts intact and I added to it a little bit more (about 170.000 pieces 😊) during my adult life, so I'm still an addict. Stopped buying a few years ago though, due to financial problems. 🤣

I prefer KNex myself, or meccano. But ultimately I preffer raw electrical engineering and device design.

Look for "mindstorms" in a relevant site (like bricklink.com catalog section or brickets.com). You will be amazed, I guess. 😀

Oh no, I've seen mindstorms. It looks neat, but it's WAY too expensive for my blood. Lego is already highway robbery as it is, even if you get what you pay for.

Reply 63 of 106, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

Oh no, I've seen mindstorms. It looks neat, but it's WAY too expensive for my blood. Lego is already highway robbery as it is, even if you get what you pay for.

I said you will be amazed and yes, It's price is just on the far side of "amazing", unfortunately. 🤣

I never had one, probably will never have one either, except a lottery win or something. 😊

With those prices you are right that it's kind of robbery (despite their very high quality and terrific design), so starting from 2010, I only allow them to rob me for the sets I buy for my daughter (all pink & purple "friends" stuff as you can imagine 😐).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 66 of 106, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only regret selling some nice retrostuff to a complete moronic, doublefaced and lunatic person locally. It's a screw-up because I sold my gear at a nice price to someone not worth it. I would feel much better if I killed it with a bad PSU or something.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 67 of 106, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I only regret selling some nice retrostuff to a complete moronic, doublefaced and lunatic person locally. It's a screw-up because I sold my gear at a nice price to someone not worth it. I would feel much better if I killed it with a bad PSU or something.

Don't sell your gear, my friend. Hoard your dead and working parts alike until the floor is flooded with cases and boxes full of parts worthy of a museum, but not of one man.

Or just collect wisely, that always works..

Reply 68 of 106, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Week ago while I was carying in one hand a laptop with charger, three harddrives, empty box and bunch of floppies and two meters from my door while I was searching for correct key I accidently dropped WD400 harddrive on stone stairs. Instant click of death. Whoops!

But it didn't bug me too much, I have 5 more of them and it was just very common 40 gig harddrive, but still, it is a harddrive! 🙁

Reply 69 of 106, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

Don't sell your gear, my friend. Hoard your dead and working parts alike until the floor is flooded with cases and boxes full of parts worthy of a museum, but not of one man.

Wise words 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 70 of 106, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:
Anonymous Freak wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

So did you kill anything yet? 😊

Does a relationship count? 😁

Stop taking shots at yourselves.

And now you killed my feelings 😢
What else could possibly go wrong now? 🤣

keropi wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Wise words 😊

A wise man here on Vogons once got told how many PC cases I have. This wise man remarked something along the lines of "That's a ton of computer cases! 😁"
it...might...actually be true 🤣 but so far the roof hasn't collapsed yet so who cares! 😁

And btw, if people who buy retro stuff are similar to people who want your help deworming their stuff, then no thanks!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 71 of 106, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

A wise man here on Vogons once got told how many PC cases I have. This wise man remarked something along the lines of "That's a ton of computer cases! 😁"
it...might...actually be true 🤣 but so far the roof hasn't collapsed yet so who cares! 😁

And btw, if people who buy retro stuff are similar to people who want your help deworming their stuff, then no thanks!

I wish I had tons of retro cases. Trying to get something as simple as a DX4 era box is as hard as balls.

Reply 72 of 106, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I wish I had tons of retro cases. Trying to get something as simple as a DX4 era box is as hard as balls.

I fell your pain.....

Sort of a multi-quote here but I learned the lesson of NOT hoarding the stuff you love the hard way....though I may still have some back home hidden in a few corners.

One of my biggest screw ups was purging all that XT-early-Pentium era stuff I had back in the early-mid 2000's when I moved to Washington State. I swear, if I sold that stuff now, I'd be raking in a pretty nice chunk of change, and if I kept that stuff I'd not be bumming around forums and hatching plots to get my hands on vintage cases by selling other things off to balance out the cost. At my peak of my retro-geekery in Alabama - I had THIRTY-TWO machines of that variety including but not limited to....

A Turbo XT
2 vintage Compaq Deskpros (I may still have the 286 in the shed)
three Compaq 486 EISA systems with SCSI
A IBM PC-330 100DX4 T/C: 6571-W5K all tricked out with 256K L2 Cache and dual-boot DOS 6.22/Win98SE via the BIOS drive-swap feature
Ibm PS/2 MOdel 30 286
IBM PS/2 Model 70 386 in a Model 50Z case
3 different Packard Bell 486 boxes
a bunch of white box full tower 486's missing their back covers (found em' that way)
a few Kingspao Model 35 Baby AT 386-Pentium systems, I think my Mom still has the one I built her in 2004...maybe there's a rescue...
Zenith Data Systems SuperSport 286
An original AST PEntium 60 motherboard shoehorned into a Dell 325SX case with a PC's Limited VGA monochrome VGA Display
4 Data Experts Tower Pentium boxes
A fried Gateway PIII
A PowerMac 6100/60, 7100/80, and 5200/LC
Texas Instruments TI-99/4a

And that's just some of what was taking up space in the shed......maybe someday I'll find the old photos I had. It was insane. Hardcore Vintage DOS Gaming to the MAXX.

Some of that stuff I don''t miss at all, but a lot of it I still do, not sure how much is still hanging around at mom's but when we come to visit some odd time, I plan to do some "recovery" of the stuff I'm interested in if it's still around (whatever was not in the shed probably is). Stlll, my biggest mistake was selling a lot of those cases and parts that were unused and not useful to me at the time (and would not fit in my SUV). Kind of a big mistake now how many times I've said "I Wish I had a AT Case/POwer Supply/RAM/Chips/_____ Card/" and then had to resort to digging around places mostly full of P4's and newer systems I have no interest in whatsoever.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 73 of 106, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:
I fell your pain..... […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I fell your pain.....

Sort of a multi-quote here but I learned the lesson of NOT hoarding the stuff you love the hard way....though I may still have some back home hidden in a few corners.

One of my biggest screw ups was purging all that XT-early-Pentium era stuff I had back in the early-mid 2000's when I moved to Washington State. I swear, if I sold that stuff now, I'd be raking in a pretty nice chunk of change, and if I kept that stuff I'd not be bumming around forums and hatching plots to get my hands on vintage cases by selling other things off to balance out the cost. At my peak of my retro-geekery in Alabama - I had THIRTY-TWO machines of that variety including but not limited to....

A Turbo XT
2 vintage Compaq Deskpros (I may still have the 286 in the shed)
three Compaq 486 EISA systems with SCSI
A IBM PC-330 100DX4 T/C: 6571-W5K all tricked out with 256K L2 Cache and dual-boot DOS 6.22/Win98SE via the BIOS drive-swap feature
Ibm PS/2 MOdel 30 286
IBM PS/2 Model 70 386 in a Model 50Z case
3 different Packard Bell 486 boxes
a bunch of white box full tower 486's missing their back covers (found em' that way)
a few Kingspao Model 35 Baby AT 386-Pentium systems, I think my Mom still has the one I built her in 2004...maybe there's a rescue...
Zenith Data Systems SuperSport 286
An original AST PEntium 60 motherboard shoehorned into a Dell 325SX case with a PC's Limited VGA monochrome VGA Display
4 Data Experts Tower Pentium boxes
A fried Gateway PIII
A PowerMac 6100/60, 7100/80, and 5200/LC
Texas Instruments TI-99/4a

And that's just some of what was taking up space in the shed......maybe someday I'll find the old photos I had. It was insane. Hardcore Vintage DOS Gaming to the MAXX.

Some of that stuff I don''t miss at all, but a lot of it I still do, not sure how much is still hanging around at mom's but when we come to visit some odd time, I plan to do some "recovery" of the stuff I'm interested in if it's still around (whatever was not in the shed probably is). Stlll, my biggest mistake was selling a lot of those cases and parts that were unused and not useful to me at the time (and would not fit in my SUV). Kind of a big mistake now how many times I've said "I Wish I had a AT Case/POwer Supply/RAM/Chips/_____ Card/" and then had to resort to digging around places mostly full of P4's and newer systems I have no interest in whatsoever.

Man. That friggin blows. I hope you can get back on your retro collecting feet.

Reply 74 of 106, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I washed an IBASE MB800H (Socket 478 Pentium 4 motherboard with 3 ISA slots) to get rid of dusty smell. Guess what? It never turned on again, and tech people couldn't revive it.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 76 of 106, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Recently I washed an IBASE MB800H (Socket 478 Pentium 4 motherboard with 3 ISA slots) to get rid of dusty smell. Guess what? It never turned on again, and tech people couldn't revive it.

Don't use water, use IPA. If you seriously need to clean a board, 99% Isopropynol is the way to go. It evaporates, and to go against what most people say, any residue is minimal, and the case is true the higher you go as practically no water is left behind.

Use a paper towel or something and just start wiping it down, but my question is, why are you sniffing your motherboards?

Reply 78 of 106, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

my question is, why are you sniffing your motherboards?

I'm not sniffing them. Chassis and CPU coolers blow the smell out of the chassis and into the room. That's common problem with many of the retro PCs I have or had. Usually I can get rid of this by thoroughly washing the motherboard, but I remember one case when even after washing the smell remained.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 79 of 106, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My worst screw-up was using the PC Chips M919 v3.4 for the Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison. That damn board implements an automatic 2/3 multiplier onto the PCI bus for FSB's greater than or equal to 40 MHz. Found that out later. It is something I will go back and correct later using a MB-8433 motherboard.

Last edited by feipoa on 2016-12-30, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.