Common searches

Why doesn't this exist?

Topic actions

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I got to thinking of gadget that should exist that doesn't at all to my knowledge.

You know how the older via chipsets had problems with drives over sata150, yea at lot of the western digital drives have jumpers or you could use a worn down sata1 drive, but it would be really cool if there was a little chip that plugs into the drive and then the sata connector to make it sata1 compliant so any drive can be used like SSD's and it would basically look like those sata to ide converters.

Anyone else got idea on what computer related items that should exist that could be convenient for you?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 32, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Anyone else got idea on what computer related items that should exist that could be convenient for you?

System Boards that plug in to PCI Express and contain a complete 486/Pentium class machine with BIOS/RAM etc, that can be run through a software portal on the host system.
It's basically DOSBox but better 😎 (not sure how to handle things like a soundcard tho, maybe slap some chips on there too, like OPL, etc)
🤣

Reply 4 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea that SATA issue with VIA is a real pain 🤣

My dream gadget is a CD/DVD drive emulator, like a GOTEK.

Connect to IDE, takes a 2.5" SATA drive, little LCD display at the front displaying the ISO / BIN-CUE image and some buttons to cycle through the images.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You know how the older via chipsets had problems with drives over sata150, yea at lot of the western digital drives have jumpers or you could use a worn down sata1 drive, but it would be really cool if there was a little chip that plugs into the drive and then the sata connector to make it sata1 compliant so any drive can be used like SSD's

If I recall correctly (I use them for long term backup), my 3 year old Nexstar 3.5-inch E-SATA/USB 2.0 enclosures actually force a SATA 1 (150) link even when used on with aSATA 2 or 3 capable host and controller.

Apparently, according to reviews, this StarTech enclosure has the same "issue" :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-2-5in-Black … e/dp/B002NY9K1Q

E-SATA to SATA capables being cheap and plentiful (I have used some successfully on a few occasions, but never tried one on any Via SATA controller), it would be worth trying one of these enclosures on an affected via controller .

My guess as to why this happens is that a SATA to SATA bridge is used internally when in E-SATA mode is used and that this bridge is limited SATA 1 .

Another thing to try would be to cascade a SATA to IDE (ATA) converter and an IDE (ATA) to SATA converter between the drive and controller, since such converters are, AFAIK, limited to SATA 1 anyway .

Reply 6 of 32, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Connect to IDE, takes a 2.5" SATA drive, little LCD display at the front displaying the ISO / BIN-CUE image and some buttons to cycle through the images.

That would be cool for a start-up disk like 98, 2000, xp or linux, but for anything else you would just use software to emulate a virtual drive.

Reply 7 of 32, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

That would be cool for a start-up disk like 98, 2000, xp or linux, but for anything else you would just use software to emulate a virtual drive.

It does have advantages like being able to use a large drive to store a bunch more images on machines that can't accommodate modern large disks, and it also works under DOS, OS/2, SCO Unix and other such systems that don't explicitly support mounting of ISO images or have 3rd party software available to do that. It could, in theory, also do various sorts of format translations to let older OSes work with DVD/BluRay data images, translate newer ISO9660 variants into older ones, etc, depending on what the firmware is coded to do. You could also have a multi-interface CD emulator: ATA, SCSI, Wide SCSI, USB, Firewire, as desired.

Also, it means you don't have to manually fart around with mounting images every time you want to play a game that insists on having the CD inserted.

I'd pay decent money for such a device, to be sure.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 8 of 32, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^True, I forgot about DOS.

Reply 9 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think the best you're going to get right now for a system that doesn't support USB boot would be Plop boot manager with the Zalman ZM-VE external enclosure.

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/rom.html
https://www.plop.at/en/plopkexec/full.html
http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=212

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 32, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neco wrote:
System Boards that plug in to PCI Express and contain a complete 486/Pentium class machine with BIOS/RAM etc, that can be run […]
Show full quote
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

System Boards that plug in to PCI Express and contain a complete 486/Pentium class machine with BIOS/RAM etc, that can be run through a software portal on the host system.
It's basically DOSBox but better 😎 (not sure how to handle things like a soundcard tho, maybe slap some chips on there too, like OPL, etc)
🤣

There did used to be old Macs that you could buy an expansion card which had basically a full 486 system on the card but it could share memory with the host system and run off HD images on the local drive. It was really cool but with emulation where it's at most companies aren't going to see any profit in doing anything similar today.

Reply 11 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A 486 ATX board with AGP slot that's electronically a PCI slot.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

This is actually a fantastic idea! 😁

Would also be helpful for stuff like testing msbatch-ed and NLited install media on real hardware!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 32, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rhuwyn wrote:
Neco wrote:
System Boards that plug in to PCI Express and contain a complete 486/Pentium class machine with BIOS/RAM etc, that can be run […]
Show full quote
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

🤣

There did used to be old Macs that you could buy an expansion card which had basically a full 486 system on the card but it could share memory with the host system and run off HD images on the local drive. It was really cool but with emulation where it's at most companies aren't going to see any profit in doing anything similar today.

There was even one called SunPCi for Sun workstations. The latest version had an Athlon CPU and I think the same ATI graphics chip that Sun was putting on their workstations at the time (Radeon 7500, IIRC).

The advantage such a thing would have over emulation is basically being bug-for-bug compatible with the real hardware, but I doubt there'd be a lot of commercial interest in that unless non-AMD64 workstations were to suddenly come back into vogue. ARMs, I suppose, might create such a niche: emulating x86/AMD64 on an ARM is not exactly a zoomy experience, so one might be better off with a real-deal Atom or notebook Core chip on a card.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 13 of 32, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

That would certainly be a space saver big time, swapping disks bleh 😵

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
havli wrote:

NAS and some kind of a virtual CD/DVD drive works just fine... no need for such thing. 😊

That works great for Windows 98, but not so much in DOS.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 32, by M-HT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Plus an analog audio out for audio tracks.

Reply 17 of 32, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

A modern PCIe motherboard with ISA slots and Windows 9x support.

A modern video card (Radeon, GeForce, whatever) which provides full 3dfx backward compatibility. Ie you can boot in pure DOS, then run DOS GLide games on it, and the games would recognize the card as Voodoo1 card --only faster and you can maximize FSAA with it (special environment variables, whatever).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 18 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

We have a thread about this somewhere.

Enclosures with this feature already somewhat exist and work alright in Windows.
http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=212

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

There's a thread like this somewhere too, perhaps in Marvin, so if it gets found don't get offended if this gets merged later. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto