VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a bit more about the VOGONS server:

It's a Cobalt RaQ4i running an extremely bastardised version of RedHat Linux 6.2 made by Sun that is riddled with security holes, incompatibilities, and other neat stuff like that. Upgrading Perl requires a really nasty kluge, and almost everything else CAN'T be upgraded without a special Cobalt "PKG" file. The default HTTPD.CONF file allows for 4000000 child processes, despite the fact that the kernel leaks memory like a sieve.

On the hardware side, we have a whopping 256MB of SDRAM (an amazing 2-10MB is actually FREE at any given time) and an INCREDIBLY speedy 450MHz AMD K6-2 processor.

IT'S FABULOUS! </sarcasm>

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 2, by Maetryx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am a long time user of old DOS games, but only recently discovered VDMSound and the VOGONS website. So what specifications are you looking toward for your new server? What OS?

Have you received a lot of response to the donations link?😕

-->Mountains of regret crashing into me<--

Reply 2 of 2, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want a vanilla RedHat 7.2 or 7.3 server on a P3 or AMD Duron or AMD Athlon running at 1GHz or higher and at least 512MB of DDR SDRAM. One may be coming soon, although the specs will be slightly different, with a 1.7GHz Celeron processor (and not the kind that doesn't have any cache, either). Donations have been, err, "modest" to say the least. But that's okay. I just wish that I could get a bit more gathered up so I can start paying out to my loyal staffers. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.