Acorn 3000.jpg
Filename
Acorn 3000.jpg
File size
69.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ran one of the more interesting OSs in ROM http://www.houseofmabel.com/puters/RISCOS3/

plain.gif
Filename
plain.gif
File size
14.63 KiB
Views
File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 21 of 48, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:

From scratch! It's either going to be wood (think Atari 2600) or clear acrylic glass, painted white. Still not sure what I'm going for.

Modern mainboard is not retro enough. I have a µATX Slot 1 board here with integrated Rage Pro graphics and Yamaha sound, that should be compatible enough with DOS and able to run early Windows (maybe even 3D) games. Still need to test the board out, and if it works for this purpose, hunt for the rest of the parts. Smaller ATX power supply, for example. Also, budget is next to nothing 🤣

Goal is to build something that could've existed in the 90s, the spiritual successor to Atari ST and Amiga.

Seems like there is a contemporary keyboard computer out there - http://www.cybernetman.com/en/all-in-one-pc/keyboard-pc/ - not sure if this is vaporware?

Also, I remember there being an all-in-one keyboard PC compatible computer in the 90s, can't recall the name of it for the life of me though ...

Reply 23 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:
oerk wrote:

From scratch! It's either going to be wood (think Atari 2600) or clear acrylic glass, painted white. Still not sure what I'm going for.

Modern mainboard is not retro enough. I have a µATX Slot 1 board here with integrated Rage Pro graphics and Yamaha sound, that should be compatible enough with DOS and able to run early Windows (maybe even 3D) games. Still need to test the board out, and if it works for this purpose, hunt for the rest of the parts. Smaller ATX power supply, for example. Also, budget is next to nothing 🤣

Goal is to build something that could've existed in the 90s, the spiritual successor to Atari ST and Amiga.

Seems like there is a contemporary keyboard computer out there - http://www.cybernetman.com/en/all-in-one-pc/keyboard-pc/ - not sure if this is vaporware?

Also, I remember there being an all-in-one keyboard PC compatible computer in the 90s, can't recall the name of it for the life of me though ...

Nope that actually exists, I just ordered an older version of that with a Core 2 Duo off of ebay. 🤣

18s3pv2gdsudjjpg.jpg

Personally I would love to get my hands on the even older Pentium 4 / Pentium 3 model since it's much better looking. It would make a great XP computer or Windows 98SE machine!

DSC04389.JPG?auc=943984&docid=7630538

Last edited by King_Corduroy on 2015-10-01, 01:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 24 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sammy wrote:

There was a new PC in a C64 case a few years ago.

I think it runs windows (or Linux?) and an C64 Emulator.

Google for C64x Extreme

Yeah that is now completely dead, it shipped with Ubuntu at first and then later Commodore OS Vision (which was a derivative of Linux Mint). It was way too expensive (300$ for just the empty case).

Reply 27 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Tandy 1000 HX/EX

Oh yeah The HX or EX are quite cool too, I completely forgot to say that before.

Here's a pic for all the people who don't know what they look like that might stumble onto this thread!

tandy_1000ex_1.jpg

This one is the HX, Note the space for a 3.5" HDD next to the newer 3.5" diskette. This machine has no 5.25" drive or bays.

t1000hx.jpg

Reply 28 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found out this is exists: Olivetti PC 1. Apparently it was a competitor to the Amstrad computers of the time and marketed at home users so it could be plugged into a tv. It does not contain expansion slots with out the external expansion box.

pc1-2big.jpg

More info:
http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/prodestpc1.html

Apparently it's DOS / PC compatible.

Reply 30 of 48, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always liked the look / form factor of these. About halfway between a laptop & a luggable. It's a shame they never made a 386/486 version:
hqdefault.jpg
CIauUYOUEAAins2.jpg
(Amstrad PPC640)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 32 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
I always liked the look / form factor of these. About halfway between a laptop & a luggable. It's a shame they never made a 386/ […]
Show full quote

I always liked the look / form factor of these. About halfway between a laptop & a luggable. It's a shame they never made a 386/486 version:
hqdefault.jpg
CIauUYOUEAAins2.jpg
(Amstrad PPC640)

Lol I actually own one of these in it's carry bag with the manuals and everything!

Reply 33 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jonas-fr wrote:
My currently restoring 486 computer ^^ […]
Show full quote

My currently restoring 486 computer ^^

oQdm1u2.jpg

Oh you lucky duck! I've been wanting one of those for a while!!! That's so cool. 😁

Reply 34 of 48, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost all 8 bit "home" computers had those shape, and some branded 16 bit computer also had it. I suppose that type of design "died" with 80286 (there were rarer). Schneider Euro PC, Amstrad PC20/Sinclair PC200 and Olivetti PC1 comes to mind.

The Olivetti PC1 had an ancestor (Olivetti PC128) with similar design but based on 6809. The Euro PC claimed to use up to 768 Kb of RAM (RAM drive? conventional memory?) a rare configuration for that time.

Asus also launched one of those computer, the Asus EEE Keyboard, but it was hardly expandable (and that SSD soldered means that it will have a limited lifespan).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 35 of 48, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote:

The Euro PC claimed to use up to 768 Kb of RAM (RAM drive? conventional memory?) a rare configuration for that time.

To be precise, the EuroPC only had 512KB (not expandable). The EuroPCII and the EuroXT though could go up to 768KB.
The possible configurations through the BIOS in that case were 512KB conventional + 256KB EMS or 640KB conventional + 128KB EMS.

Reply 36 of 48, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dragon 32/64

aa-dragon.png
Filename
aa-dragon.png
File size
456.73 KiB
Views
File license
d64.jpg
Filename
d64.jpg
File size
39.93 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 37 of 48, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't fit expansion cards into this form factor. The Sinclair machine at top had ISA expansion slots but any cards you plugged in projected out of the top of the machine, which was dangerous as well as ugly.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 38 of 48, by Jonas-fr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
I always liked the look / form factor of these. About halfway between a laptop & a luggable. It's a shame they never made a 386/ […]
Show full quote

hqdefault.jpg

It looks kinda like a bulky IBM Transnote (my favorite Thinkpad)

Transnote-024.jpg

Reply 39 of 48, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Epson PC-Club (Intel 286 NEC PC-98-compatible)
- various Japanese all-in-one "office assistants" (wedge shaped DOS-compatibles with integrated monitor and matrix printer)