VOGONS

Blood

Topic actions

First post, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the game "Blood" v1.0 and have it installed on another partition from Windows called D:\ I have installed DOSBox OK and is sucessfully running. I can access the "Blood" directory on the D:\ partition from within DOSBox but after the "Blood" does the main scrolling up of info about loading it's tiles and other things I am then asked to centre the gamepad button, then d-pad up to upper corner and press a button etc and then the screen goes blank and the cdrom drawer spits out so I press the cdrom eject button to close the drawer and again it spits the drawer out again? Any ideas?

Also, do you know if DOSBox will run "Blood"'s expansion pack "Cryptic Passage"? I bought "Cryptic Passage" a few years ago and never been able to play it as I get the message "Runtime error 200 at 04CE:0091" when I try to install it. It's been claimed that my computer is too fast to run "CP" hence the error message. Yet "CP" requires only the same specs as "Blood" and "Blood" runs OK?

Intel Pentium 3 800Mhz
Windows 98SE
GeForce2 GTS V770 32Mb
512Mb RAM
SoundBlaster 1024 LIVE value player

Reply 1 of 32, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, do you know if DOSBox will run "Blood"'s expansion pack "Cryptic Passage"?

Yes it does (at least the ver that comes with ONE UNIT WHOLE BLOOD)

I bought "Cryptic Passage" a few years ago and never been able to play it as I get the message "Runtime error 200 at 04CE:0091" when I try to install it.

The installer has probably been written with TP 7.0. The runtime library contains a bug which causes a division by zero on fast machines. Anyways running the installer with DOSBox should work.

Just a note: Your PC doesn't appear to be suitable to run BLOOD with DOSBox. It will probably run quite slow even with sound turned off.

Reply 2 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DoomEad wrote:
I have the game "Blood" v1.0 and have it installed on another partition from Windows called D:\ I have installed DOSBox OK and i […]
Show full quote

I have the game "Blood" v1.0 and have it installed on another partition from Windows called D:\ I have installed DOSBox OK and is sucessfully running. I can access the "Blood" directory on the D:\ partition from within DOSBox but after the "Blood" does the main scrolling up of info about loading it's tiles and other things I am then asked to centre the gamepad button, then d-pad up to upper corner and press a button etc and then the screen goes blank and the cdrom drawer spits out so I press the cdrom eject button to close the drawer and again it spits the drawer out again? Any ideas?

Also, do you know if DOSBox will run "Blood"'s expansion pack "Cryptic Passage"? I bought "Cryptic Passage" a few years ago and never been able to play it as I get the message "Runtime error 200 at 04CE:0091" when I try to install it. It's been claimed that my computer is too fast to run "CP" hence the error message. Yet "CP" requires only the same specs as "Blood" and "Blood" runs OK?

Intel Pentium 3 800Mhz
Windows 98SE
GeForce2 GTS V770 32Mb
512Mb RAM
SoundBlaster 1024 LIVE value player

Reply 3 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How have you managed to get Cryptic Passage to run? How do I solve the
Runtime error? In the readme of CP it says to copy some files from the disc if the installer fails. I've done this before with no sucess so how have you got it running?

Reply 4 of 32, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I said run the installer within DOSBox. Mount the dir with the installation exe in dosbox using the mount command and run it. You may also want to increase the cycles (CTRL-F12) to speed up the installation process.

Reply 5 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But I've tried what you say to install "CP". Yes, I do mount my cdrom, which is i:\ because of the number of drives I have, and then run the install command from the "CP" cdrom and I get the runtime error message. Hope I'm doing the mount command right though, correct me if I'm wrong

mount i i:\

-t cdrom

i:\install

then I get the runtime error message

So good of you to have patience with me cheers

Reply 8 of 32, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm really odd since everything you've done seems to be correct.
I assume you typed

mount i i:\

-t cdrom

like this
mount i i:\ -t cdrom
in DOSBox otherwise you certainly got an error like ILLEGAL COMMAND: -t.
If you didn't you should try it this way again.
May you attach the installer exe here so I can personally check it?

Reply 9 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi hope this helps.

Attachments

• Filename
    Install.exe
    File size
    31.17 KiB
    Downloads
    249 downloads
    File comment
    OK here's the install.exe, how you are going to check it I don't know. You may get the same error I've had, all being well, then you may be able to see for yourself.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Install.exe
    File size
    31.17 KiB
    Downloads
    253 downloads
    File license

Reply 10 of 32, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm for me everything seems to work fine when I run it within DOSBox. It seems you try to run it without DOSBox. If I do so I also get the RTE 200.

You have to download DB and then run dosbox.exe and there you type the mount command to mount the directory containing the CP installation exe.

Attachments

• DOSBox_CP_Install.JPG
    Filename
    DOSBox_CP_Install.JPG
    File size
    86.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • NTVDM_CP_Install.JPG
    Filename
    NTVDM_CP_Install.JPG
    File size
    20.65 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 32, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is exactly what I mentioned in my first post in this thread.
I have certain programs/games that also produce RTE 200 on my PC (Halloween Harry, Duke3D installation program) but I never have this error when I run things in DOSBox. That's why I'm a bit confused why he gets this error...

Reply 14 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@ASM: Doesn't sound like the person knows what they're doing, at all...
@DoomEad: Dude, did you actually download DOSBox from the Web site? It doesn't replace "command.com". Also your syntax for mounting drives is completely wrong, you don't seem to grasp the concept of virtual drives, and you did not attempt to mount any hard drive within DOSBox.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have got the hang of DOSBox and the mounting of drives etc. And yes I did download it from the website.
Anyway, have got further with the installation of Cryptic Passage. I get to the progress bar after telling the install program where the original "Blood" directory is and when I press enter to continue I get anothe RTE "RunTime Error 003 at 0000:0BDF" any ideas. Have trawled the web with no success. And in answer to your query, DOSBox runs fine on my machine it's installed OK and I've a P3 800Mhz.

Reply 17 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But the CP installation asks you to name a directory to put GAMER into, to which I answer D:\GAMER and then asks where "Blood" is installed and I answer D:\BLOOD and both are verified by the installation as being correct????? So why the RTE 003at 0000:0BDF ?

Reply 19 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have created a folder using "windows explorer" on my D:\ drive called D:\GAMER which is accepted by CP installation. If I try the example directory asked by the installation where it says "for example C:\GAMER" it doesn't accept it? But it does accept the D:\GAMER?. Furthermore the installation says it will not install CP unless "Blood" is version 1.02. My retail version is v1.0 but I updated it to version 1.02 using the official download from the www.blood.lith.com site. So I cant understand why it refuses to install and if you are correct with the RTE 003 being a fault with the path name where am I going wrong. Is it possible you can go through the installation of your own copy of CP to see where I could be failing. And I presume when you ask to create the directory manually I have done as you suggest by creating the directory with windows explorer.