VOGONS

Error = CD must be in drive [Constructor]

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by step2ice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've done some research in the forum and found similar threads without a solution for me.

I use the D-fend frontend with DOSbox 0.63 and win2k

I have a image of my constructor CD and mounted it with the frontend as CD-ROM with drive letter D.

I also copied all content in an folder on my harddisk. I don't was able to install the game though. When I try that it says win95 is needed.

But as I understod the basics of dosbox it should be enough to copy the content on harddrive (without install) and mount the CD or image as a CD-ROM.

When I run dosbox now it starts the game but stops with this CD Error thing.

I mounted the stuff in D-Fend like that:

Mount type:
CD-Rom

Select Drive/CD-ROM/Image etc.
D:\_images\pc\const

Mounted drive letter
D:

dbc.jpg

So maybe I'm done something wrong all help is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@step2ice, can you post the last part (the part that sayd autoexec with the mount commands) of the game-specific configuration file that D-fend made for you? I am not sure what it is called or where it is located. Best guess is somewhere in the D-fend installation directory.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

... and the mount command for the CD is wrong too. Since you have an ISO-image of the Constructor CD (and not a real CD), you need to use the imgmount command (but I am not sure if D-fend understand imgmount?)

Reply 7 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It is not going to help, but you should also loose the -ioctl on the mount C commmand.

Reply 8 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Could it be a problem with the CD label? I noted that there is no -label option for imgmount. Perhaps you need to burn the ISO image to a real CD, and then use mount D CD-letter:\ -t cdrom -label CONSTRUCTR1 -ioctl ??

Reply 10 of 29, by step2ice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mount D CD-letter:\ -t cdrom -label CONSTRUCTR1 -ioctl ??

Hmm... I thought D-Fend would use this parameters cause I also tried it with selecting the CD-Rom mount option but give the image path to it so that way a CD-Rom is simulated. I even tried to mount the image in Daemon tools and give the path to D-Fend as CD-Rom... man I'm confused.
Anyway I will try that code line above as soon as I'm at my comp at home.

Reply 11 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

don't run the above line. First thing, rename your Constructor iso to a smaller name, for example const.iso.
Then do:
"imgmount d f:\games\_DOS_Gam\constructor\const.iso -t iso -label CONSTRUCTR1" (without the quotes)
I assumed the above path is the path to the iso, I might be wrong though and you have to adapt this.
You also need a valid emulated c: drive of course so I'd also say mount the constructor folder as c: drive as well (as you have done before jusging from your screenshot).

Reply 12 of 29, by step2ice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried your command line, still I have the same Error.
I also tried it again with the real CD and my CD-ROM.
I recorgnized that DOSBOX access the CD shortly before the NO CD in drive Error occurs.
Since I tried all possible mounts and code commands, I think it's a hardware problem or related to DOSBOX.
Maybe DOSBOX has a problem with my hardware I don't know.

first try with image

mount C "F:\games\_DOS_GAM\Constructor" -ioctl
IMGMOUNT D "D:\_images\pc\const\CONST.iso" -t iso -label CONSTRUCTR1
C:
cd\
cd \
GAME.EXE

with CD

mount C "F:\games\_DOS_GAM\Constructor" -ioctl
mount F "I:\" -t cdrom -ioctl
C:
cd\
cd \
GAME.EXE

Reply 13 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

try with:

mount C F:\games\_DOS_GAM\Constructor
IMGMOUNT D D:\_images\pc\const\CONST.iso -t iso -label CONSTRUCTR1
d:
GAME.EXE

or with CD

mount C F:\games\_DOS_GAM\Constructor
mount F I:\ -t cdrom
d:
GAME.EXE

Things I now noticed:
- you most likely don't need the quotes (that's why I left them out)
- you are always trying to start from the emulated C:\ drive which is only the contents of F:\games\_DOS_GAM\Constructor and not the CD-Rom.
- "cd\" or "cd \" is not a really helpful command when you are already in the main root.
- Are you sure you need to run Game.exe? And not an installer on the CD like install.exe or setup.exe?

Reply 14 of 29, by step2ice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

- Are you sure you need to run Game.exe? And not an installer on the CD like install.exe or setup.exe?

Of course I'm not sure. The only two commands I know from DOS are DIR and cd.. 😢

Anyway, I tried something you mentioned.

I started the install.exe from CD and installed the game via DOSBOX.
Since the full installation won't work (diskspace requiered - I have 2 gigs free :p) the common install worked.

Then I linked the game.exe from the install folder. -> CD must be in drive ERROR

next the game.exe from the CD-ROM -> CD must be in drive ERROR

Then I found a UVCONFIG.EXE wich looked for the SVGA support or something. After everything was found and I typed cd.. and then game.exe

-> CD must be in drive ERROR

Also copied your IMGMOUNT D D:\_images\pc\const\CONST.iso -t iso -label CONSTRUCTR1 line and tried it with the image again.

-> CD must be in drive ERROR

So the paths are correct... dunno what I can do more.

PS. There is only a setup.exe for win95 on the CD. for DOS theres only a install.exe

Anyone here who actually runs this bloody Constructor under DOSBOX?

Reply 15 of 29, by step2ice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, little update maybe also interesting for guys who are stuck like me.

I wasn't able to get my CD ROM to work instead I added the command -freesize 900 after my mounted C:\ drive.

Therefore I was able to install the game completely without the need for the CD anymore.

But I have a new problem now after loading a couple of seconds this error pops up in the dos window -> ERROR = Problem reading SETSND.CFG

so I'm stuck again.

Any advice?

Reply 17 of 29, by step2ice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem was that I haven't exuted the setsnd.bat in dosbox but in a seperate window. Now it works.

Still I have to tweak around with cpu cycles to keep the game from crashing when building houses. Also the performance is pretty below average. I alreday tried many configurations but the game plays choppy.
Funny though back in the days I played this one on a 266 MHZ cpu. Now I have 2.4 GHz and it's performing worse the Doom³. 😁

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Reply 19 of 29, by step2ice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you using the dynamic core? It might make the crashing worse, but may also buy you some speed.

Yup I'm using that one.
Also the video overlay mode and no scale. this gives me the best performance but it's still choppy. Especially later on in the game when lot's of stuff is going on.
I use the cpu cycles increase and decrease ingame as well but when I do that the game gets more choppy although it won't lock up by building certain houses.
ALso dicovered a bug where the game locks up when you attack a enemy gang with your own. Already comment that on the DOSBOX page.