VOGONS

First post, by riku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have this PVI-486SP3. my aim is to put it working to get someone trade with or sell.
i have read those mobos is very good.

Problem is there is no bios chip on the board.
So im kindly ask someone please to lead me a direction where i can find bios dump from that chip, if i replace with a new one and put it on prommer i might get it work. but cannot find anywhere bios dumps, they all flash via dos, now i need flash direcly to chip.

i found a picture where is the chip exposed and type is SST29EE010 http://www.amoretro.de/ebay/2014/01/486sp3.jpg
Those chips can be ordered from ebay.

Also have other motherboard where is same thing type is hippo dca2 the bios chip type is unknown, if someone please have one can take a pic of it? Can a SST29EE010 be used here aswell?

Thanks. if someone has any tips what will help would be nice, or if someone has prommed those if that is possible even

Reply 1 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a link to where the BIOS files are stored for the PVI-486SP3, but you can Google this motherboard as well.
The BIOS files are scattered all over (including here on Vogons in older posts):
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock5/486sp3/

Just take note of your motherboard's revision and chipset, since the earlier models' could not be upgraded (flashed) to the latest versions.
I would recommend revision 0306.

I suggest you obtain an EEPROM chip and burn a new BIOS (or get someone to do it for you).
The Winbond chips are quite common, but there are others available. Check out this thread for more tips: EPROM burner and "blank" BIOS chips

Also, the PVI-486SP3 only supports FPM RAM.

Last edited by jesolo on 2017-01-28, 22:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by riku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info, but already tried this url:
# ping ftp.asus.com
ping: unknown host ftp.asus.com

I did found asus bios files but they are .idx files, not BIN files

what about the other motherboard, the hippo, any info?

Reply 3 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Octek/4 … DCA2/index.html

Most 486 motherboards used 28-pin BIOS chips. A 27C512 EEPROM should do the trick, but confirm first by checking the size of the BIOS file that is online.

Reply 5 of 8, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The latest bios for that Asus board needs 128k x 8 Rom chip like 29EE010
The DCA2 bios needs 64k x 8 chip (27c512 for example)

If you are ever willing to sell that DCA2 board... Contact me!

Reply 6 of 8, by riku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BastlerMike Thanks for that info, it HELPED alot 😀
it confirmed now what roms needed. now i need the bios. easiest part will be 27c512 because that can be prommed easly!
So if someone willing to dump bios or know where i can get bin files would be nice 😀

if i get dca board to work i can trade np, im actually try fix em to have merchant to trade 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I flashed and tested both these Asus PVI-486SP3 BIOS files using a Winbond W29EE011 chip yesterday.

They are normal BIOS bin files even if they are named .awd and .h

Filename
si4i0306.zip
File size
76.75 KiB
Downloads
149 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
SI4I0307.zip
File size
76.86 KiB
Downloads
180 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.