VOGONS

more Pool of Radiance...

Topic actions

First post, by Runenklinge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PoR in DosBox 0.61:
When creating characters,before you roll for ability scores and choose a portrait,the game asks me to 'insert disk 3 in drive c:'.I figured this would be the save disk so I created one via the menu (it's the Collector's Edition),but that doesn't help.Also,why does it ask me to insert the disk into drive C?

Reply 1 of 39, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Edit POOL.CFG. The file is normally updated by CONF utility, but I think that it updates only save path (and not the path where the game is). Here is the sample content of POOL.CFg from my computer (the game is in c:\por, saves in c:\por\save) :

E
P
c:\por\
c:\por\save\
F

Mirek

Reply 2 of 39, by Runenklinge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks!!
I had the game in C:\wizworks\poolrad which was the default installation folder of the Collector's Edition version.The cfg seems to have been ok though:

E
P
c:\wizworks\
c:\wizworks\poolrad\save\
F

I moved the files to C:\PoR and used your config,now it works...

Reply 3 of 39, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think your config would have worked also if you had the first path c:\wizworks\poolrad\ (and of course this path would have to be accessible in DOSBOX - people sometimes make mistakes in confusing paths inside and outside of DOSBOX, which are different, unless the root directory is mounted).
Well, I am glad I could help.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 39, by Runenklinge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nope,I had mounted the entire c: harddrive,not just the game directory.And I did have the config I posted...yes it should have been working but it didn't...which makes me wonder,so I posted it here for everyone who uses this default directory and can't get his game to work.

Reply 5 of 39, by XPuntar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem. I have tried both versions, floppy and collectors cd with corrected cfg file. No go. Always that: Insert disk 3 in drive C 😠 And for some odd reason sometimes (collector CD) even correct codewheels don't work 😳

Reply 6 of 39, by XPuntar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Floppy version works fine after you edit your POOL.CFG file.

Has anybody figured something about insert disk 3 in drive C for Collector CD edition? I have tried if attribut read only is causing the trouble but no go. Maybe game wants a CD in drive? Even installed one? 😠 Has anybody tried to emulate a cd drive to solve this problem?

And about codes not working. As it seems, cracked exe won't accept the cracked code and also the correct ones won't work. Solution is, to rename the ST.OLD (original exe) to ST.EXE. And have a codewheel nearby.

Reply 7 of 39, by Kristander

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case anyone new runs into this old problem like I did, here is my fix. I looked through these forums and the answer is hidden/obscure. Note I am running the Linux version of dosbox and using the Gold CDROM.

My default POOL.CFG file was:
E
P
C:\WIZWORX\POOLRAD
\WIZWORX\POOLRAD\SAVE
F

Notice that
1) The directory names do not end with (back?) slashes.
2) The second path which is the save path does not begin with a drive letter.

The fix was to add (back?) slashes to the end of the path names and to put the drive letter in front of the second path.

This gives me:
E
P
C:\WIZWORKS\POOLRAD\
C:\WIZWORKS\POOLRAD\SAVE\
F

Reply 8 of 39, by Pr0d1gy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, here we go again. I guess my main issue is how do I implement the solution? I understand changing the path, but I have no idea how to make that happen. I am on Windows XP and don't know if I need some kind of program to alter the path or if it can be done in Windows or DOSbox somehow.

Reply 9 of 39, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Open POOL.CFG with notepad.

Use:
E
P
C:\WIZWORKS\POOLRAD\
C:\WIZWORKS\POOLRAD\SAVE\
F

Assuming that your game is in C:\WIZWORKS\POOLRAD. This assumes that you have a directory on your host with a bunch of games in it and you mount that directory. So "mount c c:\oldgames"

Then when you go to the C: drive in dosbox you'll see \WIZWORKS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 39, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well,I´m no guru,actually I know nothing of computers.But I got put the game runing (and saving).I have it instaled,not in the same directory with the other dosgames,but directly in the root directory - C: .
Best regards,

just younger than computers

Reply 13 of 39, by Pr0d1gy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made a folder for it in the C: drive so i should have the same setup as you. Which version of DOSbox are you using? XP Home or Pro? Which Service Pack? I really want to play this series so thanks for the help guys.

Reply 16 of 39, by Celes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just joined the forum today, and so far, 2 for 2, my questions have been answered in previous threads before I even had to ask. Pat yourselves all on the back!

- Celes -
http://www.theseize.com
http://www.ccceramics.com

Reply 17 of 39, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pool of Radiance dos version has a built-in backdoor to bypass the codewheel check. You add "<space>STING" after the st.exe in order to activate it. So you can change your start.bat to look like this to bypass the codewheel check.

conf
if errorlevel 1 goto :End
st STING
:End
cls

Obviously if you just run st.exe to run the game then just change that to.

st STING

Curse of the Azure Bonds also has a bypass, it's start.exe STING Wooden (that's start.exe(space)STING(space)Wooden capitalized exactly that way.

Also if you are using the Collectors edition of the game, it's very buggy on installing and saving the games. Playing the games from the cdrom is known to cause the save game corruption. Where the last character is saved in all the character slots. To prevent that, install the games to the HD and start and play them from there.

Whether you run the game from the cdrom or install it to the HD. It doesn't name the game or save game directories correctly. So you need to fix them by hand before trying to play them. You'll know you have the problem because it will ask for disk 3 when you try to load a save game. And you will not be able to load or save characters either. An example of a working directory and pool.cfg settings.

(working directory structure)
C:\WIZWORX\POOLRAD
C:\WIZWORX\POOLRAD\SAVE

(working pool.cfg setting)
E
P
C:\WIZWORX\POOLRAD\
C:\WIZWORX\POOLRAD\SAVE\
N

By default the Collectors edition will install POR to a \WIZWORKS\ directory stucture which will not work. So rename it as shown above to \WIZWORX\ . I'll try to post the link for the original Wizworks help page where I found most of the information provided above. Wizworks and it's site doesn't exist anymore, so you have to access an archive of it from the web archive project.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990921040940/htt … h/ad&dhelp.html

I wish I had found it earlier myself. I had tried to get this collection working on and off a number of times over the years, with no success. And now I am happily half way through Pool of Radiance once again. (edited to correct a non-working instruction above)

Last edited by tempus2 on 2009-09-14, 21:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 39, by Cerebus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone thinstalled theses games before? I'm currently attempting to thinstall the Forgotten Realms Collection with Dosbox. Once I have it working, I'll have a flashdrive gamedox with all of the goldbox dnd , EOB 1-3 and also the Might & Magic 3-5 as plug and Play. Any suggestions for inclusion?

This Space For Rent

Reply 19 of 39, by swabbleflange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem with Pool of Radiance that might not be solvable through DOSbox, but it's worth asking!

I'm getting a 'runtime 200' error when I try to resurrect a particular dead member of my party. Other members have been resurrected with no problem, but the game really doesn't seem to want me to have this guy back. I'm reluctant to let him go seeing as I've put several hours into levelling him.

I'm not particularly PC-literate, but I have learned a bit about DOSbox (I got the game working, for one thing, and figured out why the 'Disk 3 save' thing was happening). Anyway, I've searched about for solutions to this error and what I've tried hasn't helped. I've tried a program called TP7P5FIX, and a patching program called CRTFIX16 (which told me no errors were found and nothing needed patching).

I've done more obvious stuff like lower the CPU cycles and try other versions of DOSbox, but to no avail.

Is my hard-working fighter doomed to the graveyards of Phlan?