VOGONS

WIP: No dollar unspent dual tualatin build.

Topic actions

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ok so I allways had problems finding that one perfect computer for me. It always ends up being too new, too old, no isa and so on.

I never liked the idea of having two computers so I have a very bad habit of building a system then parting it out weeks latter. In my quest to find a perfect pc I, after years of hard work believe I found it. That is unless someone knows of a good full atx dual 462 or 604 board with isa...
Anyway long story shorts it's a dual 1.4ghz Piii-s setup with 2gb of ram and isa.

This kind of setup is new enough that I can do all my daily crap in it and old enough that it can still game and do dos stuff! Now I know what your thinking, a Piii is not a good idea for a daylily use system. Well did I say it would be online? Well ok it will be online, but I'm only on 4 sites. eBay, PayPal, hwbot and vogons. I not all too worried. Not that I'll be use if a old OS or web browser for that. With dual cpus and 2gb of ram I could be running 7 or *nix. If I can run office and get on those 4 sites then I'm set for the new pc end of things.

TLDR:

I'm putting together a dual 1.4ghz sk370 setup and no dollar will be spared! It must be perfect!!!

This is a work in progress. I will update this thread when I get more parts! I have not chosen all the parts I'll be useing so no system specs yet.

Day 1: Test fit motherboard, nic cd drives and vga.

What I learned: I need a longer audio cable for the cd drive.
I will need a single slot cooler or single slot video card if I want to have a voodoo2 sli setup with a nic and scsi card. I'll probably dich the nic or go single slot in the vga.

What I'm waiting on:
Hdds, CPUs, scsi card, ram, heatsinks, caps for mobo and dust filters.

ETA on next parts delivery.
Unknown

Plans.
The motherboard will be recapped. The caps on it are mostly ok. Some I don't trust, for about 15-20$ I might as well recap it.
I will use a scis raid setup in the system.
I will need to track down some high end video cards to test in the system.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-02-20, 13:14. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 1 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Day 2 plans!

Fit 92mm cooling fan in hdd bay. [installed]
Install 5 hdds. (36gb quantum atlas) [4 of 5 nstalled]
Install ram into mobo. (2gb sdr cl2 pc133) [installed]
Plan wireing layout. [done]

What I done so far.
Test fitted mobo, vga and sound card.
Put new TIM on the x850xt cleaned it and checked its fan.

What I learned on day 2
I need more molex cables.
The scsi drives are loud, on drive was bad and missing caps.

Day 3 plans!
Install scsi card, cpu's and heatsink.

Done!

Day 4 plans!
Wire the computer. (Done)
Configure raid. Done
Install voodoo2s (done)

Day 5 plans!
Install Windows and apps. Working on it!

Day 6 plans!
Bench and have fun

The photo below is the system as of now.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-03-05, 20:47. Edited 10 times in total.

Reply 2 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Reserved for parts photos.

Look, how Scsi
These drives are quite loud.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-02-16, 20:05. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 3 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Parts I know I'll be using.
5 quantum atlas scis hdd.
AWE64 gold.
2gb ram.
6VXDC7 motherboard.
2 1.4ghz Piii-s CPUs.
550w seasonic psu.
Ata ls-120 drive.
Sata dvd drive via sata to ide thingy.
PD-rom drive.
ADAPTEC 2100 Raid card.

Parts I'll need to buy
2 12mb Voodoo'2 [bought]
Longer CD audio cable [bought]
Zip ties and anchors. [bought]
Stick on heatsink for mosfets and vga ram. [bought]
2 80mm fans [bought]

Parts I'm waiting on.
CPUs. (received)
Heat sinks. (received)
One more hdd. (received)
Longer cd audio cable. (received)
IDE to Sata adapter. (received)
Molex cables. (received)
Scsi card. (received)
Scsi cable. (received)
2 100mhz stb voodoo2's (received)
Misc screws (received)
Dust filter (received)
Atx pins and pcie ends.(received)

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-03-08, 00:50. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 6 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

You and me both. This system will be done up to the best of my abilities. I tend to just slap systems together but this will be done right.

Reply 7 of 103, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure what graphics card your running but I know you want to go single slot cooling. http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40/c21/s223/ … Card-Page1.html
I buy most of my fans and cool supplies from them.

Reply 8 of 103, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure I trust SCSI HDD's for my daily driver, they must be getting on by now especially if they old server drives.
But you get full marks for awesomeness. SMP, SLI, SCSI these are all things that make me warm and fuzzy

Reply 9 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
chinny22 wrote:

Not sure I trust SCSI HDD's for my daily driver, they must be getting on by now especially if they old server drives.
But you get full marks for awesomeness. SMP, SLI, SCSI these are all things that make me warm and fuzzy

Good call on the HDD's, I don't know how I missed that. But with 5 drives in raid, a LS120 and PD drive I'll be able to back up the system when needed and have fault tolerance. So unless I forget to do a back up and all 5 drives go down I could be ok. but we will see.

Reply 10 of 103, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eBay will struggle on a dual 1.4 GHz PIII-S. I was still using a dual PIII-S 1.5 GHz w/3GB about 1-2 years ago for everyday tasks. I have a high threshold for computing patience and still I had to upgrade (to an Opteron 180).

I have installed Win7 of these dual PIII-S systems, but XP SP3 felt quite a bit faster. There are not Win7 drivers for many of these older sound cards. Perhaps you should consider XP-POS2009 and dual boot with *nix.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
feipoa wrote:

eBay will struggle on a dual 1.4 GHz PIII-S. I was still using a dual PIII-S 1.5 GHz w/3GB about 1-2 years ago for everyday tasks. I have a high threshold for computing patience and still I had to upgrade (to an Opteron 180).

I have installed Win7 of these dual PIII-S systems, but XP SP3 felt quite a bit faster. There are not Win7 drivers for many of these older sound cards. Perhaps you should consider XP-POS2009 and dual boot with *nix.

About 6months back I had a single 1.4ghz setup with 512mb of ram and it was ok with Ebay and Firefox 12 if I only had one page open at a time. But the only time I'll be on eBay is when I need to file a depute or respond to one. I do most of my ebay stuff on a smart phone. 😒 I may even kick the nic and keep the system offline all together.

Anyway I'll be likely using 2k and BSD.

Reply 12 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Update.

No clue when the next parts delivery will be but I'm gonna guess Thursday or Friday.
Come back regularly as I'll be updating the posts above once I get parts.

Reply 13 of 103, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"No dollar unspent dual tualatin build."
So when's your Voodoo 5 6k coming in? 😁

And yes, those old SCSI drives make a horrible lot of noise, will make your eardrums bleed 😵

Afaik Win2k is the last Windows NT OS that still works with at least soms of the older ATA LS-120 drives and nice touch on the PD-ROM drive! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Tetrium wrote:
"No dollar unspent dual tualatin build." So when's your Voodoo 5 6k coming in? :D […]
Show full quote

"No dollar unspent dual tualatin build."
So when's your Voodoo 5 6k coming in? 😁

And yes, those old SCSI drives make a horrible lot of noise, will make your eardrums bleed 😵

Afaik Win2k is the last Windows NT OS that still works with at least soms of the older ATA LS-120 drives and nice touch on the PD-ROM drive! 😁

No voodoo6k, I need something with more power. And after that voodoo_k6 guy started to kill voodoo6000 hardly anyone will sell them anymore.

I had the very same ATA LS-120 drive in a system running server 2008.
The drives are not that bad, just the one that has a bad bearing is unbearable with will probably be replaced.

Reply 15 of 103, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
trevormacro.jpg
Filename
trevormacro.jpg
File size
22.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

that's the guy. I think he used more then one name. I recalled him useing voodoo_6k or something like that too.
He even has the rempage prototype. He really killed the 3dfx community.

Reply 17 of 103, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He had to keep changing his name as people caught onto his bullshit and either stopped dealing with him or banned him outright.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yeah I know. I experienced it first hand. I just could never remember all his names.
I'm sure, given my contacts in the 3dfx community could get ahold of a voodoo6k, but I don't want one or the responsibility of owning one.

Reply 19 of 103, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I feel like the lights are off and I can't find the light switch. What is this about a 3dfx guy who is breaking Voodoo6 cards? Where can I read up on this. What is the purpose of killing the Voodoo6 cards? To increase the value of his own?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.