VOGONS

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I and a fellow classic computer enthusiast have two identical gateway 2000 destinations machines. His machine had a dead hdd and needs a replacement OS. The destination uses 100% proprietary hardware and will not function with regular windows 95 or 98.

I would like to make an entire copy of the windows 95 drive in my machine and send it to him. I'm wondering what the best method for that would be. I have copied drives directly to eachother before. However , I haven't copied a drive into a file type that is sendable before. Would it be an iso type file? The hard drives in these machine are a very small 4 or 5 gb.

Reply 1 of 11, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well if you're sending it to someone, it'd be a good idea to ask what tools would be handy for him.

Otherwise, if you can boot from a CD, I highly recommend Clonezilla, which is free and open-source and can backup both to images as well as clone drives: http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/

Failing that, you can find an old copy of Norton (or even pre-Norton) Ghost, which can fit on a single 3.5" floppy. Edit: Norton/Symantec changed Ghost somewhere around 2002-2005ish to be more of a Windows backup program rather than a small bootable imaging program so when I said "an old copy" I mean it. You can sometimes find it on Ebay or, well, I'm sure you know of alternate methods.

You could also just zip everything up if you like - make sure to include hidden and system files - your archive software may exclude those (or at least hidden files) with default switches. If you go this route, you'll want to use a boot disk and use the command "sys" (and possibly need to also go into fdisk and set active partition) to get the system files copied properly. Honestly try to avoid this option if you can unless he insists on you sending him a standard zip file.

HDDs are usually not backed up into ISO... Usually it's either a proprietary format or a standard archiving type format like GNU tar.

Last edited by kenrouholo on 2017-02-27, 23:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 2 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kenrouholo wrote:

Well if you're sending it to someone, it'd be a good idea to ask what tools would be handy for him.

This is what it all comes down to. Different programs will use different image formats and they aren't always compatible with one another.

Reply 3 of 11, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think with Windows 9x you can just use WinImage? It's what I use to image old DOS drives.

ETA: regarding Clonezilla - is there a way of forcing it to copy 'dirty' NTFS drives?

Last edited by Errius on 2017-02-28, 00:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 11, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:

ETA: regarding Clonezilla - is there a way of forcing it to copy 'dirty' NTFS drives?

Clonezilla supports 3 methods with NTFS.. ntfsclone, partclone, dd. dd should definitely work but not ideal as far as space or time (though compression will make the space issue better... and the time issue worse). I think there may be an option you can set to not check it though. Fairly certain.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 6 of 11, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem I had was imaging a laptop drive which had a proprietary OEM partition. Clonezilla refused to copy it because it was 'dirty', but there was no way of running chkdsk on it.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 11, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have network card installed, you can use http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/ to image the drive to a ftp server.
if you prefer to image or clone the drive from DOS, you can find Dolly at http://www.sac.sk/files.php?d=14&p=14

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 9 of 11, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

The problem I had was imaging a laptop drive which had a proprietary OEM partition. Clonezilla refused to copy it because it was 'dirty', but there was no way of running chkdsk on it.

Have you tried -q1 Priority: only dd in the expert mode?

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 10 of 11, by Taylor7108

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if this was the type of answer you were looking for, but to backup my DOS machine, I use Active Disk Image and a IDE>USB adapter. I just take out the HDD, plug it into the adapter and run the disk imager. It is only a 504MB drive, but it does a complete copy in 45 seconds. The image is 100% bootable.

Hope this helps!

Current Build: 486 DX2 66 / 16MB RAM / 2GB CF / CL5428 VLB 1MB / Aztech 2316 Sound / DOS 6.22

Reply 11 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it will cost you some, but I use a Disk Cloner to clone my drives, mine is a SATA 2 port that I have SATA to IDE and SATA to Molex Adapters on it for cloning IDE, but it does a sector by sector copy, only rule is the destination drive must be larger or equal in size to the source