VOGONS

Reply 5360 of 27185, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Tried to make an 8GB USB Stick work with my P166MMX Windows 98 install and failed.. All pointers welcome..

Disclaimer: Make sure you copy off anything valuable off of the chosen flash disk before following the below suggestion because it will erase the entire contents of the thing. This is a destructive process.

In any modern version of windows:

windows key + R for run box -> diskpart -> run as admin

List disk<ENTER> (look at list, find disk # for flash drive, careful with this! make sure you select correct drive! This process will erase the drive selected!)
Select disk 2<ENTER> *(Replace 2 with the drive ID number of the flash stick, be careful here!)
Clean<ENTER>
Create partition primary<ENTER>
Select partition 1<ENTER>
Format FS=FAT32 QUICK<ENTER>
assign<ENTER>
exit<ENTER>

Enjoy Win98 compatible flash stick. No 3rd party programs needed.

Disclaimer: Windows has protections built in and will not let you issue the <clean> command on the hard drive windows is installed to, there's no risk there. But there is no warning about doing this on other attached storage drives. Once you enter the command it goes without prompting. I'm not to be held responsible if you wipe the wrong drive accidentally.

Reply 5361 of 27185, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dismantled the BFG Asylum Geforce FX 5950 Ultra AGP I bought last spring\summer and reapplied thermal paste (and added silicone thermal pads to the memory on the back of the card). I feel dumb saying this, but I haven't tested the card after all this time because I was afraid of it baking itself due to old crusty thermal paste. Sure enough, it was hard as a rock (used arcticlean and a plastic scraper... still took 10 minutes to get it all off)... no way it would have softened before the GPU got very very hot, and there were tons of air gaps.

I got this thing fairly cheap last year... I couldn't pass up owning one of the fastest FX based cards ever. I also got a BFG 6800 GT OC AGP around the same time, and it is identical to the one I had back in the day. One of these will make it into a new retro build soon. I may drop the 5950 Ultra into my NF7-S 2.0 system (XP 1700+ @ 2.1Ghz), just because. 😁

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but is there anything an FX series can do that a 6800 (or later) cannot? I have several decent AGP cards to play with for building systems of this era (roughly). A 6600GT, 7600GS, 6800GT, 5950 Ultra, Radeon 9800 Pro and 9600 Pro. I think the FX or a 9800 Pro would be the best match (I had the 9600 Pro on that system originally, then the 6800GT). If I decide to be "logical" and actually put together an AGP system to do something that my others cannot do, this would likely be a major factor.

I also have an Epox Nforce 3 Ultra board and a couple of Athlon 64s that would likely make a better home for the 6800GT... but my Nforce 2 system has been usable for 13-14 years now, so I like to tinker with that from time to time.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5362 of 27185, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found this forum recently when I was searching for something else and it encouraged me to dig through my collection and try and restore one of my many old PCs. So I thought why not try and get my slowest system up and running again.

With that in mind, I dragged out of storage my Olivetti PCS 11. Intel 80386SX 16MHz, 10MB RAM.

I acquired this system back in 2003, was given to me free and it wasn't long before it was put into storage, as at the time I was mostly focusing on collecting 486 & Socket 7-era systems and found this 386 too slow to be useful. It's been laying in storage outside in a shed since at least 2004 and to my surprise, not only was it still working fine, it even had the correct date. 😲

It was missing it's hard drive, which I later found stored elsewhere - a 40MB IDE drive. This drive was playing up however and before long it was no longer being detected - luckily I'd managed to back stuff up from it before it "died" (will need to check it in another system at some point). I decided to replace the hard drive with a 1.2GB drive that I removed years ago from an old Macintosh Performa. This old 386 obviously won't recognise the full 1.2GB and I couldn't find a way to access the BIOS either, so I resorted to using Ontrack Disk Manager & got MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 installed.

It only has 1 expansion port, so I decided to put in a 3Com Etherlink III 3C509B ISA Ethernet card. Having network access was a godsend in getting everything set up, saved having to resort to floppy disks. But I've got some other spare parts that I might try at a later date, namely a Trident 1MB SVGA card & an Aztech Sound Galaxy II sound card.

I spent most of today copying over programs (such as Microsoft Works 3, Microsoft Office 4.3, Microsoft Publisher 2) and loads of DOS games. Even managed to finally make use of the pictured Saitek joystick - another piece of equipment somebody gave to me years ago, but as I no longer had systems equipped with a Gameport, it lay in storage.

At some point I'm going to have to go through the PCs in storage and check their conditions, there's a load of 486 & Pentium 1 era systems and many Pentium II & III era systems also. In a way, I'm glad I hoarded them all over the years, quite the nostalgia trip. 🤣

Attachments

• 20170324_020313.jpg
    Filename
    20170324_020313.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5363 of 27185, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PTherapist wrote:

At some point I'm going to have to go through the PCs in storage and check their conditions, there's a load of 486 & Pentium 1 era systems and many Pentium II & III era systems also. In a way, I'm glad I hoarded them all over the years, quite the nostalgia trip. 🤣

Well friend, you're hooked now.. this is why most of us do this: nostalgia from when we were young, rebuilding our old computers through the years and playing old games. If you have any problems getting any of it set up and working, go ahead and don't be afraid to make a new thread about it. No matter how obscure or random you may think your problem with XX system may be.. with some obscure old hardware, just ask. Most of us here are friendly and know -A LOT- about old hardware and usually will help you.

Reply 5364 of 27185, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Diamond Monster MX300 from eBay. A little dusty, but it recognizes in Windows 98SE. Spent about 4 hours figuring out why whenever I installed its drivers, the PS2 Mouse/Keyboard would stop working. Then I moved it to the first PCI slot (next to the AGP). Right now, at least I now have sound and mouse/keyboard. But alas it is getting late.

Reply 5365 of 27185, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Received and installed the R9 290 in my step-brother's Phenom ii rig. Dayum is it a crazy improvement over the gtx 550.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5366 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Ive tried v3.3 of this but had no luck. It requires uninstalling the usb hub prior to installing the driver but the keyboard mouse I have are usb...

You don't actually have to uninstall anything before installing it. I saw that in the instructions and thought... why?

It works if you just run the installer without doing anything first.

I don't mean to derail the thread but this didn't happen. Installed NUSB 3.3, rebooted and the USB Root HUB et al. drivers did not update, at all. Not sure if this is because I installed NUSB 3.3 and that is for USB2.0 and I only have (apparently) USB1.1 on my mainboard, or because the USB Root HUB needs to be removed for the driver to update - I do not know. What I do know is that trying to manually update the USB Root HUB drivers via Device Manager fails to find any more recent than what Windows 98 comes with (some driver dated 1999). I will try two things this weekend:

1. Install NUSB 2.4 and see if it makes a difference
2. Install NUSB 3.3, Uninstall the USB Root HUB (which will leave me without a Keyboard and Mouse 🙁 ) so I'll have to hard reset and hope Windows installs new drivers.

Regardless, I suppose I need to find an AT keyboard and Serial mouse, as not all DOS games work well in Windows anyway, and my BIOS has no legacy USB support, meaning I am keyboard/mouse-less in MSDOS mode..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5367 of 27185, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
I don't mean to derail the thread but this didn't happen. Installed NUSB 3.3, rebooted and the USB Root HUB et al. drivers did […]
Show full quote

I don't mean to derail the thread but this didn't happen. Installed NUSB 3.3, rebooted and the USB Root HUB et al. drivers did not update, at all. Not sure if this is because I installed NUSB 3.3 and that is for USB2.0 and I only have (apparently) USB1.1 on my mainboard, or because the USB Root HUB needs to be removed for the driver to update - I do not know. What I do know is that trying to manually update the USB Root HUB drivers via Device Manager fails to find any more recent than what Windows 98 comes with (some driver dated 1999). I will try two things this weekend:

2. Install NUSB 3.3, Uninstall the USB Root HUB (which will leave me without a Keyboard and Mouse 🙁 ) so I'll have to hard reset and hope Windows installs new drivers.

Regardless, I suppose I need to find an AT keyboard and Serial mouse, as not all DOS games work well in Windows anyway, and my BIOS has no legacy USB support, meaning I am keyboard/mouse-less in MSDOS mode..

This is standard with windows 98... windows is quite stupid at driver updates. You probably need to manually point it to a folder and manually load a driver all on your own, even if it may say it doesn't match your hardware.. sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Reply 5368 of 27185, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:

With that in mind, I dragged out of storage my Olivetti PCS 11. Intel 80386SX 16MHz, 10MB RAM.

Welcome 😀

a 386SX was my first system, which is probably the only reason I find these systems interesting. From a practical point of view I find them beyond pointless given that a proper 386DX leaves the SX in the dust, and even a high-end 286 will beat it clock-for-clock.

But you can't beat nostalgia, and those Olivetti units were popular home items in the early '90s.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 5369 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
I don't mean to derail the thread but this didn't happen. Installed NUSB 3.3, rebooted and the USB Root HUB et al. drivers did […]
Show full quote

This is standard with windows 98... windows is quite stupid at driver updates. You probably need to manually point it to a folder and manually load a driver all on your own, even if it may say it doesn't match your hardware.. sometimes it works, sometimes not.

These NUSB installers are exe files and I can't seem to manually find where the drivers go once they are installed though..

EDIT: I can actually manually extract the exe with 7-zip, that's a revelation.. I'll try that tonight.

Reply 5370 of 27185, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dat Matrox Mystique

Attachments

• m96tid4.jpg
    Filename
    m96tid4.jpg
    File size
    375.87 KiB
    Views
    File license

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5371 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I needed more space in the room, so when I recieved 10 antistatic bags I ordered some time ago. I began to tear down two of my builds. I really need the space, like in REALLY need it. So untill I can get some shelves set up, I have my P-II-350 and my K6-II-500 in boxes. Cases are stored in another room. Funny enough. I have totally forgotten that I had AWE64-Values in those two machines. Wich is nice I guess. Well... Forgotten all about one G400 card too, as I thought that it ran a Rage128. When I saw that G400, I was all like "ohh yeah, now I remember... I sold the Rage128 last year". 🤣 Anyway....

The K6-II-500 was on an Asus P5A 1.04 and the P-II-350 was on an Asus P2B-S 1.02. Good boards in good builds, though lack of space requires me to place the hardware in boxes, and store the cases elsewere. Anyway... Never really use them at all.

They will be rebuild in the future, whenever I have the room/space for all computers at the same time.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5372 of 27185, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I worked on putting my KT7A build together.

It is going into an old Gateway case because none of the other cases I have will fit the power supply and the Thermaltake Big Typhoon cooler due to the CPU socket being right near the edge of the board.

I had to modify the case so a regular sized power supply would fit. The back of the case has a smaller than normal mounting/air outlet area.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5373 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
Show full quote

Aaand.. this worked. Not flawlessly, but it worked. In the sense that, plugging in a USB drive does not automatically load drivers for it for whatever reason, but when I do a search for drivers and point to the folder I extracted NUSB3.3 to, it loads fine and shows up as a generic removable drive with some SCSI drivers behind it. I would have been happier with true PnP as it probably is meant to be, and I don't know why installing the drivers don't register when a new USB flashdrive is plugged in, but I can live with it.. Thanks for the pointers!

Reply 5374 of 27185, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, is there anyone who has used in the past the Asus P5N32-SLI Premium together with Dual Channel RAM with success? This motherboard - nice to see, but terrible in compatibility - is making me crazy... If yes, I'll appreciate if you can tell me the precise RAM kit model.

I talk about this 'new' finding here, thanks a lot.
Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 5375 of 27185, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On Thursday, got some new hardware on pub night with my pals, 80GB drives (one SATA, one PATA - the PATA is going on my 486 at some point). I have a friend I exchange hardware with occasionally as both of us rebuild machines, except he focuses mostly on old IBM ThinkPads and I'm more into the 80486 desktop stuff on back. No pics yet. For RAM I got some IBM Branded DIMMS and SIMMS - 32MB of Parity 72 pin SIMMS, those would have been prime parts for my IBM PC-330 100DX4 10 years ago when I had that. The DIMMS on the other hand are IBM branded as well - one is PC-100 for a PIII, the other is DDR PC-

IMG_20170313_183756546.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170313_183756546.jpg
File size
71.06 KiB
Views
File comment
My closet stash of old PC-dom
File license

I did put my stash of vintage boxes together in the closet - those remaining - I'll probably be getting rid of the Dell Dimension 4600 P4, I really have no need for it, still a little on the Fence on the Gateway 2000 socket 5 Pentium even though I hopped it up considerably. The 286 on the bottom is staying though, I don't have the space to have it out yet. Almost considering getting rid of my Pentium D, giving the Core 2 to the wife's room, and doing all my recording on the 486 after I test recording ON that machine out a little more.

I also have a Mac SE FDHD, not sure what I'm going to do with that, it has a very nice setup though. I have that with the original keyboard, 2 original mice, a trackball, and what I think is an 800K External hard disk. The specs are maxxed out for a 1989 SE FDHD - 60MB SCSI HDD, 1.4M Floppy, 4MB of RAM, it's got SIm City and a bunch of other games and even some Microsoft Office stuff on it, and I have Microsofts BASIC for the Macintosh for it as well, just not sure what I want to do with it yet.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 5376 of 27185, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Aaand.. this worked. Not flawlessly, but it worked. In the sense that, plugging in a USB drive does not automatically load drivers for it for whatever reason, but when I do a search for drivers and point to the folder I extracted NUSB3.3 to, it loads fine and shows up as a generic removable drive with some SCSI drivers behind it. I would have been happier with true PnP as it probably is meant to be, and I don't know why installing the drivers don't register when a new USB flashdrive is plugged in, but I can live with it.. Thanks for the pointers!

Yep.. Win98 is a pain in the ass. There's a reason PnP for Win9x era coined the term "Plug And Pray". At least you got it working at all, so be happy for that.

Kadath wrote:

Hello, is there anyone who has used in the past the Asus P5N32-SLI Premium together with Dual Channel RAM with success? This motherboard - nice to see, but terrible in compatibility - is making me crazy... If yes, I'll appreciate if you can tell me the precise RAM kit model.

I talk about this 'new' finding here, thanks a lot.
Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

I would strongly suggest you use Kingston ram, either HyperX or ValueRam. Kingston is almost always 99.999% compatible with every system that was ever made. Not always, but a very high percentage of systems.

Reply 5377 of 27185, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a Creative Sound Blaster 16 ISA (CT4170) and a ASUS V3800 32MB (TNT2) for 20 bucks (CDN)!

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 5378 of 27185, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I restore AT case for 286 system today
Attic find - 286-16, that's right

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 5379 of 27185, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made a video of me running some really old Emulators on my 80486 DX4-100 today - did it for the other thread on running emulators on older hardware. - https://youtu.be/Y7XETcYr8vk - used the potato camera though.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/