VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16361 of 52352, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would you mind popping the cover and taking some photos? I have a PSU matchup thread for discussing PSUs for Athlon projects (and other difficult builds).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16363 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

That power supply is a piece of shit. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDR … =Story3&reid=85 I hope you didn't pay much for it.

It handles all the loads he throws at it and doesn't blow up in testing. Even in his torture-test the "HotBox". Sure it's not 80% efficient but that's fine.. it actually works at it's rated load, so it's just fine for an older power supply in an older computer. As long as you're in America when you use it that is.

Richo wrote:

<snip>
yes I noticed. will post more soon, this PSU will be fully recapped.

Why recap it? All of the capacitors I can see appear to be perfectly healthy. No doming or bulging, none leaking, looks perfectly fine from your photo.

Reply 16364 of 52352, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
kithylin wrote:
It handles all the loads he throws at it and doesn't blow up in testing. Even in his torture-test the "HotBox". Sure it's not 80 […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

That power supply is a piece of shit. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDR … =Story3&reid=85 I hope you didn't pay much for it.

It handles all the loads he throws at it and doesn't blow up in testing. Even in his torture-test the "HotBox". Sure it's not 80% efficient but that's fine.. it actually works at it's rated load, so it's just fine for an older power supply in an older computer. As long as you're in America when you use it that is.

Richo wrote:

<snip>
yes I noticed. will post more soon, this PSU will be fully recapped.

Why recap it? All of the capacitors I can see appear to be perfectly healthy. No doming or bulging, none leaking, looks perfectly fine from your photo.

take a close look, at the row of 4 black capacitors most right one. This one is bulging, not suprising for that era of computers.
funny thing is people are often complaing how bad something an unknown brand is trying to make a name for itself, while the good brands often also use poor quality units and get away with it.

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-03-24, 19:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16365 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Richo wrote:

take a close look, at the row of 4 black capacitors most right one. This one is bulging, not suprising for that era of computers.

I see it now.. it's very faint. hard to see in this photo, didn't see it at first.

Reply 16366 of 52352, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I usually don't pay more than pocket change for any retro stuff that I buy (most is trash-picked), but this one I've been wanting to have for a while; an ethernet card for my Mac SE/30. It's not the best one, it lacks a PDS passthrough and a TP-jack, but no matter. Ended up at ~33 EUR. Sellers pic:

Daynaport_SE30.jpg

Oh and FYI, the person selling it to me is currently selling off a pretty massive Apple collection on Swedish ebay (tradera.se). A quick count yielded 1500+ current and finished auctions, all with Apple stuff. Lots of rare stuff; "Apple Interactive Cable TV Box" anyone?
I'm not affiliated, just letting people know. 😀

Reply 16367 of 52352, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
luckybob wrote:

close enough.

Read the whole review, it's actually a good review. The performance is good could be better ofcourse but still.
The caps are poor quality as are most of that era by most brands..... ok the cooling issue is something to note, this is easy to fix. Close the holes and create air flow (some clear rigid plastic and glue) this could become a fun upcoming project. Replace both fans with high cfm maybe some high static pressure ones dunno.
The recap was expected so, will probably use rubicons or Panasonic depending on my local hardware shop.

Reply 16368 of 52352, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gatewayuser200 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/JMDgWmQ.png […]
Show full quote

JMDgWmQ.png

Well, I didn't expect to win this NOS base model MSI 694D Pro2 motherboard with my $15 max bid.

I actually already have two of these. One with RAID and firewire and a second one with RAID but no firewire. I guess one with neither options is good for longevity. No useless fire wire headers or a silly promise RAID chip to die.

But then again, seeing empty silkscreens hurts me on the inside.

So you're the one who beat me out on it, 🤣. I was gonna nock my maximum bid up but ran into a new money pit with my truck (might have to replace engine). Until I get a quote in a few days I didn't want to risk getting into a bidding war. If you ever want to sell it for a reasonable price, let me know.

Reply 16369 of 52352, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I lately bought some Promise chip based VLB caching controller, after lot of searching and paying sick e-bay price - LCS-6941

Today I was more lucky. Found TEKRAM DC-680C listed locally, for a decent price (20 USD equiv). I couldn't resist. This card seems more interesting than the previous one and has more built-in features (like disk cloning) and I can't wait to put it in my 486.

921833w.jpg

Reply 16370 of 52352, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a pair of cases for a few bucks and gas but ended up being really dissapointed when I opened them. Pentium III and ASUS case badges on the outside and ECS K750+ with solderd on Duron 1200s. Haven't been this disappointed since christmas quite a few years ago. Oh well, case badges and style match what's going into one of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20170325_181954.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170325_181954.jpg
    File size
    687.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20170325_182009.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170325_182009.jpg
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Views
    File license

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16371 of 52352, by ATi_Loyalist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up a rare Fire GL X2-256t. This is the 9800XT based FireGL Card essentially. Going in a P4 Retro Box, I was able to find an XP driver that appears to be the equivalent release to the last Catalyst 6.2 that most people are using under XP. We'll see.

Attachments

• SAM_1433.JPG
    Filename
    SAM_1433.JPG
    File size
    389.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ATi FireGL X2-256t
    File license

P4/XP Rig: P4C800 | P4 3.4 | Radeon X850 Pro
A64/XP Rig : A8V | A64 X2 4400+ | X1950 Pro
Ancient Rig: Pentium 166 W | S3 Trio

Reply 16372 of 52352, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diamond Monster Sound M80 (sealed)
vG65am.jpg

3DFX V5-5500 and V5-6000 Domed Case Badges
wLvPzY.jpg

Lot of 5 Voodoo Magazines
lLqPU1.jpg

XFX 6800 Xtreme (PVT42KUDE3) 256MB AGP
nyh4ju.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 16373 of 52352, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
Lot of 5 Voodoo Magazines http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/lLqPU1.jpg […]
Show full quote

Lot of 5 Voodoo Magazines
lLqPU1.jpg

Whoa, didn't know those existed. I wonder if anyone has scanned them

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 16374 of 52352, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just received an Asus CUSL2-M, P3-800EB, 512MB PC133, and Radeon 9500 Pro combo in the mail. Haven't powered it on yet. But ugh, someone did a lousy heatsink job for memory. Is there someway to remove that?

CoDBdw7.jpg

Reply 16375 of 52352, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:
Just received an Asus CUSL2-M, P3-800EB, 512MB PC133, and Radeon 9500 Pro combo in the mail. Haven't powered it on yet. But ugh, […]
Show full quote

Just received an Asus CUSL2-M, P3-800EB, 512MB PC133, and Radeon 9500 Pro combo in the mail. Haven't powered it on yet. But ugh, someone did a lousy heatsink job for memory. Is there someway to remove that?

CoDBdw7.jpg

Acetone is your best bet. And twist them of and not pull.

Reply 16376 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:

I'd leave it if it was me. I actually heatsinked the ram on a 9500 I owned once. Those ram chips get hot enough to almost burn your fingers if you touch em shortly after gaming.

Reply 16377 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a P2 board with a CPU and 2 sticks of ram on it. Seller's photo:

gallery_60983_11505_97771.jpeg

No idea what the CPU is (asked the seller and he quoted the sticker on the BIOS chip..) or how much RAM it has (did not ask after the first question) but he swears it works, so I paid around $20 for it, a floppy drive and 2 DVD/CD-RW combo drives. If anyone can ID the board from this lousy photo, humour me 😀

I want to turn it into a 99/00 gaming PC.. I want to add a Voodoo 3 to it, but I have none and finding one would be a hassle. The only Voodoo 2 I have is in my MMX build. I guess that means I may buy and use a TNT2 for the first time.. GeForce 256 is not an option, as it's almost as rare as the Voodoo 3 where I live. So the only other option is GeForce 2 MX 400 (which isn't time accurate but actually fairly decent for such a rig..)

I may end up getting both a TNT2 and an MX400..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16378 of 52352, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Bought a P2 board with a CPU and 2 sticks of ram on it. Seller's photo: […]
Show full quote

Bought a P2 board with a CPU and 2 sticks of ram on it. Seller's photo:

gallery_60983_11505_97771.jpeg

No idea what the CPU is (asked the seller and he quoted the sticker on the BIOS chip..) or how much RAM it has (did not ask after the first question) but he swears it works, so I paid around $20 for it, a floppy drive and 2 DVD/CD-RW combo drives. If anyone can ID the board from this lousy photo, humour me 😀

I want to turn it into a 99/00 gaming PC.. I want to add a Voodoo 3 to it, but I have none and finding one would be a hassle. The only Voodoo 2 I have is in my MMX build. I guess that means I may buy and use a TNT2 for the first time.. GeForce 256 is not an option, as it's almost as rare as the Voodoo 3 where I live. So the only other option is GeForce 2 MX 400 (which isn't time accurate but actually fairly decent for such a rig..)

I may end up getting both a TNT2 and an MX400..

I'd say go for the TNT2 or GF2. You can add voodoo 2 cards later. I prefer not to be limited to glide.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16379 of 52352, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

3DFX V5-5500 and V5-6000 Domed Case Badges

I think I bought stuff from the same guy (eBay?). Funny story about that, and related to what I was going to post today anyway.

I purchased some stickers off him a couple of months ago and we got talking through eBay messages about retro hardware and collecting in general which was nice because most people I've bought old stuff off before are just reselling for profit or getting rid of "junk", or in terms of stickers they were mass producing things for money, not making a few here and there because they have a passion for retro HW. Of course the quality didn't match a professionally made item in a factory but I'm sure as hell going to give my money to someone who's doing it because they genuinely love the scene.

He told me he was moving house soon since a kid was on its way and they needed more space and with all of that came a lot of financial pressure.

We lived in the same general area in Sydney so this weekend I went to visit and pick up a couple of other items I bought off of him earlier in the week and ended up leaving with a whole lot more than I anticipated - some old, some newer, some game related and some had nothing to do with tech at all. Mainly stuff he didn't want to bring with him I guess.

Not going to spam the thread with photos for all of this stuff since it's all been seen one hundred times before.

Some highlights include (all prices in australian dollars):

An ~2000 era PIII rebuild - $125

• Asus CUSL2
  • PIII 1GHz
  • 512MB SDRAM
  • Asus V7700 Deluxe with some third party vantec cooler
  • Some Creative Live Sound Blaster (didn't check model)
  • A mid 00's Antec case. I don't know the model, just looks like it was 2004 or 2005. Silver, aluminium, removable mobo tray, side window but still top mounted PSU, multiple floppy/optical bays and minimal fan ports.
  • also had some rounded ide cables which was nice.

A whole bunch of old PC games which he said were duplicates from his collection. I had some myself but I know some friends who'd like copies - $80

• Battle Realms (CD + Case Only)
  • Blood II: The Chosen (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Blood II: The Chosen - The Nightmare Levels (CD + Case Only)
  • Caesar III (CD + Case (Only)
  • Deus Ex (CD + Case Only)
  • Diablo (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Doom 3 (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Dungeon Siege (CD + Case Only)
  • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (CD + Case Only)
  • Escape from Money Island (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Forsaken (CD + Case Only)
  • Half-Life Counter-Strike (CD+Case Only)
  • Hexen II (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Hexen II Mission Pack: Portal of Praevus (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Homeworld (CD + Case Only)
  • Iron Storm (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (CD + Case Only)
  • MDK (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Outlaws (CD + Case only)
  • Quake II (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Quake II Mission Pack - Ground Zero (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Quake III Arena (CD + case + manual)
  • Quake Mission Pack No. 1 (CD + case + manual)
  • Quake Mission Pack No. 2 (CD + case + manual)
  • Red Faction (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Redneck Rampage (CD + Case Only)
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Serious Sam: The First Encounter (CD + Case Only)
  • SiN (CD + Case Only)
  • SiN Mission Pack - Wages of Sin (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Sim City 3000 Unlimited (CD + Case Only)
  • Slave Zero (CD + Case Only)
  • Soldier of Fortune II (CD + Case + Manual)
  • System Shock 2 (CD + Case Only)
  • The Curse of Monkey Island (CD + Case Only)
  • Unreal (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Unreal II (CD + Case + Manual)
  • Unreal Tournament '99 GOTY Edition (CD + Case Only)
  • Worms World Party (CD + Case Only)

A whole lotta brand new stickers/badges - don't remember the price. A dollar each or so.

• Noctua metal badge x 5
  • Nvidia "Graphics by Nvidia" x 13 (old logo)
  • Pentium II Xeon x 9
  • Designed for Microsoft Windows NT/98 x 4
  • Red Pentium Inside with transparent background x 6
  • Blue Pentium Inside with transparent background x 2
  • Pentium MMX x 3
  • AMD Athlon (metallic) x 6
  • Pentium III x 50 (got these for 20c each)
  • Pentium II MMX x 3
  • Pentium II x 2
  • AMD K6 III x 4
  • Pentium 4 Extreme Edition x 5 (these were $3.50 each)
  • Pentium 4 w/ HT x 50 (20c each again)
  • Athlon 64 X2 x 30 (25c each)
  • Athlon 64 x 10 (50c each)
  • Graphics by ATI x 10 (50c each)
  • Blue "Intel Inside" with transparent bg x 5
  • Red "Intel Inside" with transparent bg x 3
  • Green "Intel Inside" with transparent bg x 3
  • Celeron with transparent bg x 6

He also gave me some of his 3dfx stickers he made for free which was nice of him.

Just some other things I bought/got from him:

• developer signed collectors edition copy of world of warcraft: burning crusade along with normal collectors editions copies of the other expansions
  • the revenant statue from DOOM (2016) collectors edition
  • various IDE optical drives, an external ZIP drive
  • HP iPAQ Pocket PC H1910 - runs Windows Pocket PC 2003 Pro complete with box, cables, etc
  • A whole box of untested mid 00s video cards, mainly ATI.
  • A CPU keyring made from a dead Core2Duo.

But I think my favourite thing I came out of it with was two large printed flags - one Unreal Tournament 99 Blue Team and one Unreal Tournament 99 Red Team. He made them himself and they are awesome. I'm going to have to find a way to hang them up over the retro gaming area. Apparently there was also some Quake 3 CTF flags as well but they were packed away.

Excuse the spare bedroom shot, I didn't have many places to lay it out. The colours are a bit off on the photos because it's 5am and shot under the lamp in this room 😵

1mQ1UHnl.jpg

ER1tW0nl.jpg

Good weekend!