VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OxVOHG9.jpg?1

patient is a tandy 1000SL motherboard that won't power on.

Several of the upper row of legs on this IC have been damaged by a nearby capacitor and are detached from the motherboard.

I've cleaned it very well (the photo is pre-cleaning) but I'm unable to tack the legs back down with my soldering iron, I think the old damaged solder on the legs and the pads are keeping the solder from flowing.

What do you think? Repairable? Am I looking at potentially removing the IC completely, cleaning the pads and legs, and then re-soldering?

Reply 2 of 7, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will have them this evening. Apparently I left before the photos synced to Google Photos this morning, they're sitting on my old phone at home.

I've attempted to solder them down but the solder just isn't sticking to anything. I've cleaned with vinegar, later with ispropyl alcohol, and tried a little flux. Also tried lead-based and lead-free solder.

Reply 3 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Be very careful, once they are corroded like that they tend to break off even more easily than usual.

One option: Use a fiber glass pen to brush off the corrosion. Brush along the pins, not across them. If the pads can't be recovered, you still can scratch off some of the green finishing and solder a small wire between the pin and the trace.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 7, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenerb wrote:

I will have them this evening. Apparently I left before the photos synced to Google Photos this morning, they're sitting on my old phone at home.

I've attempted to solder them down but the solder just isn't sticking to anything. I've cleaned with vinegar, later with ispropyl alcohol, and tried a little flux. Also tried lead-based and lead-free solder.

Generous amount of flux and solder. Deoxit -> Dentatured alcohol -> baking soda. This is the order I typically go through for bad corrosion.

Looking at that picture though there is likely to be plenty of trace damage and broken/lifted pads.

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 5 of 7, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The traces seem fine, I spent quite a while checking each of them. There are four fingers towards the middle of the chip that have lifted off their pads.

I used a fair amount of flux trying to resolder, but it just won't stick.

I have been looking for an excuse to pick up a hot-air pencil, I may use this as an excuse and try to lift the chip off the board and clean everything up nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/T3pzquS.jpg

T3pzquSl.jpg

Reply 6 of 7, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but that looks pretty grim to me.

Do you know if this is a multi-layer PCB? The vias indicate it could be, although they might also just be for connecting to the rear foil.

Notice all the blistering...that's caused by the caustic effect of the leaked electrolyte destroying the PCB like a cancer from the inside-out. Even if you are able to clean the board up and repair all the external connections, any inner copper layers would eventually fail if they haven't already.

Its also possible for corrosion that severe to burrow it's way along the legs into the chip itself, destroying it. I've repaired a number of Amiga motherboards with less visual damage than this where several ICs were killed by the corrosion.