Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16420 of 52357, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

So its a value with a black PCB? Well, if theres literally no difference that has to be the most ass backwards useless product I've ever seen from Creative.

Pretty much. But the way I looked at it, I would've bought Descent 3 anyways, so all this stuff for basically the cost of (USPS Medium Flat rate) shipping seems great.

Reply 16421 of 52357, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

So its a value with a black PCB? Well, if theres literally no difference that has to be the most ass backwards useless product I've ever seen from Creative.

Pretty much. But the way I looked at it, I would've bought Descent 3 anyways, so all this stuff for basically the cost of (USPS Medium Flat rate) shipping seems great.

Yeah True. Myself though I would have bought one of the many compilations that are oh so cheap and abundant on eBay which contained Descent III and gotten more games for my money. Hardware wise, I'm pretty solid right now and relatively well prepared for critical component failures.

Maybe I'm weird for collecting compilations though.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16422 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have these on the way now.

PAS 16 - $15 shipped.

Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro - supposedly has a dead channel, but it was cheap and should hopefully be an easy fix. ($8.95 + shipping). It also was not listed by the actual model name.. just the model number so I had to do a bit of research to find out exactly what it was.
Yay for a card that has a ton of compatibility - Adlib, SB Pro 2.0, Covox, Disney Sound Source, real OPL3, Windows Sound system. And a good MPU-401 interface supposedly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16423 of 52357, by ATi_Loyalist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

asIIL6p.jpg?1
Brand spankin' new X850 Pro, dying for an XT PE BIOS flash!

P4/XP Rig: P4C800 | P4 3.4 | Radeon X850 Pro
A64/XP Rig : A8V | A64 X2 4400+ | X1950 Pro
Ancient Rig: Pentium 166 W | S3 Trio

Reply 16424 of 52357, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Collecting compilations isn't weird, but offering other adults advice on how to better spend their money is. Unless you're not an adult, in which case your behaviour makes sense 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 16425 of 52357, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Yeah True. Myself though I would have bought one of the many compilations that are oh so cheap and abundant on eBay which contained Descent III and gotten more games for my money. Hardware wise, I'm pretty solid right now and relatively well prepared for critical component failures.

Also, if it means anything, the my X-Gamer is CT4760. I have a Live! Value that is CT4830. The X-Gamer has (probably faux) gold connectors while the Value has the plastic color coded ones.

Also technically I bought the below setup years ago, but I just powered it on now. Asus P4GPL-X (i915PL Socket 478) with Asus CT-479 adapter running a Pentium-M 730. I remember doing 12x166 = 2.0GHz easy, but it hit the wall around 2.2GHz. May buy a cheap Pentium-M to overclock. GPU is a HIS ATI X800 PCI-E (which looks remarkably similar to ATI_Loyalist's X850.

Y4ZwHfb.jpg

Reply 16426 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Collecting compilations isn't weird, but offering other adults advice on how to better spend their money is. Unless you're not an adult, in which case your behaviour makes sense 😀

But if you save money, then you can buy more retro gear 😁

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16427 of 52357, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

Also, if it means anything, the my X-Gamer is CT4760. I have a Live! Value that is CT4830. The X-Gamer has (probably faux) gold connectors while the Value has the plastic color coded ones.

Also technically I bought the below setup years ago, but I just powered it on now. Asus P4GPL-X (i915PL Socket 478) with Asus CT-479 adapter running a Pentium-M 730. I remember doing 12x166 = 2.0GHz easy, but it hit the wall around 2.2GHz. May buy a cheap Pentium-M to overclock. GPU is a HIS ATI X800 PCI-E (which looks remarkably similar to ATI_Loyalist's X850.

Tried just bumping it to 200MHz FSB? Had a 730 the CT-479/P4GD1 combo myself many years ago, the P4GPL-X are the cut down version. 😀 I remember also something about configuring the CT-479 to 100MHz FSB instead of 133MHz helped FSB overclocking.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 16428 of 52357, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11505/med_gallery_60983_11505_398955.jpg Microsoft Intellmiouse 1.3A, […]
Show full quote

med_gallery_60983_11505_398955.jpg
Microsoft Intellmiouse 1.3A, bought hoping it would be a 1.1A version combo mouse to use with an adapter, turned out to be a 1.3A PS/2 only.. 🙁

Look for a mouse with a gray PS/2 connector (the included adapter was the same color) and a glossy surface (which tends to yellow a lot over time).

Reply 16429 of 52357, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Tried just bumping it to 200MHz FSB? Had a 730 the CT-479/P4GD1 combo myself many years ago, the P4GPL-X are the cut down version. 😀 I remember also something about configuring the CT-479 to 100MHz FSB instead of 133MHz helped FSB overclocking.

Not recently. It's been years and I'm not sure what it's stable at. Alas, I got an Asus CUBX that I need to put together that takes priority.

The P4GPL-X and P4GD1 were not released in the US. Even overseas, they were relatively rare. Had my parents buy my P4GPL-X on a visit to China. They could not find a P4GD1.

Random threads of US people complaining:
http://www.overclock.net/t/51269/where-can-i- … y-an-asus-p4gd1
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/i … dex.php?t-77420.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asus-p4g … -pci-e.1582278/

Reply 16430 of 52357, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just recieved... crazy great conditio... like new!

For the first look i thought (from the pictures from above) that it is some SCSI drive controller or somethign like that... When I recieved card it appears that it is a RAM expansion slot... Have you ever heard of CyberRam or Adlib Multimedia Connector? I cant find anything...

Please help guys...

Attachments

• BATYRA_AdLibASB64WaveAddons.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_AdLibASB64WaveAddons.jpg
    File size
    122.32 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AdLib ASB 64 Wave
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • BATYRA_AdLibASB64Wave.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_AdLibASB64Wave.jpg
    File size
    206.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AdLib ASB 64 Wave
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 16431 of 52357, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Batyra wrote:

For the first look i thought (from the pictures from above) that it is some SCSI drive controller or somethign like that... When I recieved card it appears that it is a RAM expansion slot... Have you ever heard of CyberRam or Adlib Multimedia Connector? I cant find anything...

Please help guys...

Pretty sure Cyberram was used for Audio card Ram upgrades.

Reply 16432 of 52357, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Asomodai wrote:
Batyra wrote:

Please help guys...

Pretty sure Cyberram was used for Audio card Ram upgrades.

EDIT...
ok I've foud something like this... Have anyone of you seen it???

Attachments

• cyber_ram.gif
    Filename
    cyber_ram.gif
    File size
    24.98 KiB
    Views
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 16433 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ cool/weird stuff but sadly really really really rare. Never knew they used this king of expansion for anything other than ram... isdn and modem option? surreal!
never saw this ram module before - or even the card itself 😐

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16434 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a picture of that same card over in this thread.
A gallery of strange sound devices

Apparently the Adlib brand was bought out and the name/logo was used for a while on products such as that card.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16435 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somebody posted an EXP Game Traveler (game port) pcmcia card on eBay for $5. MWAHAHAAHAHA. MINE!!!! 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16436 of 52357, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this in the mail...

Here next to my LCS caching controller. Already can tell that Tekram seems far more advanced software-wise. Threw my favourite "topless" memory modules in Tekram 😀

20170330_190138_zpsuertgu49.jpg

Reply 16437 of 52357, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tikoellner wrote:
Found this in the mail... […]
Show full quote

Found this in the mail...

Here next to my LCS caching controller. Already can tell that Tekram seems far more advanced software-wise. Threw my favourite "topless" memory modules in Tekram 😀

20170330_190138_zpsuertgu49.jpg

Wow!!! Those are nice looking. Congrats. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16438 of 52357, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. I made some initial benchmarks and Tekram seems MUCH faster than LCS - at least when used with CF card.

Speedsys reports as follows:

TEKRAM:
Random access time: 0.77ms
Buffered read speed: 18216 KB/s
Linear verify speed: 310066 KB/s
Linear read speed: 2091 KB/s

LCS:
Random access time: 1.07 ms
Buffered read speed: 15073 KB/s
Linear verify speed: 74872 KB/s
Linear read speed: 1011 KB/s

I can't believe the results can vary to this extent. I did not change other components or settings.