VOGONS

First post, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Diamond Viper V770, and it has pretty bad image banding (at least that's what I think it's called) in Windows. The card itself is operationally fine. 3D runs fine, perfectly matching my Creative TNT2 in 3DMark.

Physically, the card seems fine. I can't make out any physical damage to the card. Is there a fix for this?

Kv5yUwe.jpg

Reply 1 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, that's not banding (which means color gradients are not smooth but get banded because some bit resolution is lost), that's ghosting.

Usually this is caused if video bandwidth is higher than the system can support (card output, cable, or monitor input), or the signals are not properly terminated.

First thing is to try another (better, shorter) VGA cable, or clean card and monitor connectors. If that does not help, try another monitor. Finally it could just be the card output that sucks.

Most likely it's the cable though.

Reply 3 of 11, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The current VGA cable works fine with a Creative TNT2 (and every other video card so far). Nevertheless, I tried another VGA cable. Still has ghosting. The monitor is the same one I've used for many other video cards as well.

How to clean the VGA connector on the card?

Reply 4 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the other card that looks better have the same resolution and refresh rate? Because they need to match or the comparison is useless.

If yes, then it might be that the video card that has ghosting is just very cheaply made card that was not originally meant to output such high resolutions anyway.
Or maybe some components are broken or getting old.
Can you post a picture of the card?

Reply 5 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what about the "auto configure/adjust" feature of lcd panels? maybe that fixes the issue?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

what about the "auto configure/adjust" feature of lcd panels? maybe that fixes the issue?

I can't really see how that would fix this - but it does not hurt either.

Reply 7 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I have seen many strange things when you try lots of VGAs, almost none are the same and the panel needs to "re calibrate" if it does not do that automatically. From off-center screen to shimmering and moving pixels , especially on older ISA cards. Worth a try 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 11, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried the auto adjust, still doesn't work. When you boot it into Windows desktop, it actually looks fine. Only when you start opening Windows does the ghosting happen. I assume one of the VGA pins is not making a good signal or something. But physically, I don't see any damage. Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Reply 9 of 11, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My GeForce 256 DDR is having exactly the same issue. I believe it is somehow damaged RAMDAC or the output filters.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10 of 11, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

My GeForce 256 DDR is having exactly the same issue. I believe it is somehow damaged RAMDAC or the output filters.

Second that, fortunately my GeForce DDR also got a DVI connector.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel