VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PumpkinPaladin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I know this problem has been brought up several times in the past, but I've never understood any of the solutions people have offered.
So, I recently purchased a cd of Turrican II for dos and copied the ripped the files onto my hard drive. I then attempted to run the game in DosBox, but had the usual problems of the graphics corrupting and the sound not working. The install program wasn't working either. I tried to follow solutions I found online, but they either didn't work, or I misunderstood them.
I know how to do basic tasks in DosBox such as mounting drives, but I can't figure out to get this running properly. I'm sorry for the redundancy of this post, but as I've said before, I've checked everywhere on the web, and didn't understand any of the solutions. Help would be much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PumpkinPaladin wrote:

I know this problem has been brought up several times in the past, but I've never understood any of the solutions people have offered.

Rather than waste time writing a new explanation of something you don't understand, perhaps you can bring up an example of something you've seen that you don't understand?

Reply 2 of 4, by PumpkinPaladin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, sure. On the official DosBox lisiting for Turrican 2, Sharky posted a fix for the problem:

You need these files: […]
Show full quote

You need these files:

msd/gus.msd
msd/pas16.msd
msd/sb16.msd
msd/sb.msd
msd/sbpro.msd
msd/wss.msd
omd/pas16.omd
omd/sb16.omd
omd/sb.omd
omd/sbpro.omd
omd/wss.omd
english.lng
oversmpl.exe
readme
t2.exe

then create "turrican.bat" with these 4 lines:

turrican.bat:

@if exist turrican.cfg goto ok
@echo.>turrican.cfg
:ok
@if not exist gus.msd oversmpl off
@set t2dir=.
@t2.exe

then run "turrican.bat"

Configure SoundBlaster16 with a220 int7 dma5
or
Configure UltraSound with a240 int5 dma3

Dosbox

oversmpl off needs 3300 cycles
oversmpl on needs 10000 cycles

Enjoy!,
Sharky

Since there already exists a file named Turrican.bat I modified the existing one with the proposed changes. I also changed the cycles in DosBox's settings, and configured the soundcard from the games glitchy menu.
Nothing happened, except that all the text on the setup menu buttons were gone.
I've also read elsewhere that you need to change the @set t2dir= value to the path to run Turrican II (Turrican 2 - Supported by DOSBox?). I wasn't sure if they meant the path on your hard drive, or the path within DosBox. I tried both. Nothing changed.
I also tried installing it in a sub-directory. While the setup program at least ran this time, most of its options didn't work, and the game was still corrupted (https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues/22). So yeah, I'm really stuck here.

Reply 3 of 4, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PumpkinPaladin wrote:

On the official DosBox lisiting for Turrican 2, Sharky posted a fix for the problem...
...Since there already exists a file named Turrican.bat I modified the existing one with the proposed changes.

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=1937&letter=T

I don't think "Sharky" was installing from a game CD.
I think he had a zipped-up folder of the installed game, and that's why he had to create his own "turrican.bat" file.

PumpkinPaladin wrote:

I've also read elsewhere that you need to change the @set t2dir= value to the path to run Turrican II (Turrican 2 - Supported by DOSBox?). I wasn't sure if they meant the path on your hard drive, or the path within DosBox. I tried both. Nothing changed.

Qbix would have been referring to DOSBox's C: folder -- the folder that was mounted as C: in DOSBox.
DOSBox will not see any folder that isn't mounted in DOSBox, and DOSBox instructions are clear that you should not mount the Windows C: folder as C: in DOSBox. Why? Because you probably don't want your Windows C: folder clotted up with old game files, assuming Windows even allows DOSBox to put them there.

Let's assume you have a folder properly mounted as DOSBox's C: drive.
What happens when you install the game to DOSBox's C: drive?
Does the game install to C:\turrican by default?

Qbix at Turrican 2 - Supported by DOSBox? posted:

Qbix wrote:

or install the game in
c:\turrican\

It looks there by default. (it looks for c:\turrican\turrican.cfg)

Have you tried this?
Did the game install to a C:\turrican folder?

and is there is a folder called turrican.cfg inside of C:\turrican ?
C:\turrican\turrican.cfg
Are there files and/or folders inside of the turrican.cfg folder?

Do you see the omd and msd folders that Sharky mentioned inside of either C:\turrican or C:\turrican\turrican.cfg?

Reply 4 of 4, by PumpkinPaladin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everyone,
Thank you for the help, but after several days of painful research and experimentation, I solved the problem. The game now runs fine. It turns out it had do with the directory and the name of the virtual drive. As I understand it, some games really want you to name your drive "C:" or they won't run. This was the case here. Also, I had to create two sub-directories, one called "Game" with all the main files in it, and one called turrican.cfg with nothing in it. I then ran the install program and let it install the game to the turrican.cfg folder. After that, I ran turrican.bat, set up sound and video options, and the game ran fine. Except for Gravis Ultrasound- that still won't work for some reason. But Soundblaster Pro works perfectly as a replacement. Again, thanks for the help.