VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone has any advice on how to remove sticker residue from memory modules, motherboards and cache chips without damaging them?
They are usually just price stickers that someone has just put on to old hardware.

Reply 1 of 10, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know our local electronics shop has spray for this but I always thought it was a bit pricy to try. Should be somewhat less than 10 euros.
Just checked, thay currently stock (all about 5 euros in 200ml cans):
- due ci E-21
- teslanol label off

tme.eu would be an online source, farnell is somewhat faster and pricier but you can find a local distributor easier.

Reply 5 of 10, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

Would using isopropyl alcohol work and not damage anything? Just asking because I already have it and I would not need to buy anything.

I routinely use isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) for cleaning electronics, so go for it. I buy the cheapest stuff that says isopropanol on it, so far it's been gasoline additive to prevent it from freezing (bensiinin jäänestoaine). Some of them may contain ethanol in addition to isopropanol, usually it does not matter, but might leave a small oily residue.

Reply 8 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I managed to scratch all the white stuff from the sticker with just my finger nails and that just left the transparent sticky residue on cache ships of the motherboard that I got today. I'll probably try the isopropyl alcohol on it tomorrow.

Reply 9 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The absolute best thing I have found is any type of citrus essential oil.

Lemon, Orange, etc.

If you don't have essential oils, you can also use a citrus based furniture polish.

It works way better than isopropyl, goo gone, or any of the other sticky stuff removal concoctions I have tried.

For small things, just get a q-tip wet and rub it around. Then use the dry end to finish wiping it off.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK