VOGONS

First post, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a Number Nine Imagine 128 PCI video card recently. I think that the card represents a major leap in the state of graphic cards with it's (industry first) 128 bus speed. Even though it was released in 1994, I had some difficulty in locating the Windows 3x drivers. In the Vogons Library, the later OS drivers (95/98) are available. Happily, the WayBack Machine came through for me.

For submission to the Vogons Driver Library

Imagine 128 Windows 3x driver and utilities ver. 2.32 : https://web.archive.org/web/19970607040836/ht … ne/128w3232.exe

Imagine 128 Refresh rate Utility for use in DOS applications, loads in Autoexec.bat https://web.archive.org/web/19970607040836/ht … ne/irefresh.exe

In addition- the Video For Windows application referenced, but unavailable can be found for download here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.as … 714F985898CB%7D

I thought of uploading these onto the Vogons Driver Site, but I don't have the login for that. I hope these warrant addition to the library, and that they may be helpful to somebody, sometime.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 2 of 4, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could have asked: ftp://retronn.de/driver/NumberNine/Imagine128/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Neat, the first PC I personally owned (rather than the family) came with a Number Nine Imagine 128 Series 2, the sequel. (I added a Voodoo2, then later replaced them both with a Voodoo3 3000 PCI.)

Oddly enough, *somewhere* along the line in the first few years after I got it, I saw that a video BIOS/firmware update was available for the Imagine 128 Series 2. Number Nine asked for you to send away for it by mail, and as it turned out, it wasn't to be flashed - I received a chip ready to be installed in a socket! I extracted the original BIOS chip, and installed the new one. No idea what it fixed, I was just always the sort of person who liked installing the latest and greatest firmware. If I ever get a chance, I'll see what sort of documentation about all these foggy memories I can cough up.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 4, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

...I extracted the original BIOS chip, and installed the new one. No idea what it fixed, I was just always the sort of person who liked installing the latest and greatest firmware. If I ever get a chance, I'll see what sort of documentation about all these foggy memories I can cough up.

You and me both. It is almost like being driven to upgrade, update and improve stuff! Probably quite unlike you, I don't know when to quit. i have been known to "tweak" till I break it. 🤣 On the upside- the restorations are usually much quicker second time around.

Rhuwyn wrote:

Very nice. I have one of these cards but haven't really messed with it. What's your experience been with it?

Have not yet gotten it installed, from what I have found by researching; it should be very fast in Windows 3.x and all things 2d. Has an on board Cirrus Logic 5422 chip with dedicated 512k to handle DOS applications. Card is not VESA 2 capable on it's own and needs SDD, UniVBE or other VESA app to access memory above 512k in DOS... as I understand it. The card has 4mb total memory. Really interested to see how it performs in DOS games. I'll post after I get it installed and running. I always wanted one of these when I was younger- could never afford it. You know how that goes! 🤣

elianda wrote:

WOW! You are on my Christmas list! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! A treasure trove of goodies!!! 😲

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.