VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I am looking at old motherboards on ebay. The prices just seem really high. I'm talking about 286, 386, 486 and even socket 5 motherboards. Do people really pay $150-$200 from these or are the ones left just the ones that didn't sell?
What is the normal price you have paid for these motherboards?

Reply 1 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you need to buy right now, and don't have time to bid, then yes, prices from the recycles are steep.

But there are lots of cheaper options if you have time, don't mind buying from foreign countries and like a bit of risk.

No such thing as a normal price. Could be free for many of us, because people know "we collect old computers".

But also in general, you are quite late, many of us have been doing this for many years, so we have seen many bargains come along 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do have a lot of old computer parts. I just have not been collecting them for long. They are just parts from computers I had 20-30 years ago. Another thing is that if I were to sell something on ebay, should I just follow the prices I see for similar components or would that result as nobody buying it? I suppose main thing I lack is experience of knowing when I see a bargain and when something is overpriced. That is something I would like to learn from those people who have been doing this longer.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, sorry, I don't know if people really buy them (btw, ever tried to get an original AdLib card ? They often go for $200 to ~$400; and sometimes that's just for the bare card!).
But I do know that prices went high in the last five years or so.
Once (sowhen in the 2000s) there was a time when such systems could be found for free on the road side.
Though that time is long gone by now. I'm afraid most of them went the way of recycling already.
Now, Pentium III or Athlon systems took the place of these systems (in terms of price and availability).
If you're lucky, you'll also find 386 mainboards *cheaply* for about 50€.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//