VOGONS

First post, by enloop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am assuming kernelex running XP/2000 compatibility could perhaps sometimes allow newer video drivers to be installed on win98.
If you really can't this whole thread goes to shit.

I would love to hear:
ahem..

• Your experiences about doing this sort of thing as to problems you've encountered
  • solutions/workarounds to making it work
  • what typically were the odds in your opinion that testing any newer incompatible driver would work or not

The next question goes to people who owns any of these Nvidia gfx card models:
Geforce:

• GeForce 8800 Ultra
  • GeForce 8800
  • GTXGeForce 8800
  • GTS(G80)

Quadro:

• Quadro FX 5600
  • Quadro FX 4600
  • Quadro Plex 2100 S4

Tesla:

• Tesla C870
  • Tesla D870
  • Tesla S870

Have any of you attempted to do something similar with these cards under windows 98? Did any weird problems occur? I know that these cards had no support for win98 at all but you never know. These are the cards I'm most interested in so your input would be very helpful. I'm looking for the highest stability i.e. fewest crashes or errors.

Here's a second list that I'm also considering but I feel might be even less likely to work due to being even newer:
Geforce:

• GeForce GTS 250
  • GeForce 9800 GX2
  • GeForce 9800 GTX
  • GeForce 9800 GT
  • GeForce 8800 GTS(G92)
  • GeForce 8800 GT
  • GeForce 9600 GT
  • GeForce 9500 GT
  • GeForce 9400 GT
  • GeForce 8600 GTS
  • GeForce 8600 GT
  • GeForce 8500 GT
  • GeForce G110M
  • GeForce 9300M GS
  • GeForce 9200M GS
  • GeForce 9100M G
  • GeForce 8400M GT
  • GeForce G105M

Quadro:

• Quadro FX 4700 X2
  • Quadro FX 3700
  • Quadro FX 1800
  • Quadro FX 1700
  • Quadro FX 580
  • Quadro FX 570
  • Quadro FX 470
  • Quadro FX 380
  • Quadro FX 370
  • Quadro FX 370 Low Profile
  • Quadro NVS 450
  • Quadro NVS 420
  • Quadro NVS 290
  • Quadro NVS 295
  • Quadro Plex 2100 D4
  • Quadro FX 3800M
  • Quadro FX 3700M
  • Quadro FX 3600M
  • Quadro FX 2800M
  • Quadro FX 2700M
  • Quadro FX 1700M
  • Quadro FX 1600M
  • Quadro FX 770M
  • Quadro FX 570M
  • Quadro FX 370M
  • Quadro FX 360M
  • Quadro NVS 320M
  • Quadro NVS 160M
  • Quadro NVS 150M
  • Quadro NVS 140M
  • Quadro NVS 135M
  • Quadro NVS 130M
  • Quadro NVS 450
  • Quadro NVS 420
  • Quadro NVS 295

The next step is that if we see that most of these are working with kernelex XP or 2000 compatibility then collecting benchmarks for optimal performance/stability could be accumulated for further study. I'll be waiting for your responses...... 😵

Reply 1 of 7, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simply put : It doesn't work that way.
Can you run driver installer in KernelEX ?
Probably.
Can you run driver itself in KernelEX ?
No way.
Drivers are files, not a executable programs.

Also, driver model for 2000/XP is too different from DOS/Win 98 for this to actually work.
It's not the question of patching compatibility by using KernelEX.

Example : Can you run Linux driver on Windows ?
Because that's how different XP is to Win 98 driver wise.

I do own a 8800 GTX, and I did try running Win 98 SE on it by using "moded 82.69" drivers.
It doesn't work (crash, after driver instalation restart - "Widows Protection" error just before desktop screen), but you can run it with VGA driver only mode (which is pointless).
There never was a DX10 GPU driver for Win 98, and simply adding a GPU's name to a driver list and replacing few .inf and.sys files will not change that (G80 is far too different to NV40/G70).

157143230295.png

Reply 2 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your assumption is incorrect OP. You cannot install NT drivers (winXP) on a win9x OS, irregardless of what kernel enhancements you add to it. To install newer drivers one would need to modify the drivers themselves witch is no easy feat.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Driver_Model
https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/hardware/d … el-design-guide

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by enloop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Your assumption is incorrect OP. You cannot install NT drivers (winXP) on a win9x OS, irregardless of what kernel enhancements you add to it. To install newer drivers one would need to modify the drivers themselves witch is no easy feat.

See so the thread did go 2 shit 😢 Life isn't fair.... Too bad there's nobody smart/dedicated enough to just have a program to make it drivers backwards compatible automatically and bam. Well thank you guys for clearing that.

Reply 5 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
enloop wrote:

Too bad there's nobody smart/dedicated enough to just have a program to make it drivers backwards compatible automatically and bam.

Maybe the people who art smart/dedicated enough also recognize that their talents are better spent elsewhere than trying to work out some awful kludge for an operating system that's twenty years old. 😜

Reply 6 of 7, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
enloop wrote:

See so the thread did go 2 shit 😢 Life isn't fair.... Too bad there's nobody smart/dedicated enough to just have a program to make it drivers backwards compatible automatically and bam. Well thank you guys for clearing that.

Seriously? You got completely legitimate answers by multiple people who informed you how Kernel EX works as well as how drivers work then you come back with a childish response of "life isn't fair" and that the thread went to shit (only in your mind did it go to shit), then on top of it you insult people. 😐

Windows 98 SE is what it is, a close to 20 year old OS. The last "modern" gaming video cards that work on Win 98 SE is GeForce 6800 Ultra, or Radeon X850 Series cards.

You can view what cards are supported officially here (Nvidia) and here (ATI).

Yes, you can still technically use Win98 SE as a daily driver in 2017 via Kernel EX, a good firewall, and a decent anti-virus (ClamWin still works, and you can have ClamWin real time scanning with Clam Sentinel) but overall you're severely limited.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't think of a Windows 9x game (meaning a game that won't run under XP) that doesn't run maxed out on a GeForce 4 / FX / 6800 / Radeon 9000 / X800 series card. Maybe mention the game you are trying to run to give some context?

YouTube, Facebook, Website