VOGONS

First post, by OptiplexG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if this will work or not. I remember reading something about HDD cache causing an issue, and I know drive size is a concern. I have 2 systems right now. A Dell GX1 500mhz PIII with A BX440 PIIX4e, and a XPS B1000 1000mhz PIII With an i820. I haven't tested these machines yet beyond bios and post. I don't have the hard drives yet.

The GX1 is UDMA33. I think what I'm going to do is install run DOS on the GX1 with a 2GB CompactFlash adapter. I'm pretty sure the XPS I'm has UDMA66 but it could be a 100 controller. On the XPS I was thinking about running windows 98SE using a PCI SATA card and maybe using like a 128MB SSD.

I don't think I'll run into any issue with DOS and the Compact Flash it seems like a lot of people have done it that way. What are your guys thoughts on the SATA/SSD setup? Will I run into any issues? I know the drives are going to be heavily throttled over the PCI bus or the ATA controller but I really want to put new hard drives in these things if I can. Reliability of a 15 year old HDD is my main concern.

Reply 1 of 3, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a GX1 as well and it runs MS-DOS perfectly. Integrated ethernet, video, sound all work perfectly. Drivers for Windows 3.x, 9x, 2000, NT4 and XP are available straight from Dell's site.

Should have no issues with the CF card setup. You can buy cheap IDE drives off eBay if you look hard enough but another item to consider is a SATA to IDE adapter... if you have any spare SATA drives that might be your cheapest option.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PCI SATA controllers work just fine.

The ones with the Promise S150 chipset are good. TX2 (2 sata) or TX4 (4 sata)

The SX4 one will NOT work with anything below 2000/XP

There are also a few other ones that support 98SE, and should work fine in DOS as well, I just have't actually tested them myself.

SSDs make them fly 😁

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't get caught up with the transfer rates, on these slow machines it's the access time that makes the difference 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website