First post, by jackydany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all together,

i have a new Mainboard

ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4
Rev 1.3

U7 is missing, i dont know what this chip does or is needed for.
But i am searching for someone who can tell me how to get one of these (read old one, burn new one etc).

It would be nice if someone can help me out.

download/file.php?id=23091&mode=view

Thanks in advance

Stefan

Reply 1 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
XP55T2P4.png
Filename
XP55T2P4.png
File size
965.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Which one do you mean? The chip at [2] is TAG SRAM for additional cache (that goes in the slot beside), but I'm not sure what [1] is for.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 16, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's this one.

I hope someone else has a board with the chip so I do not have to find my board as I have no idea where it is and enough big boxes with motherboards to spend days searching...

XP55T2P4.png
Filename
XP55T2P4.png
File size
1015.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 16, by jackydany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi and thanks for the support.

I just received the board and havent tested yet. Although the last owner told me its not wiorking without, but its a nice board and it was cheap (4€) so i bought it "blind" 😁

Yes its the U7 socket marked in RED.

Have read about it, that its some sort of GAL, but i dont know and cant find any information anywhere.....

Depending on you guys 😁

Thanks

Reply 6 of 16, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The little part of the logo does suspiciously look like Lattice, and the fact that it has a sticker is another hint - if it is indeed a GAL chip, you can't just buy a new one, it needs to be programmed too. The 'program' needs to be read from another board (this might also get hard).

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If they did you could program a search tree into an Arduino and map it out. Check response on each pin for all six states (high, low. high rising edge, high falling edge, etc). The gate count on the PLD will tell you how many levels you have (at maximum). The only requirement would be identifying the input, output, and clock pins. Even easier would be if they haven't blown the efuse and you can directly read the configuration from the chip.

Reply 10 of 16, by jackydany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

i think the only way will be to read from another chip and program a new one.
otherwise it will be too expensive and too time consuming.
i i cant find a way to get this chip, the board will end up as a spare part sadfully....

Reply 11 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this board and that revision, but I don't have any chip reader unfortunately.

I could ship it to Keropi (who has a chip reader and programmer) given he is willing to help out and if jackydany pays shipping costs back and forth.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 16, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simplest PAL/GAL/ATF programmer/reader can be made out of few cheap components, DB25 connector, IC socket and some resistors. Can be constructed on a breadboard or by directly wiring everything up.

Reply 13 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's one using a parallel port:
http://elm-chan.org/works/pgal/report_e.html

Or you can just get a G540 for around 50 USD.

Reply 14 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not buying a chip reader just for to help out reading my chip on my board. I can send it off to someone who has one if the threadstarter covers the shipping costs.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes