What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 780 of 5962, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Finished the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion last night in Baldur's Gate. Man, Durlag's Tower side quest is massive, and super difficult! By itself, it seemed to be about 15 hrs of gameplay. The other three side quests combined for probably 5 hrs. 20 hrs for an expansion pack? That's awesome. And completing it gets you all the XP you need to max your characters out before the final battle. Now, on to defeat Sarevok. Butt-kicking for goodness!

edit: thinking ahead to what I want to play next. Before I jump into Baldur's Gate II (possibly another 100 hrs??), I'm going to play something short and sweet on my 486, for some MS-DOS lovin'. I'm trying to decide between Eric the Unready, Star Trek 25th Anniversary, and Quest for Glory I VGA. Any opinions?

QFG1 for sure (I believe it was initially called Hero's Quest back when I played it) as it is way more polished and fun than the other two.. I enjoyed ST25 for what it is, but it's a mediocre adventure game to be honest.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 781 of 5962, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mortyr 2093 - 1944, anyone know that game ?

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 783 of 5962, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been really enjoying Gothic 2 lately - a game I've started countless times but never finished. I'd lost my previous saves so am back to square one, but the opening act of this game is such a masterpiece that I'm quite happy to be revisiting some favourite locales - like Lobarts farm for example, pictured below.

I'm playing on my P4 Cedar Mill / 8800GTX machine which handles it well - quite a demanding game actually. I love nearly everything about this game but hightlights for me are the combat - which is quite tactical, the handcrafted world full of hidden valleys and useful loot for those who bother to look, and the unique atmosphere.

The graphics were panned on release apparently, but I think it looks amazing. Great sound track too.

G2_zpsiqibhvyy.jpg

Last edited by badmojo on 2017-05-08, 02:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 784 of 5962, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Checking out Gothic on GOG. Have you played the others in the series? Is it imperative to start with Gothic 1?

After finishing Baldur's Gate, I'm wanting something a little lighter and shorter. I started playing Eric the Unready on my 486. Playing in 800x600 16 colors. The music is really nice and relaxing, quite good for FM. The humor is pretty good, but sometimes tries a little too hard. Some eye-rolling jokes and even a line that would get Gemini in trouble (knights joking about pillaging villages and raping women).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 785 of 5962, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Checking out Gothic on GOG. Have you played the others in the series? Is it imperative to start with Gothic 1?

No I'd start with G2 - Gothic 1 is excellent but just a little too primitive with regards to the controls, etc. People complain about the controls in G2 also but if you take your time to learn them I think that they really add to the enjoyment - just mashing the attack button won't work. Each enemy has a new rhythm to master with melee weapons - bows are a good option too.

And no you don't need to have played G1 for G2 to make sense - there are some references but nothing serious.

For G2 I'd recommend:

- trying the demo first: https://www.fileplanet.com/151400/150000/file … Gothic-II-Demo-
- not installing the 'Night of the Raven' add-on initially, vanilla G2 is hard enough as it is and NOTR makes it much harder again.
- using Vurts texture mod: https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads … aphics-Overhaul
- upping the mouse rotation: https://steamcommunity.com/app/39510/discussi … 19057059223556/ (I use 6.0 from memory)
- save often!

G3 is also a favorite of mine but the devs over reached with that one; it's too big. G2 is a really manageable world.

Reply 786 of 5962, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrau wrote:
Godlike wrote:

Mortyr 2093 - 1944, anyone know that game ?

kinda, did they patch those bugs already? is this playable now?

It's an old unfamous game from 1999. Got specific atmosphere of WW2 easily understandable by European, especially by eastern europeans. Lot of bugs-true, but works fine for me on XP rig.
Note that may occur some speed issues on different hardware, however if someone is a fan of FPS games then shold see that odd fpp game imo
Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOIzXmOcDs

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 787 of 5962, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone played the new Prey? I heard its pretty much a new System Shock - SS2 is one of my favourite games so I'll definitely grab this if its true.

Or is it more like Bioshock in space?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 788 of 5962, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a steam key for the 2006 prey yesterday. A lot of older games just disappear from steam like TOCA 3 and others.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 789 of 5962, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I bought a steam key for the 2006 prey yesterday. A lot of older games just disappear from steam like TOCA 3 and others.

The original Prey had a really interesting history but was surprisingly good for a game that was stuck in development hell for so long.

I didn't know there was a new one, I'll have to check it out.

Reply 790 of 5962, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played the first Prey on the Xbox 360 and femember it being a pretty mediocre corridor shooter that copied and xecuted the portal gimmick really well..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 791 of 5962, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm except Prey came out before Portal, so Portal xecuted the Prey trick, and the Xbone version was a port. Try it on PC some time, it's great.

Reply 792 of 5962, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

And then you get the games that come back like Age of empires 2 at an insane price 😒

Reply 793 of 5962, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

Anyone played the new Prey? I heard its pretty much a new System Shock - SS2 is one of my favourite games so I'll definitely grab this if its true.

Or is it more like Bioshock in space?

More like Doom + Dead Space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QCR6nOPOLc
If you fan of SS2 then play Sec Mod 3 or System Shock Infinite

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 794 of 5962, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After playing Eric the Unready for a couple of hours, I am reminded why I never got much into adventure games. My brain does not like guessing every combination of using this on that, especially when it's not a logical thing to try. I have to admit, though, Eric has an entertaining story and is very clever with its responses to random attempts and more often than not, gets a chuckle out of me. My workaround: have a walkthru up on the next screen and consult it whenever I get tired of guessing.

Reply 795 of 5962, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While capturing some background footage, I ended up trying to play Drakan Order of the Flame a little bit more serious. I looked up a guide as to what to do, but even on easy, I just die all the time in combat. A real shame as the graphics look nice and I am keen to get deeper into the game. Might have to see if there is a trainer or cheats 😁

The game is quite CPU demanding, a 400 MHz Slot 1 CPU clearly struggles in some areas.

Reply 796 of 5962, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Playing MicroProse GP2 1999 (ver 1.0b) on getting stuck/bored while troubleshooting the segmentation fault(when mixer.needed crosses the magic figure of 513) during the loading of savestate in this game. When that too gets bored, driving around the circuit in the reverse while avoiding the train of cars coming from the opposite direction makes my day.

The year raises fond memories of my introduction to the world of F1 racing during my college years, especially the Mika Hakkinen vs Michael Schumacher battle. An addiction that went on for a long period till it got boring due to so many rule changes few years back.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 797 of 5962, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

While capturing some background footage, I ended up trying to play Drakan Order of the Flame a little bit more serious. I looked up a guide as to what to do, but even on easy, I just die all the time in combat. A real shame as the graphics look nice and I am keen to get deeper into the game. Might have to see if there is a trainer or cheats 😁

The game is quite CPU demanding, a 400 MHz Slot 1 CPU clearly struggles in some areas.

Another game I hadn't heard of. 1999 was the year my gaming really tailed off. I was 30 yrs old and going through a lot personally and professionally. I bet there's a ton of great games I missed out on, but it also explains my draw to DOS games today, since that was my gaming heyday. I'll be curious if you continue testing this game as you climb the Pentium 2/3 ladder, at what cpu this game becomes very smooth on.

Reply 798 of 5962, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea that is the idea. It is part of the GPU benchmarks, so that should give a good idea of what GPU is required, but it definitely needs a stronger CPU that's for sure.

Reply 799 of 5962, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nox!

Awsome game for it's story and even more awesome in multiplayer, it's diablo on roids.

nox1.jpg
Filename
nox1.jpg
File size
58.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The online multiplayer still works! It seems that somehow westwood redirected the server to an unofficial one. It's just to log on 😀