VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16900 of 52725, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this Tyan S1462 dual Socket 7 PCI/EISA board for surprisingly cheap on ebay, was the only bid. It was something like 30 dollars.

Anyways, it posts fine using a single 75 and 133mhz pentium, now I have to get matching 166 Pentium chips and make a dual pentium workstation 😀

The RTC module still seems to have saved BIOS, time and date settings from when it was last used interestingly.

Also, this board has the Intel Neptune chipset for future reference.

Attachments

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 16901 of 52725, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cj_reha wrote:
Got this Tyan S1462 dual Socket 7 PCI/EISA board for surprisingly cheap on ebay, was the only bid. It was something like 30 doll […]
Show full quote

Got this Tyan S1462 dual Socket 7 PCI/EISA board for surprisingly cheap on ebay, was the only bid. It was something like 30 dollars.

Anyways, it posts fine using a single 75 and 133mhz pentium, now I have to get matching 166 Pentium chips and make a dual pentium workstation 😀

The RTC module still seems to have saved BIOS, time and date settings from when it was last used interestingly.

I used to own this exact motherboard at one point in time. Maximum ram capacity is 512MB using 64MB EDO SIMMS, and maximum processor configuration is 166 Mhz MMX. The board's jumpers on it and the manual actually state maximum is 133. But if you install 166's it'll boot. They have to be the same though. I had issues getting it to work in dual mode until I matched two off ebay from a listing with two matched ones. Works with Windows 2000 (SP3 or SP4 only), and voodoo2 SLI worked well with it too.

Reply 16903 of 52725, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice 430NX board. I'd definitely like to grab one for a classic Pentium system.

Does anybody know if you can still use dual CPUs with powerleap adapters? It might be possible to do a dual 233 or 266MMX (tillamook).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 16905 of 52725, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:
Got this Tyan S1462 dual Socket 7 PCI/EISA board for surprisingly cheap on ebay, was the only bid. It was something like 30 doll […]
Show full quote

Nice board, I have the S1562 (ISA not ESIA) dual 233MMX I think installed.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 16907 of 52725, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

Socket 4 Pentium Overdrive. Now I need help finding a Socket 4 motherboard (or if anyone lives in the PDX area that would let me put this in their socket 4 system).

I might be wrong, but that looks like a Socket 3 pentium Overdrive... the socket 4 model is quite a bit larger and the sticker has blue lettering (at least the ones I've seen).

Reply 16908 of 52725, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:
cj_reha wrote:
Show full quote

Nice board, I have the S1562 (ISA not ESIA) dual 233MMX I think installed.

Hmm, funny that neither S1562 nor S1462 show up on the Tyan product archives. This has always been my go-to place for Tyan stuff (sadly no longer hosted by Tyan). They do show up on ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/. So there's that.

Myself, I have a Tyan Tomcat IVD (S1564D) with dual Pentium MMX.

Reply 16909 of 52725, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boss SE-70 effect processor, for when you want all your music to sound like it has massive reverb/echos/flanging/delay/whatever. Happily connects to my SC-88VL and is MIDI controllable.

se70 2.jpg
Filename
se70 2.jpg
File size
33.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The only bad thing was that the input level knob got damaged during transit 😠 :

IMG_7364.jpg
Filename
IMG_7364.jpg
File size
607.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I used some pliers to bend it back into shape more or less, but it kinda blemishes the otherwise great condition of the module...

Reply 16910 of 52725, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't buy these, but saw them in a recycling store. Can someone help me ID them?

First seems like an 8 bit ISA card video card (with 2 outputs?) using Cirrus Logic 839 and 941 chips.

lAszNsU.jpg

Second seems like a Packard Bell 16bit ISA sound card.

qWTkxh0.jpg

Reply 16911 of 52725, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
I didn't buy these, but saw them in a recycling store. Can someone help me ID them? […]
Show full quote

I didn't buy these, but saw them in a recycling store. Can someone help me ID them?

First seems like an 8 bit ISA card video card (with 2 outputs?) using Cirrus Logic 839 and 941 chips.

<snip>

<snip>

1st: Generic ISA cirrus logic video card, looks to be maybe VGA.

2nd: Formerly known as "Packard Bell Forte 16" sound card. But if you were to scrape the sticker off you would find it's some sort of Crystal / CSS sound card. Nothing to write home about. No ms-dos wavetable support at all, and you (Probably) can't get drivers for it unless you either already have the original packard bell system, or find someone online who had it and posted the drivers online somewhere. May be on the original "Packard Bell Master Disc" CD-ROM / factory re-install disc.

Reply 16912 of 52725, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's an Aztech ISA sound card. A rebranded Aztech Nova 16 Extra, to be exact.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16913 of 52725, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
dexvx wrote:
I didn't buy these, but saw them in a recycling store. Can someone help me ID them? […]
Show full quote

<snip>

<snip>

1st: Generic ISA cirrus logic video card, looks to be maybe VGA.

2nd: Formerly known as "Packard Bell Forte 16" sound card. But if you were to scrape the sticker off you would find it's some sort of Crystal / CSS sound card. Nothing to write home about. No ms-dos wavetable support at all, and you (Probably) can't get drivers for it unless you either already have the original packard bell system, or find someone online who had it and posted the drivers online somewhere. May be on the original "Packard Bell Master Disc" CD-ROM / factory re-install disc.

Like the poster after you said.. it is an Aztech card. The drivers are readily available.. even on vogonsdrivers.com.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16914 of 52725, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skalabala wrote:

Can't the moderators organise a like button on this forum?

Likes are noise. You can always leave an insightful and encouraging reply to show your support.

Reply 16915 of 52725, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
Boss SE-70 effect processor, for when you want all your music to sound like it has massive reverb/echos/flanging/delay/whatever. […]
Show full quote

Boss SE-70 effect processor, for when you want all your music to sound like it has massive reverb/echos/flanging/delay/whatever. Happily connects to my SC-88VL and is MIDI controllable.

se70 2.jpg

The only bad thing was that the input level knob got damaged during transit 😠 :

IMG_7364.jpg

I used some pliers to bend it back into shape more or less, but it kinda blemishes the otherwise great condition of the module...

Nice! Do you have any project plans for it? Let us know if you make any videos or anything.

Reply 16916 of 52725, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
Show full quote

lAszNsU.jpg

qWTkxh0.jpg

The first one is a DFI VG1000 Cirrus logic GD-510 8bit graphics card ( is one of those card from the EGA / VGA area when VGA became the new standard. For an XT computer i would defently grab it.. (the upper connector is for 9 Pin CGA/ EGA mode) the lower connector is for VGA monitors.
I guess its having 256KB of memory onboard, which is more than enough for an XT class system.

The second card is a Aztech OEM soundcard used in a packard bell system.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 16917 of 52725, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll buy that for a dollar! It shouldn't cost too much to get this working again. I can get a MB for about 40 and a GPU for 15 if I need to. Hopefully it's just an issue of the seller not using a 150W power supply. I'm thing about putting in the 9800 Pro 256MB and 3.4GHz P4EE. Should make a sweet portable rig.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262963999525?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16918 of 52725, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Nice 430NX board. I'd definitely like to grab one for a classic Pentium system.

Does anybody know if you can still use dual CPUs with powerleap adapters? It might be possible to do a dual 233 or 266MMX (tillamook).

Tillamook chips are not dual-capable.

Reply 16919 of 52725, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got this golden beauty!

Attachments

• IMG_4651.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4651.JPG
    File size
    616.8 KiB