VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16920 of 52725, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It will go in my Socket 7 collection. Not pictured are a K6-233, Cyrix MII, and Rise MP6 which are in systems at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_4653.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4653.JPG
    File size
    2.55 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 16921 of 52725, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also got another 486 to mess around with. Compaq Deskpro. I used to use one of these at the computer store I worked at during the late 90s and I've been wanting one since.

The next step, of course, is upgrading it to the gills. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_4654.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4654.JPG
    File size
    757.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_4655.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4655.JPG
    File size
    1.9 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_4656.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4656.JPG
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_4657.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4657.JPG
    File size
    762.35 KiB
    Views
    File license

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 16922 of 52725, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:
yawetaG wrote:
Boss SE-70 effect processor, for when you want all your music to sound like it has massive reverb/echos/flanging/delay/whatever. […]
Show full quote

Boss SE-70 effect processor, for when you want all your music to sound like it has massive reverb/echos/flanging/delay/whatever. Happily connects to my SC-88VL and is MIDI controllable.

se70 2.jpg

The only bad thing was that the input level knob got damaged during transit 😠 :

IMG_7364.jpg

I used some pliers to bend it back into shape more or less, but it kinda blemishes the otherwise great condition of the module...

Nice! Do you have any project plans for it? Let us know if you make any videos or anything.

Use it for effects on any music I make, once I sort out the sound.

Turns out the bent knob caused some serious line noise until I straightened it as much as I could and almost got rid of all of the noise.
The other problem seems to be that Boss (= Roland) cheapened out on the power supply, meaning that it's some weird 12V AC unit that doesn't play nice with anything that doesn't provide a extremely clean (and likely properly grounded) input voltage, which unfortunately includes my high-quality 230/100V step down transformer 😢 . And of course a 230V AC to 12V AC adapter is almost impossible to find...
The really dumb thing is that the SE-70 converts that 12V AC to 12V DC with yet another (internal) transformer, so I fail to understand why they didn't simply include a 12V DC adapter and eliminated the internal transformer...

On the other hand, I now understand why certain CD's I have sound the way they do - Boss SE-70 + line noise from power supply issues (it makes some effects sound much more fuzzy and noisy than they're supposed to be). 🤣

Except for the noise issue, it's very nice, with two sets of 145 effects each, one for all kinds of instruments and one specially for electric guitars (which also works with General MIDI modules). Each effect has lots of parameters that can be changed. The guitar effects actually make the Sound Canvas electric guitar patches sound like a proper electric guitar, even when played with a keyboard. As expected from one of the mid-1990s best budget effect modules... 😘

Edit: Well, hooking up the voltage convertor to a grounded outlet took care of some but not all of the noise, leaving a low hum. Looking at the SE-70 schematics makes it seem like they chickened out on the noise suppressor circuitry, as the component used indeed does not filter out low frequency noise...

Last edited by yawetaG on 2017-05-11, 14:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16923 of 52725, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A free gift....good people are still living. Compaq PowerStorm 300 PCI version for Alpha based workstations. So no testing - tried it, but it somehow magically disable boot from hdd and even FDD, so can't boot even to DOS.

B6xOSlc.jpg

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 16924 of 52725, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vlask wrote:
A free gift....good people are still living. Compaq PowerStorm 300 PCI version for Alpha based workstations. So no testing - tri […]
Show full quote

A free gift....good people are still living. Compaq PowerStorm 300 PCI version for Alpha based workstations. So no testing - tried it, but it somehow magically disable boot from hdd and even FDD, so can't boot even to DOS.

B6xOSlc.jpg

Want to sell it? I actually have an Alpha and was looking for a reasonably priced PowesStorm 300 or 350 card. Currently running 4D51T.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 16925 of 52725, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:
vlask wrote:

Want to sell it? I actually have an Alpha and was looking for a reasonably priced PowesStorm 300 or 350 card. Currently running 4D51T.

Hmmm according to spec.org its about 2x faster....than yours. Exchange could be arranged if you have any working profi card for PC. Contact me through mail or PM with photos 😀 I have no use for this card, it will only lay somewhere in box...

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 16926 of 52725, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
petro89 wrote:

Just got this golden beauty!

That's a truly iconic chip. I really want one myself....an original 6x86, Cyrix branded with the rounded gold cap (I want a P166+, not the PR166). That was the one that they used in all their advertising campaigns.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 16927 of 52725, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just received 2 freebies from a friend 😁 , a Seasonic SSG-200G 200w PSU and a SOYO SY-5EAS mobo with K-6 200mhz cpu

Ib5mZqVm.jpg YscW8hem.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16928 of 52725, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCI Voodoo3 arrived today and it works, which is great.

No VGA bracket though. Anyone replaced one before?

EDIT: Woops! Ignore me, seller had just detatched it. It was still in the parcel :p

Reply 16929 of 52725, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not exactly bought, but got back my old Asus Radeon 9550 from a friend. I was letting him borrow it for several years as I was not needing it. Now that I have it back... I'm not sure if there's anything I would want to use it for, but I'm kinda glad to have it back. I finished Crysis on lowest settings back in the day on that card.

rwLTP8T.jpg

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 16931 of 52725, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote:

Not exactly bought, but got back my old Asus Radeon 9550 from a friend. I was letting him borrow it for several years as I was not needing it. Now that I have it back... I'm not sure if there's anything I would want to use it for, but I'm kinda glad to have it back. I finished Crysis on lowest settings back in the day on that card.

I always like to have my old stuff back. Get attached to things I've had for a while. My 8800GTX seems to be dead, but I wouldn't chuck it.

Bancho wrote:

Spotted this on my general browse of ebay. Was listed incorrectly. When i spotted the OPL chip i had to buy it. £5 shipped.

Sound Blaster CT2940

Nice, they seem relatively uncommon in the UK.

Reply 16933 of 52725, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, the 7220, I've been playing around with mine recently. Made certain to get an ADB keyboard/mouse - you can build adapters, but the old commercial ones are extremely rare on ebay. Didn't realise that it used a different monitor connection and had to get an adapter. Also had to do a PRAM reset before it would boot. If the battery is completely dead the system won't boot at all.

If you're trying to get BeOS PPC working (fairly pointless, but fun), note that the CDROM speed is important. It installs using the original 12x CDROM, but doesn't from some modern CD/DVD drives(!)

For some reason the network connection didn't work on mine until I re-installed Mac OS.

I was also a bit irritated to find the Mach64 based chipset doesn't support 16 colours. Wasted a small amount of money buying a Radeon 7000 PCI, which does add more resolutions and a little speed, but isn't supported under BeOS.

Reply 16934 of 52725, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty darn good day at the recycle center.

Someone stole the SBPro card out of this, but the rest was there.

IMG_4246.JPG
Filename
IMG_4246.JPG
File size
2.38 MiB
Views
File license

Diamond Monster Fusion PCI
Matrox G450 PCI
Diamond Stealth 2001 PCI (ARK2000PV)
Small AT keyboard - GREAT for the workbench area.

IMG_4245.JPG
Filename
IMG_4245.JPG
File size
2.64 MiB
Views
File license

Cards need a little TLC.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 16935 of 52725, by zerodiagonal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Samsung NoteMaster 386S/16

Just cleaned it and had some quick shots (sorry about watermark, I intend to properly document and release them).
Battery's seem to be missing something on the terminals. Inside the laptop where it goes, there's only a flat metal plaque with no way to even touch the terminals on the battery side. Most certainly deader than dead. On the bottom side there's a tab where a math co-processor can be added. The "Phone Line" is also just a cover, no expansion sadly. AC adapter was also missing. But it has it's it's original (leather'ish?) bag, feels nice and soft. Goes pretty well with my other IBM ThinkPad.

LuD4zOk.jpg
More images: http://imgur.com/a/H2FTb

Sorry about image size, thought it'd be resized automatically.

Reply 16937 of 52725, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

During an IT amnesty at work where I was expecting keyboards and mice only, we managed to acquire 4 laptops. Three not interesting, but I did pick this up and claim it.

HnHVUFQ.jpg?1

HP Omnibook Xe-2. Celeron 450mhz, 32Mb Ram and the original HP Windows 98 install on it. Charged it overnight as the rechargeable bios battery was dead and boots fine this morning. Pretty good nick as well!

Reply 16938 of 52725, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got my AMD K6-3+ from this seller. Haven't checked yet, but it's really clean for an unsoldered chip.

2017-05-12 11.51.32.jpg
Filename
2017-05-12 11.51.32.jpg
File size
2.01 MiB
Views
File license

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 16939 of 52725, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got mine there as well. I don't think these were 'unsoldered' from anything, but that they maybe mean that it was never soldered. They work fine 😀 (Yes, mine also at 600MHz).

jheronimus wrote:

Finally got my AMD K6-3+ from this seller. Haven't checked yet, but it's really clean for an unsoldered chip.

2017-05-12 11.51.32.jpg

1982 to 2001