VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone here into VR? I've owned/used a Vive now for the last year+ now. It's been amazing in my experience and has largely replaced modern gaming for me. All my gaming is now divided between pre-2000's era stuff and modern VR.

Anyone also used any of the 90's era VR? I remember the hype at the time, but never got my hands on any of those old VR headsets. Part of me wonders if it's worth trying to snag a VFX-1, just to see what it's like and how far the technology has come.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I had a few 90s VR sets.
My favorite despite having bad picture was the I/O glasses. Mostly for there versatility and light wait, that and Mw2 in 3d was really cool 😎
I had the head tracking and everything for them, real fun, but I never used them much.

Reply 2 of 10, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a VFX1, made a video about it on YouTube. It's an interesting piece of history but getting it working requires a lot of effort - there's a lot of hardware and software that needs to be configured properly. The interface board tends to blow chips if the VESA cable is inserted improperly - I had to repair mine. And the host PC needs to have a compatible video card. Not every card with a VESA feature connector will work properly. I had to try a few different S3 cards before finding one that worked well.

Assuming you can even find a VFX1 for sale (probably at least $500 for a complete set on eBay), after all that work you'll end up with a laggy, low-res VR system that's fun for ten minutes. It will definitely make you appreciate your Vive.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 3 of 10, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SiliconClassics wrote:

probably at least $500 for a complete set on eBay

😲 seriously?

SiliconClassics wrote:

after all that work you'll end up with a laggy, low-res VR system that's fun for ten minutes.

Agree with this, its fun for little while and a unique experience (especially back in '95)... more novelty now as being one of the first *affordable* consumer head tracked HMD (with stereoscopic support).

Head tracking wasn't bad, just make sure your are not next to any large metal objects (like a radiator or something) because this would interfere and you felt like you were being dragged sideways.

Cable was too short to have the computer on the floor and I was always worried I would turn my head and yank it off the shoulder level shelf it would have to be on.

You could use the cyberpuck as mouse input, which was a cool early gyro-esque mouse, but using the HMD was effectively useless given the dire resolution of the display (text labels not readable in win95).

Nice AKG drivers delivering audio in the HMD.

Overall a bit laggy iirc, but did not induce sickness like a lot of immersive VR systems did if they couldn't keep up with the movement. Providing you're not stood/sat near a radiator 😵

ISA was a restriction and quickly made it dated. I had a special K6 setup just for this (back in 2001 when it was already retro o.0).

Used to use mine with a Matrox Millenium... Descent, DukeNuken3D and Doom.

At the time i got it, I had delusions of grandeur, that I would become a professional UT player and be able to pwn everyone with my superior human-machine interface... clearly did not happen. Did not work with UT. 😵

There was also a Forte VFX3D which apparently had a better resolution than the VFX1, but I have never seen one of these in the wild.

Reply 4 of 10, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I have a HTC Vive and I am using it a lot. I mainly play Elite Dangerous. After playing it in VR, just seeing it on the screen looks hideous. However my kids love it a lot too. I own about 20 or so VR games on Steam and many of them are kid friendly. The other VR games I enjoy are Vanishing Realms, Everest VR, the Steam own games.

If you can afford it, I definitely advise anyone to get a Vive. Gaming is different after few sessions in VR.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 5 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

LGR also made a video about old-school VR glasses..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Wa6HYjqQw

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 10, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Oculus Rift DK1 which works well for what it is, but support was dropped HARD by Oculus (the DK1 won't work with newer runtime libraries, and the DK2/CV1 won't work with older runtimes that still support the DK1 ... or Mac, or Linux for that matter. There's some overlap but not much.) The hacker/indie/art project communities didn't take to it like I was hoping they would after all the DK1 stuff got sort-of open-sourced. There's still a few interesting games & tech demos out for it but what's there is what you get (and some of them have 'fallen off the internet' already.) I wouldn't buy one of the newer ones due to Oculus's "tough shit, homie" attitude towards their existing customers during that whole debacle.

I also built myself a serial-port 3D shutter glasses interface straight out of PCVR magazine, issue #2 (1992) (shame there aren't more issues of this online!), which work great for playing with DOS stuff on a CRT monitor. It's not 'fully-immersive' VR but you don't care when dodging 3D missiles in Descent II.

Would LOVE to get my hands on a VFX-1, even just to try... or a Virtuality SU2000 for that matter. 😁 Sadly I think any of those that were going to come up for sale have already been bought.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

I also built myself a serial-port 3D shutter glasses interface straight out of PCVR magazine, issue #2 (1992) (shame there aren't more issues of this online!), which work great for playing with DOS stuff on a CRT monitor. It's not 'fully-immersive' VR but you don't care when dodging 3D missiles in Descent II.

Never seen that magazine before. Thank you very much for posting a link! 😁
Reading it makes me both happy and sad. Imagine what we would have gained if the VR/Cyberpunk genre just had lasted a bit longer..
In the 90s, the break-through in VR seemed to be so close, so real.
Society was ready and cheap shutter glasses were available in game stores (beware, headache and eyestrain ahead!).

Now, 20 years later, we finally have powerful VR head-sets but none is really impressed by it.
Sure, the press sometimes mentions it - as an all-new technology. And professionals play with the idea
of actually using it (medics, architects, engineers, ..)

But that happens in the real world ? The hospital in my city is poor, is still using CRT TVs with RF cabling in the sick rooms,
has no air conditioner, and constantly has PCs problems. They aren't going to use VR for the next 30 years for sure.
The only ones who actually going to benefit from it are projects of prestige or the capital cities (their museums, amusement parks, etc).

Also, VR headsets require a lot of horse power now, making them a novelty item for the wealthy.
Back in the 90s, the average 486 could do it. Sure, a smartphone can also be used for "3D",
but the experience is not quite the same as a space ship floating a few centimeters in front of your monitor.
(The only exception that comes to my mind might be the Nintendo 3DS.)

I know, this sounds like me complaining, but it isn't. I'm just abit dissapointed, 😢
because the euphoria of the 90s is gone and things look so "sulky" now (hope that's the right English term).

Back in the 80s to mid-90s, we had public online terminals in our city (Minitel-like), for example,
and there was this feeling of being on the move to the future.
And People were actually eager to use new technology and learn more about it.

Now, everything is so.. smartphoneized and boring, I don't know. No interests in 3D laser shows anymore,
no arcade cabinets anywhere, no computer camps to go, computer or science shows on TV got cancelled, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Android tablet and wouldn't like to miss it anymore.

But.. things went out of control a bit, I would say. Why does every activity have to involve the use of a smartphone ?
Not that this is a bad thing per se, but why does it have to be always in the centre of attention ?
People are constantly staring at them, not noticing their surroundings anymore.

Also, the interest of understanding the inner workings of their devices is little to no-existend.
In th PC era (up to the late 2000s), even laymen had at least a little bit of interest in such things.

I wished a little bit of the magic of earlier times would come back somewhen, somehow.
Watching the technology evolve was so thrilling back then, I think.

I hope we're not on the way to an Idiocrazy-like future.

Edit: I forgot to make something clear: I'm not living in the past (well, ok, sort of I do ^^) and really do approve many acquisitions of modern times.
Kids and young-old people can now have access to all kind of technology easily. But on the downside, they loose the connection to the internals and
the understanding of the underlying basics. For example, an seven year old of the 1960s was able to build or fix a radio (there were DIY kits for them),
-yet even more importantly- he/she did understand the nature of it. In the 80s it was similar - kids with their Amigas did learn to operate the machine, maybe
even to program. But unlike to today, they also sometimes learned to wire up a robot arm, to upgrade their machines on their own.
There were lots of magazines telling them howto solder in some RAM chips or to replace the 68000 by an 68010. Of course, not all of them succeded with doing so,
but they at least tried to do so. So what I'm trying to say is: People of all ages had to use their brains, develops skills and had to acquire some
basic knowledge of the machine. Now everything is hi-level. Developers of tomorrow may be great a creating software, but don't know a thing about how a machine works.
Ergo, they can't fix it on their own. In an all-digital future this could be disastrous, because without working technology, they can't call the few remaing people who are knowable.

Edit: Shrinked the not-so on-topic parts of my post. I don't want to overload this nice threads with my thoughts.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote:

Anyone also used any of the 90's era VR? I remember the hype at the time, but never got my hands on any of those old VR headsets. Part of me wonders if it's worth trying to snag a VFX-1, just to see what it's like and how far the technology has come.

Hi, yes, I used one. One '90s era VR set I do have is called "CyberBoy". It connects via serial port and includes a copy of Descent II, I think.
I've taken a few pictures of it for you. It is less advanced compared to the VFX-1, though.

Attachments

• cyber1.jpg
    Filename
    cyber1.jpg
    File size
    569.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • cyber2.jpg
    Filename
    cyber2.jpg
    File size
    145.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • cyber3.jpg
    Filename
    cyber3.jpg
    File size
    563.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • cyber4.jpg
    Filename
    cyber4.jpg
    File size
    626.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • cyber5.jpg
    Filename
    cyber5.jpg
    File size
    457.59 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh my god that thing has Depth Dwellers on CD...

Has anyone ever played through that game with it's VR option?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

Oh my god that thing has Depth Dwellers on CD...

It has! 😁 Here are a few more photos taken especially for you (taken from another package)! 😀

Links
Depth Dwellers - Mobygames
http://www.mobygames.com/game/depth-dwellers

Depth Dwellers at Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_Dwellers

Depth Dwellers (Shareware version)
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/depth-dwellers/

Depth Dwellers review at Hardcoregaming101
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kusoge/kusog … pthdwellers.htm

LGR - Depth Dwellers - DOS PC Game Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSeLXmi9ZoM

Attachments

• depth0.jpg
    Filename
    depth0.jpg
    File size
    112.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • depth1.jpg
    Filename
    depth1.jpg
    File size
    226.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • depth2.jpg
    Filename
    depth2.jpg
    File size
    620.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • depth3.jpg
    Filename
    depth3.jpg
    File size
    177.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//