VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 35, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't subscribed to a lot of retro Youtubers, but this is mostly do to me either being lazy or just not interested. So i'll review a few of them:

Lazy Game Reviews:

I mostly watch his hardware episodes, i really liked his old videos, and the modern stuff i watch from his channel is mostly the thrift stores episodes. I watch them because thrift shops aren't really anything i'm used to and something i wish i could find close to me.

Ancient DOS Games:

I've been watching ADG stuff since episode 1 which was exactly when i found his pixelmusement website. I mostly like the review style, but i haven't watched as much lately as i did before, mainly because i've been keeping myself busier.

DOS Nostalgia:

This is one of the channels i support the most mainly because of the podcasts which i find really interesting. I find it really cool to hear people's stories about DOS gaming and whatnot, what they did back in day, and i mostly can relate to these people. I even like his game reviews better than LGR or ADG for instance, too bad he doesn't do them as often. He's very active on Twitter and i'm one of his followers.

Now some youtubers i'm not subscribed too:

Phil'sComputerLab:

I used to watch Phil's videos even before he was "Phil's Computer Lab" ocasionally if the topic interested me, but nowadays i don't watch any of them. Not because the videos aren't any good, in fact his production standards increased a lot, but the channel content is 50% stuff of things i already know/experienced and other 50% stuff that doesn't interest me at all like 3DFX mega benchmarks or P4 builds vs Athlon XP vs AMD 64. I experienced this period with machines side by side back in the day and pretty much got my conclusions. But all in all a good channel.

Pushing Up Roses:

It's really cool to see women interested in stuff that men usually are not. But other than a couple of videos i liked, one of them being Space Quest 1 review, i don't really watch it that much.

Retroswim:

One of the most interesting channels IMO, even though some episodes might not be of any interest to me, there's always an episode that is really great to watch. It's relaxed, informative and really interesting. Maybe i like it because at heart i'm a retro hardware geek, but whatever... i like it! 😀 (Actually i might be subscribed, don't really remember)

Cloudschatze:

Also one of the best, most interesting, channels for me. There's always something unique and interesting in there. I found the stuff really great, maybe because i'm also a musician myself, and as knoledgeable as he is there's always a gurantee i will learn something. Plus, his Tandy PC's have to be the nicest retro Tandy configurations i have ever seen. Truly epic and excellent!

HighTreason610:

HighTreason is a controversial guy around here but i enjoy most of his videos. I don't know if it is because of his musical endeavours, but i find his videos to be amusing to watch, when related to music or retro computing. One of the videos i enjoyed most recently from him was the Yamaha 724 PCI video, mostly because i know more of that card on real DOS side rather than Windows 9x perspective.

vwestlife:

Really interesting stuff in his channel. There's always plenty of retro computers going around his channel, so i watch whenever i have time/remember.

Jim Leonard:

Trixter is very IBM PC 1980's oriented, which is something that honestly Youtube needs more. If i ever start a channel, i'll probably be aiming a lot to 1980's hardware and software. Always interesting videos to watch in his channel. Good stuff!

Terry Stewart:

Great stuff focusing on computer collecting! Each video is a different piece of hardware, with a good historical overview of the hardware and demonstration of REAL HARDWARE in question being put to use. It's really interesting and a very unique channel in the way that it gives much more detailed information and some hardware dissection that other channels don't. One of my favorites. BTW, the narration is really great, the guy is from New Zealand and his accent is just amusing. The typical kiwi accent makes words like "collection" really great to hear. 🤣

Then i also watch some stuff like the EEVBlog which i find really great for electronics knowledge and dissection, he has some videos of retro computers, but really almost all of his stuff is great to watch.

Reply 21 of 35, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like I forgot to add a few more, but seeing as some of you guys have mentioned channels not exclusively working on retro stuff, I feel like I might as well note some more down:

-PortsCenter (unfortunately rather quiet for now, he's had some health issues)
-GC9X Home Video (fuckin' A stuff here, big fan of GameClub 199x Podcast and HardcoreGaming101)
-Accursed Farms
-KynikossDragonn
-leileilol
-Cloudschatze
-MADDJAKKAL (this guy had some amazing reviews on Drakan, Trespasser and Die By The Sword back in ~2009, decided to delete his stuff unfortunately. Haven't deleted him in hopes he'll reupload and do more stuff one day)
-SiliconClassics (that VFX1 vid is just pure nerdgasm)

DracoNihil wrote:

I also have a channel of my own but nothing I put there is really worth anyones time.

Hey, I enjoy your stuff 😀.

Reply 22 of 35, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CGR , LGR , Pixelmusement , AdamKoralik , HighTreason610 , MetalJesusRocks , Philscomputerlab , Gggmanlives , Waybacktech , Noah Caldwell-Gervais , DWTerminator , Retro Core , Matt Barton .

Don't necessarily watch every video from every channel , but those are the ones Im subscribed to.

Reply 23 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Hey, I enjoy your stuff 😀.

That's nice to hear, what in particular though? I don't really post a whole lot to Youtube since video editing in Linux is non-existent and I don't have anything to record video efficiently either.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 24 of 35, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, you mostly upload soundtracks and module music and really enjoy these. The GunMetal video with dynamic soundtrack was fantastic, I had never seen that game before and it's on my list after seeing that vid!

Reply 25 of 35, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kynikoss is a good guy and I'm glad someone mentioned him, plus I have no idea how anyone can get Modules to sound decent like that, so that is worth some level of respect if nothing else and he's hell-bent on accuracy. No joke, he went so far as to actually write samples out in a hex editor Byte-by-Byte to get the correct waveform.

Good to see you over here too, Kynikoss.

Seriously, that format though. A fixed rate event list...? I'd end up putting my boot through the screen if I had to work with that, I'm a MIDI guy.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 26 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah when it comes to covers I tend to become a bit obsessive-compulsive with my samples. I even had wrote a C program to produce a full period of Ricoh 2A03 noise when I started doing NES covers again.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 27 of 35, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Time to get this thread on the first page again.

I have a hard time understanding that no one has mentioned CelGenStudios yet! 😀

https://www.youtube.com/user/CelGenStudios/featured

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 28 of 35, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I subscribed:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nocito87

and on this channel is new movie about 286.

and I subscribed PhilComputerLab, and Gggmanlives.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 29 of 35, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm really enjoying Matt Barton (Matt Chat) lately. Dude gets to interview the programmers, developers and people behind all of our favorite retro games. Does the occasional DOS game review too. People like Lord British, The Fat Man, Stewart Cheifet and John Romero. Stories like how companies like Sir-Tech got started and how the Gold Box Series got developed and why SSI fell apart. Brilliant channel.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 30 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I need to write down all of these names and take a closer look.

Only ones I remember having come across are Phil, HighTreason, Swaaye, vwestlife (I think he's more a vintage-computer forum person, but I found him having used a 2.88MB floppy disk for Windows 3.1 or so) and someone else from here, but I always mix up their names 😊

I probably forgotten 1 or 2, my apologies 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 31 of 35, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I guess most are already listed but going through my subscription list which is getting way too huge I found some others

LarryBundyJr does mostly weird top lists focussing on old 8 bit computers sometimes togheter with ashes
Polaventris does c64 game reviews
electricadventures has weekly game pickups and reviews for all kinds of old systems
Transcendental Airwaves does old computer and hardware reviews and other stuff
MN12BIRD hasn't been active in a year or so but did old console game reviews

And a bunch of demoscene capture channels like c64 studio, lemmingoffence, annikras and probably some more.

Reply 32 of 35, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was searching lately looking to build a list of youtube channels I enjoy...this topic has a lot of great suggestions...I just wanted to add "Happy Console Gamer" to the list. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

Reply 33 of 35, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool. Here's a few more that I added since this thread:
electrotinkerer
dfortae
Bisqwit
RPGLoony
leileilol

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 35 of 35, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my list:
-8-Bit Keys
-LGR
-Michael MJD
-Pixelmusement (aka ADG)
-PushingUpRoses
-The 8-Bit Guy

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)